Shelter in Place: Bass Art Project

I just painted my pick guard using a technique called “pour painting.” No, I had no idea what that was either.

Got the StingRay a couple months back, but was never crazy about the white on white look, but the online pick guard companies don’t sell replacements yet since this model only came out in Jan. I did some youtube research on painting and stumbled onto a couple of videos where people painted pick guards using this technique. You pour the paint onto your canvas (or in this case pick guard) and then slowly rotate it around so that the paint makes abstract designs. Then you add resin once the paint dries.

Here is the finished product. I know this is very subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think it turned out epic! Its a unique one of a kind artwork that gives the StingRay a bit more attitude.

26 Likes

That looks great!

3 Likes

Nice job! That does look great. It’s cool that you were able to personalize it like that.

3 Likes

Looks like factory grade to me. Well done. I tried to wet sand a scratch out of an acoustic guitar once and just made it much worse, so I’m terrified in of stuff like this. At least it wouldn’t have been the end of the world if you had trashed it. Looks awesome though!

3 Likes

That looks great!
Maybe a side business customizing for others? :thinking:

4 Likes

wow ! looks gorgeous over the white body, I’m impressed ! :sunglasses: :+1:

3 Likes

Indeed it is really nice and unique!!!

I just bought a black one for $10 :joy::joy:
Yours is way better!!

3 Likes

Very nice job! . . . :+1:

3 Likes

That looks professional! It would be a cool addition to your bass if you bought it off the shelf, but that much cooler that you custom made it yourself. Great job.

4 Likes

Oh My

2 Likes

Perfect color scheme!! They should really license that from you!!

Dog in the background seems a little indifferent though :grin:

5 Likes

[quote=“lee_editorial, post:1, topic:7889”]
pour paintin

That is very impressive!

4 Likes

A great idea…and
A great result !!!

4 Likes

Agreed, @18Mike . . . welcome to the Forums . . . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks !
Such a great place to hang for all things BASS !

2 Likes

Oops!

1 Like

That is so impressive. I can see a market there for you. If not you have a beautiful unique bass thats art.

3 Likes

That looks fantastic, Was this your first attempt at using this technique? While your dog doesn’t look that impressed (3rd photo :grinning:) it makes me want to give this a try on a couple pick guards. Could only hope they would come out as good looking as yours

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for the kind words and feedback, I appreciate it!

@461
Thanks, yes Chloe was not too excited about the final result!

This was my first experience with painting. I did do a couple of tests first using cardboard cutouts just to see how everything might work out.

Here is the video I found. This guy also does another video where talks more about getting the paint ready. (And there are tons of o ther videos with people pour painting canvas so you can get an idea of what is possible) I’m convinced its part skill and part luck. It was helpful for me to do the test runs first, but I think the hardest part might be deciding when to stop! You can keep adding a little more here and there- but at some point you have to stop and be satisfied… otherwise you might reach a point where you like what you had 5 minutes ago better!

Pickguard Pour - YouTube

6 Likes

Looks awesome!!
I love acrylic pour and I admire you were so brave to try it on your bass!

2 Likes