Show us your amps

“Finding your sound” is not something simple, that’s for sure… at least it’s not for me. I have come to accept that it is a journey and that there are many things to learn along that journey. But, it is also fun to discover how “sound” is coming about and what can influence and shape it…

Maybe start with this thread here (there are also others that you may find via the search function):

4 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I’m definitely enjoying the discovery part and so far I’m just starting with as neutral a setting as I can find and then just moving one dial up or down,while playing the same scale. Rinse and repeat.
That’s a good thread you’ve pasted in as I have a zoom b1/4 as well,but for now I’m keeping it in the box until I get to grips(ish) with the bass and amp eq.
I do worry that I won’t actually ever play anything and I’ll become that guy that plays two notes just to stop and flick switches,turns the mids up or down and just grumbles in the corner!:grin:

3 Likes

Modern Fender solid state amps are pretty neutral for tone. They are kind of warm and clean and add little other color on their own.

The B1four you have has some excellent amp sims on it that might be closer to the tone you are looking for.

5 Likes

I’m looking forward to exploring that little wonder too. The excitement just to play a little something every time I walk past the amp and bass is just like when I got my first acoustic guitar!

One “fun” thing I have discovered is that playing my old bass unplugged for quite some time has introduced yet another list of bad habits I didn’t even know I had. So yay, I get to learn! Speaking of which- module one awaits!

4 Likes

That is a perfect way to go about it. Eventually when you play you are going to want a little more or less of something and your brain will probably already know which knob to reach for.

4 Likes

There is this thread to help people get started…
How To Adjust Your Bass and Amp Sound

3 Likes

My Thunder!

15 Likes

Now thats impressive. Are those Portaflex fliptops or B15’s?

2 Likes

That is very nice, love those Mesa Cabs, can’t see the rack mounts too well enough to know everything you have there, but I am sure you have some power there.
NICE :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

New toy day, phil jones compact 4. 4x5", or equivalent to a 2x10. Really got fascinated by these, small and light. A lot of attack, punchy. Good bass extension but not thumpy. Probably would not work for you metal guys, not a really weighty heavy sound. Gonna get a matching one for the world’s cutest stack. I’m liking it.

8 Likes

It’s adorable :slight_smile:

I’ve never noticed your Ashdown. What a cool looking amp.

6 Likes

Very nice.
do they have any matching options, like 1 x 12 or 15 or something to use for more range?
I do like speakers 10" and under, I bet that does sound great, but in a mix situation, may need a little more bottom end.
Really cool tho, I love the color.

1 Like

The biggest speaker they make is 7".

https://pjbworld.com/cms/index.php/products-cabinets/

2 Likes

Eh, get a 2 x 7" then.

I like that array on the C9
9x5"
3 up and 3 across

1 Like

Got a couple new toys that you peeps may be interested in hearing about. First, completed my mini stack, got a second pjb compact 4. Looks great :+1:

Also, we were recently discussing frfr amps.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FRFR108--headrush-frfr-108-2000-watt-1x8-inch-powered-guitar-cabinet

I got the headrush 8" model.

It is definitely NOT a bass amp. Also the quietist 2000W amp (alleged) on earth. But it is a very good practice amp. It sounds full range, very hi-fi sound with little character. Which is not necessarily bad especially for practice, everything is very clean and precise, easy to hear. And you can run anything on earth through it and it has 2 inputs, so you could share it with your guitar player, vocals, keyboards or could run backing tracks from your iPhone. Both inputs have volume controls to easily blend them. 1/4 volume is right for practice in my living room which is surprising, but it is bass. I’m sure a guitar would scream through it, and there is enough power for practice, busking or probably coffeehouse gigs.

10 Likes

What did this do to the LF extension you thought was lacking with only 4?

1 Like

Yeah I thought it might come across that way, but that isn’t at all what I meant. The low end is very good with the pjb, it’s more just how it’s voiced I think. It’s a modern sounding cab, tight and punchy. It’s not voiced like a thundery/thumpy old school rock or metal cab. So if that’s what one wants I don’t think it would work for them. It’s rated down to 35 Hz, and I believe that. It moves a good amount of air. I guess the best way to explain it is it pretty much it’s the same sound as using a 4 x 10, which is obviously a cab that is widely used on its own. If you were the type that would want to have a 4 x 10 mated to some kind of 15"ers than this isn’t it.

2 Likes

Very nice setup @itsratso,
Love the pedal board and the bongo👍
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Nice setup @itsratso I’m a fan of Phil Jones gear too. I got a C2 stack at home :slight_smile: and I also had the cab-27 piranha cab with the 7" drivers. These sounded a little bit warmer but I still prefer the compact series. Even the C2 has quite some low-end but I think the amp will define your tone the most. My rumble head makes it sounds more like a Fender cab while my PJ head makes it sound very clean and tight. I’m gonna test a GK head soon!

How did you hooked up that Ashdown? I’m kinda guessing parallel since you have 2 outputs on that Ashdown RM 500 EVO head. If I remember correctly the C4 is 400W @ 8ohm. So running a 500W amp will power them with 250W each @ 4ohms. From what I understand it will sound a bit better with a parallel connection, especially if you crank it up. Ideally you prob want a 800W head with those cabs?

I always get a little bit confused about this because if you connect parallel you have a total impedance of 4ohms while in series it will have 16ohms which is a lot more resistance and will most likely end up in lower volume. But I don’t fully understand why the resistance turns to 4ohms if you connect parallel to 8ohms speakers… Sorry for going a bit off-topic here :slight_smile:

1 Like

The series or parallel connection thing has been very confusing to me until well… Now. The reason why it’s so confusing is because so many sources online are confusing/just plain wrong. My manual for the pjb clearly states you can daisy chain the cabinets together IN PARALLEL giving you full power to the cabs. Yet a quick Google search states that daisy chaining gives you a serial connection which greatly robs you of power. So what gives? Well a few minutes ago I found this thread, which explains it:

TL/DR: it is very rare to find any cabs wired with a serial connector any more, they’re almost all parallel. So connect them however you want (after consulting your manual). Every time you add a cab you decrease the ohms. 1 8 ohm cab is 8 ohms. Add another and they are 4 ohms. Add another and you’re at 2.7 ohms, you can use an online ohms cabinet calculator. Most amps only safely go down to 4 ohms, a few do 2. Don’t start a fire onstage. I simply went output one to cab one, output two to cab two because pjb says it sounds a bit better but in the real world with 2 foot cables it probably doesn’t matter. BTW @DaveT here told me all the same things in a thread once.

4 Likes