Short Love

Love them. They were such a clear winner when I was pickup shopping (I went with the Model P).

4 Likes

Relentless is simply awesome, though I’m surprised for a pickup that’s designed to be positioned right next to strings they are hot and powerful.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say they’re “hot” at all. But (and I apologize if I have this wrong) because they indeed DO have a really comfortable curved body that naturally allows them to be close to the strings, I think that is what makes them able to sound so clear/strong.
Folks that know more about the science can weigh in, but I was always under the impression that the closer the pickups are to the strings, the more powerful the output and vice versa.

3 Likes

Part of it is that they are ceramic; ceramic magnets are generally stronger than alnico, and they are generally hotter/louder.

Ceramics are also more naturally compressed sounding than alnico, which brings up the body of the tone a lot.

I really like ceramic pickups myself.

2 Likes

Passive Relentless are about as hot as the active pickup. Great tone.

2 Likes

Quick crosspost from another thread Project Basses - #2479 by paolo.pfm
Could you measure the position of the pick-ups on a short or medium scale with P or PJ configuration you own? It’s not urgent, but it would be really helpful.
For example: model, scale length, and distance from the bridge (or the nut, as more convenient) to the center of the J or between the split coil.
It doesn’t need to be extremely accurate, at least to be in the right ballpark…

Or is there any meaningful online resource I missed?

6 Likes

Ok it’s a few weeks away from finish, finally. I bet you they put mine on hold while they built the Nate Navarro SubBass, lol. Well, I don’t mind.

This is the Short Scale MultiScale Lignum bass my second. It will have the Delano Xtender Quad coil.
Purple burst with some Cosmic Inlays
Neck through Asymmetrical neck
Compound radius fingerboard 7.25*-25*
3x1 tuners

Oh! It also Glow-In-the-Dark, lol.

13 Likes

Love it. Shape is fantastic, great colors too.

2 Likes

Wowsa!

That’s cool!

2 Likes

Thanks @John_E and @howard after seeing Nate’s SubBass I want one too, lol. That said, I have no skills to pull that one off. :joy:

This one has a long list of parameters.
The compound fingerboard is actually 7.25*-25* this would be such an awesome fingerboard.

3 Likes

wowwowwow :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I’m trying to get a Glow in the Dark Yellow tracksuit like the one Bruce Lee wear but they not only don’t make one in my size but also a no on the glow in the dark too, lol.

3 Likes

welp, now im getting you a custom made tracksuit and a mononeon signature fender for your birthday :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Oh yeah! Like the Joe Dart Onesie. That would work for me. I’d look like the fluffy guy in Monsters inc, lol.

4 Likes

ooooooh looky :star_struck:

3 Likes

String spacing is only 17mm on the Acinonyx. Too narrow for me. 1.4" nut is small too. if I were a smaller person perhaps

4 Likes

and its not even that short of short scale. the original one generated a ton of buzz when it came out, people really liked that cat bass.

3 Likes

Love the cats, can’t do 17mm though.

2 Likes

Ouch! It’s playing a banjo, lol.

1 Like