Short scale bass review

New

3 Likes
1 Like

A week or so before it happened, I had anticipated a NYC lockdown. It was not just me, we all did but what better way to prepare for a global pandemic than to buy a new bass? I went to GC and left with a Gibson Les Paul jr. DC. It’s a shortie. Now, the quality control at Gibson must be pretty awful because those overhanging frets would have cut my hands to ribbons if I hadn’t filed them down. It took forever too! But that tone! Oooh my! So warm and thumpy! I put on some flat wounds and now its a joy to play. I could just play and open E all day and be happy! Thanks, Gibson. I will forgive your considerable flaws. Just keep making those great sounds!

2 Likes
2 Likes

Looking out for a short scale i found this one (chowny SWN-1) and it looks very good and affordable to me.

Any experiences with this one?

1 Like

I have only heard good things about this bass!

Chowny is a small brand and they occasionally run into some “supply chain” issues, but if you buy from, e.g., Andertons or BassDirect in the UK, there shouldn’t be any problems (in case you want to change/cancel your order etc.).

4 Likes

thanx joerg (or jörg? sounds very german to me :wink: )
i think i´ll give it a try.

3 Likes

Stimmt, ein Piefke (aus dem Süden)! Aber schon seit 22 Jahren in DK :smile:

3 Likes

Und ich ein Piefke aus dem Norden und seit 10 Jahren in Österreich :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

Is anybody playin this one?

Just ordered one to check it out and i like the colour so much in combination with the pickguard . . .

Sorry, it´s a Squier CV 60s Mustang Bass SG

6 Likes

Es tut mir leid. Meine Deutsches vokabeln ist zu kleine :slight_smile:

edit: sorry I thought you meant the German, before you edited :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@howard my fault, i took the wrong key shortcut and your German fits you well :wink:

3 Likes

Sorry, no shorty here…

So, you didn’t order the Chowny then?!?

3 Likes

no, i wrote an email and and asked for a plain white instead of the transparent white but they didn´t respond till now. But that wont keep me from ordering one maybe later or in case the mustang doesn´t match at all. First of all i want to check out the short scale in particular and i want a second bass for excercising when i´m not at home :wink: so welcome to the mustang :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have played around with a Fender Mustang before and it was fun, felt great. The only negative thing I have heard about the Squier shorts was about the Bronco and its use of a guitar pup.

4 Likes

Ah, don’t write emails to Chowny - you’ll wait until doomsday… Go on talkbass.com and DM Stephen Chown there!

6 Likes

good to know, thanx la lot Jörg, i´ll give it a try :+1:

5 Likes

thanx @howard :slight_smile:
How did you experienced the string height? Could you get a closer look at the bridge and its possibilities?

5 Likes

No, I just played with one a store had, didn’t dive super deep.

5 Likes