Show us your amps

That’s a great rig!

2 Likes

I have a fender rumble 15 it’s pretty satifying and I like the sounds it makes :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nice! I need to try one of those, I discounted them for the beginner amp reviews we did because of the 8" speaker, but I have heard a few students like them. I definitely dig the Rumble 40.

3 Likes

I’ll have to take some decent photos, but I just invested in a nice little rig (in my opinion anyway…). Started with the Ampeg BA 210v2, then I grabbed a Furman power conditioner to keep the amp protected and the signal clean, and today I just pulled the trigger on the Tech21 GED-2112 Pre-amp/DI. I’ve been obsessed with Geddy Lee’s tone for ages, and this box seemed like the ticket to let me play with my sound to my heart’s content!

4 Likes

Sounds cool! I love Furman gear, I keep their power strip with me at all times these days. Now just pluck super super super hard with your right hand and you’ll sound like Geddy in no time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried and have spent an inordinate amount of time on Rush licks, sound, style et al. Same with Queen. Only Geddy sounds like Geddy, but the practice was worth it just to see the looks on peoples faces at soundcheck!

3 Likes

Here is a pic of the amp rig, and one that includes my bass…

6 Likes

Hey Man that’s really great setup! Can you tell me more about it?

1 Like

The Amp combo is an Ampeg Ba-210v2. The ‘blue box’ is the Tech-21 GED-2112 Geddy Lee Preamp. Above that is a Furman power conditioner just to protect everything and keep the power clean. It’s all in a Gator case. Underneath the pre is just a 2U drawer to hold stuff. The Bass is a 5-string Alvarez that I bought used from a guy at church…

4 Likes

Excellent set up!

1 Like

That’s really great! I’m learning a lot from everyone here, thank you!

1 Like

That’s awesome! I had a red Alvarez 5-string for a couple years when I started playing, it was my second bass ever!

Nice Furman rig. So cool. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I still haven’t had a chance to try the Tech21 Geddy Lee preamp. Whats it doing for you, do you like it? Could you sum it up for me/us? Please?

1 Like

I love it so far. It really gives me a lot of ability to shape my sound and tone to suit whatever I want to play. I haven’t really started to play with pedals yet, but I find that it gives me a lot of flexibility to match whatever genre I’m working in, without changing instruments. I have some tonal flexibility in my Ampeg, but it’s nothing compared to the GED-2112, and I haven’t even really touched 20% of its’ overall capability yet.

4 Likes

Thats the setup I made to make my Framus Star Bass from 1967 sound as it should.
A very warm tone comes out of that Italian Steelphon AMP from 1965. Sometimes It crackles a little bit, but with that age it is not bothering me.
The blackhole Speaker is handmade by a friend of mine here in Switzerland. I just love it. I got it this week :slight_smile:

8 Likes

That looks killer!! Love the vintage vibes…

1 Like

Uploading…

I use a Darkglass Microtube 500 with a Darkglass DG10c cabinet. The amp is so light and small, I actually have it installed on my pedalboard.

7 Likes

My little bringing of the boom:

Fender Rumble 25. Perfect size for my practice area, I haven’t even had it above 50% or so yet.

Josh, if you ever update your gear vid for beginner amps, you should totally review this one and the Orange Crush 25B. They both only have 8" speakers but in my opinion both have great tone. I think they would compete well with other amps on the list.

The Orange actually sounds a little nicer to me but its price is too close to the Rumble 40 to make sense; the Rumble 40 outclasses both of these. And that kind of thinking is starting a really slippery slope, lol. I almost fell down it :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I should try a Rumble 25 sometime, I wrote it off automatically for those reviews, but maybe they’ve broken the mold.

The thing is, having a bigger speaker isn’t about the “tone” exactly, it’s about getting enough air moving in the room to feel the bass, not just hear it. I haven’t heard a single 8" speaker do that ever.

4 Likes

Orange Crush 50x 1x12. This thing rips for 50w.

7 Likes