Short scale bass review

I was looking at their site, they have some cool basses. they don’t seem that expensive either.
I like the one that looks like the ESP B-4E with the wood grain and neck thru build.
I also really liked the Davie 504 bass, it is kind of a stingray with some little twists, it is really cool looking and I like their hiedstocks too.

for the inexpensive price (with Agiular pick ups on some of them) I can see owning one someday… Way down the line when I have all the stuff i want, and am looking for something new to play with, but yeah, that site it very cool.

4 Likes

The NT-4 bass, that is way cool
Are they ALL short scale basses?
The Rick inspired ones are cool too.

If they are all SS, that NT-5 might be a cool and fun 5 string to get.

2 Likes

It is an “intermediate scale” bass :grinning:

Problem is they had a snafu with the wood supplier and are waaaaaay behind on being able to deliver these beauties. A shame really!

4 Likes

I love medium scale basses. Super fun.

34" - full scale
32" - medium scale
30" - short scale
28.5" - Ibanez Mikro :slight_smile:

I had a lot of fun noodling on a Yamaha MB40.

4 Likes

Yeah, sucks if you are ready to get one.
But since I am not, its OK.

If I were going to get one right now, I might just pick that green Davie 504 they have in stock
only 480 euro.
Red Cedar body. I don’t know I have heard of cedar for bass body before, is this popular. sounds cool

4 Likes

Yes, and since you have a B4-E, you don’t really need the NT-4. But, I realize, it is not always about what one “needs”…

I had been waiting for 7 months before I gave up…

4 Likes

You ended up happy though :slight_smile:

How is the Mayones? Still awesome I am sure?

4 Likes

True :smile:

I think I am appreciating it more and more! Somewhat sadly, it has pushed the TRB to second place…
The guys in the band think the Mayones sounds much better - what can I say!?!

4 Likes

Yeah, i would not buy one of those for that reason, but I thought if the NT5 was short scale, it could be fun to get a 5 string like it.

The basses that I would consider would be the RetroVibe Davie 504 or Retrovibe Vantage (rick copy)

But, the NT-5 is a between regular and medium at 32.7, so not so much a SS, IDK how much different that would feel to a 34". i know it would be a little, but not like getting a 30"

The RetroVibe’s both are 34" standard scale.
With that being the case, I would get the Vantage (rick copy) cuz I already have 34" stingray’s

3 Likes

Hm, personally, I’d be cautious about short 5’ers - the B string really benefits from more length!

That said, they do exist, which means somebody thought hard about that problem and is convinced they have it figured out :grin:

4 Likes

Yeah, they even have MIKRO 5 string
I am not ready to get a SS 5 string, I was just saying it could be fun

3 Likes

I am seriously curious about how the 28.5" scale B string feels. I am betting it is roughly:

6 Likes

:rofl:

4 Likes

@itsratso just got a 5 string Mikro I think. Somebody did.

2 Likes

It’s mostly a fretless!

2 Likes

Yeah, I like that table leg that they used as the neck :joy:

3 Likes

ooh i’ve been neglecting my fave thread! yes i did get a mikro 5. i had a store credit with musician’s friend and didn’t know what to use it on, so i said why not? i always wanted to try a 5 string. the problem in regards to your question, is i have never played any other 5 string so don’t really have much to base an opinion on. it is definitely looser than the other strings, but i personally wouldn’t go so far as to call it floppy. and it sounds really good as does the mikro, better than you would expect with the cheapo hardware. it’s funny you guys would bring it up because i have decided to flip it. i wanted to try it and i did, but i don’t think 5 strings are for me. i know the theory of ignoring the top string, but in practice… i’m not ignoring the top string. it just confuses me. could i get used to it, probably, but i’m just not that drawn into it. the problem is as we discussed in another thread, is shipping it. i could probably sell it for $150 easy, but shipping could be 1/3 of that. so what i plan to do is take it to guitar center and see if they would give me anywhere close to $100 trade in on it, and get one of the orange 4 string ones.

4 Likes

i’m sorry, but that’s no way to run a business. creative people are just the same as regular people in that a lot of them really don’t have any business sense. but they say, i want to make guitars for a living, fine. but then let somebody else run it and you just be the craftsman. not answering emails, being way behind on orders… nope. not for me. the industry is full of these guys, (not that chowney scams) i see a million threads on forums about ordering a guitar from some custom guy and never getting it years later. i understand that they have a really quality product, shame really.

4 Likes

Yes, it is almost the classic conundrum - gifted craftsman, poor businessman!

I think this is why they only want to sell through a few well-established outlets going forward (also to avoid any smell of scams like you described), but they still haven’t adjusted their homepage yet… seems you can still order directly from them…

5 Likes

Didn’t you just get it recently?
Can’t you just return it to Musicians Friend, it MUST be within the return policy that is extended for COVID.
Is it not?

2 Likes