Show us your amps

@eric.kiser that’s awesome. I’ve been jonesing for that Rumble 800 head myself. That will be my next upgrade from the Rumble 100.

I’m curious about how that works though… do you just plug it into any speaker, or does it have to be a special speaker for that purpose? I’m also wondering, could I plug it into my Rumble 100 and use that as a speaker?

(I have just exposed myself as a total noob when it comes to the amp head / cabinet stuff.)

4 Likes

No, you can’t plug it into your Rumble 100, @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile:

Best to get a matched speaker cabinet such as the Rumble 410 (4 x 10" speakers)

The 800 sounds like a great upgrade idea! :+1:

(I’ve secretly been suffering with GAS these past few weeks myself :wink: )

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Thanks Joe @Jazzbass19!

2 Likes

… eight hundred fornicating watts. What are you planning – causing earthquakes?

Also, if you would use your Rumble 100 speaker units as a cabinet, I hope you like the smell of meltdowns. I don’t know what’s in the Rumble 100, speaker-wise, but you’re planning to feed it 8 times the energy it’s expecting…

3 Likes

@peterhuppertz I guess you forgot to read this part of my comment

-----> (I have just exposed myself as a total noob when it comes to the amp head / cabinet stuff.)

3 Likes

Not quite as simple as that, @peterhuppertz and @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile:

A Rumble 100 is a “combo” amp, meaning the head is built-in and connected to a speaker, in this case a 1 x 12".

The Rumble 800 is a separate amp “head” and needs to be matched with an appropriately sized speaker cabinet, of which there are several. It gets really involved. Really quickly.

Here’s an old thread about this: 4/8 Ohm Impedance Explanation

Cheers, Joe

5 Likes

@Jazzbass19 Yeah, I knew the part about one being a combo as opposed to separate head and speaker. I’m just not sure about the speaker part.

@peterhuppertz are you saying that 800 watts is overkill?

3 Likes

Yeah… trust me, I know. :wink:

Does the Pope pee in the woods? :wink:

Let’s just say that, if you crank that thing up to six in a living room, I hope I’m not in the same suburb.

3 Likes

So this is probably the right thread to get this off my chest, because I’m all giddy…
The seller has just confirmed my payment and will send me my Rumble 100 tomorrow.

I could also post a picture once it’s here, but it’s not like you haven’t seen a rumble.

8 Likes

Congrats @juli0r

You’re gonna love that amp!

4 Likes

:rofl:
I want to hear some stories from @eric.kiser when he gets a cab for that thing, and starts to crank it up - that is a ton of juice!

I am too, but learning more lately. I think one of the reasons I like the Rumble 100,200,500s are that they are just plug-n-play, but still such good quality in so many general areas. That said, a specific head / cab combo based on your tastes is probably the eventual way to go. (Once you can wrap your mind around some of the technical / audio aspects of this stuff! Feeling like that’s a ways off for me right now though.)

Maybe it’s time to start a Multiple Amp Disorder thread soon, lol!

3 Likes

Not with your cat sleeping on it! :blush:

1 Like

“Overkill” in amplifiers is more affectionately known as “headroom” and it’s fine to have. The Fender 800 is a pretty cool design because it allows any combination of one or two cabinets attached to it.

You don’t have to worry about the whole 4/8 ohm topic. You will also still have plenty of power with an 8 Ohm cabinet where the Fender 800 drops to 400 Watts. There’s whole threads on the ohm/watt topics that I’m treading lightly not to restart.

Just saying that Watts left in the box are generally considered an advantage other than the $ of having them. With the Rumble 800 you can even skip the whole tech topic. It drives anything.

4 Likes

How about a dog?

4 Likes

it is.

3 Likes

A cat trumps a dog any time of day. :laughing:
Also, is that a real dog? The pink ribbon makes it look like it came from Toys 'R Us. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Okay, a cat then

2 Likes

Here was my thinking on the 800.

I like the Fender stuff and I wanted a separate head and cabinet for reasons of versatility and portability. You can take it apart and each piece would be easier to carry and you only have to bring what you need for any particular situation. Also, as your tastes change you can swap in different cabinets or heads without having to spend so much money replacing everything with different combo amps. That was the theory.

As to how powerful it is, @Gio described his 600 watt rig like this…

I get their is a huge difference between Fender and Mesa Boogie. I’m just using this to illustrate the power of even 600 watts.

I just wanted something that could easily work in a full band situation with enough wattage that I didn’t have to worry about it for a long time. What I wanted was the Rumble 800 head as a 500 watt amplifier. I looked at getting a used Rumble 500 head (they’re discontinued) but there is a known problem with the volume knob that Fender won’t fix and I didn’t want to deal with that. So that left me with the 800 as the only real option if I wanted to stay with getting a Fender head.

Originally what I wanted was a Rumble 500 but with a 15" speaker. The closest thing Fender has is the Rumble 200 but it’s too expensive for what it is and for the money it just doesn’t seem like a very good deal compared to buying a Rumble 500. But, if I wanted 15" speakers then I had to go separate head and cabinet.

I know all that is all over the place. Just consider it an example of the frustration that can happen when you think you know what you want but it isn’t made that way.

Then this post happened… How can I be heard through the mix ( a non scientific approach to sound) - #53 by Gorch

That’s when I decided, no matter how much I really like the Rumble 800 head, I had made it all way more complicated than it needs to be.

I returned the 800 today and ordered a Rumble 500 combo. If I need more, I’ll just pick up a second 2x10" cabinet.

With that in place I’m going back to focusing on my playing. In a couple of years I’ll revisit what else I might want in an amp.

8 Likes

@PamPurrs If I was in your situation, gear wise, and wanted to upgrade something, I would start looking into what could give you a tone you might like more than the Fender.

Ampeg and the Aguilar Tone Hammer both can add more warmth to your tone.

6 Likes

Here’s a big cheers to making things more complicated than they have to be!!

4 Likes