Short Love

Conceptually it could work, but the strings really aren’t spaced properly for the bridge pickup, I think the P is the one added and it wasn’t lined up correctly. A Nordstrand Blade pickup might work for this setup in the P position

4 Likes

Yeah the string alignment over the P is all wonky. I don’t have high hopes for this one.

2 Likes

I’d go with big pole pickup similar to MusicMan’s own pickups. Large poles magnet has a lot of advantages one thing the attack is immediate and powerful. I made this for a while now but the pickguard is coming. I love this bass. It’s quite fun. Almost as fun as the Caprice but for much less.

4 Likes

I think it would work better on a 34” like a Ray 4 or Ray 24, however, for string spacing, it may be best on a Ray 34 that has the wider 1.69” nut width.

I dont know if I would do it to a real E MM Stimgray, UNLESS, I found a junker with dead electronics, and was available for like $500 or so.

1 Like

OK so is it me or does the neck pickup look slightly out of square?

3 Likes

Pickup is fine, rest of bass is out of square :rofl:

3 Likes

They are reversed P pick ups on top of everything else, so, yeah, looks a little Finky and crowded on the SS Ray.

I like what Al is doing with Ray4’s mich better, but would love to see one hybric, cutlass (P ick up) amd RAy (MM pick up on a full sized Ray4.

Not certain if it would be amazing or a dud, but would love to see it tried.

3 Likes

Color it up a bit

7 Likes

I have that exact Daphne Blue SS Stingray downstairs!

5 Likes

That’s such a great color.

3 Likes

me too

2 Likes

What do you think?

Regular 34” multi scale or
Short scale 32-29 multi scale super P bass

The pickup would angle a bit and down toward the middle position and the finger ramp will be more straight glow in the dark celestial glow in the dark inlays and purple burst body ebony fingerboard.

3 Likes

One of each of course…

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Why build one when I can have two twice the money.

2 Likes

Well you know my vote :rofl:

Seriously excited about seeing this one, looks really nice.

2 Likes

I don’t own this Höfner bass, but just came across the “Gold Label” (aka small run) Paisley version of their Club Bass model at the Höfner website.
Hofner_Club_Bass_Paisley_Gold_Label

Certainly a unique short string model!
Also, one is offered at Reverb, for anyone who may be interested.

6 Likes

I love the Hofner Club, but paisley is not for me (nor is paying $2,975 for a bass).
I recently purchased a red Hofner Club and it’s on its way to me. I will then have two Hofners: the violin one (Ala Paul McCartney and the Beatles) and the Hofner Club. They both sound great!

3 Likes

Paisley is not for everyone, to be sure. But for my taste, this is not too garish or gaudy, and looks nice in the subdued colors. Of course, I can’t afford it, and it doesn’t come in a left handed version in paisley (only in sunburst, I believe), so it’s all moot! :wink:

Enjoy your new red Club when it arrives! Does it come with flats, or if not, will you swap for flats?

2 Likes

Hofners always come with Hofner brand flats from the factory. I’ve sent a message to the seller inquiring as to whether or not the original strings are still on it. I will most likely replace them with the flats LaBella makes for the Hofner.

2 Likes

It’s probably not for me - but if you want paisley - just use a skin / vinyl wrap?

36 different paisley’s available here.

Get yourself a Hofner Ignition Pro Club for $400 - add a $60 skin and some elbow grease and my math says you save $2500. Then you can afford to buy a second skin if you want to go full on gaudy British Invasion! (Just a tad ironic on a German bass).

3 Likes