Show us your amps

I’m not being serious Laurent :wink:

4 Likes

I have built one. Two actually, 12" woofer cabs :rofl:

I wish we had @DaveT around at the time though. We just copied other woofer cabs with similar speakers. They worked well but were definitely not at their peak performance. At the time we were young and dumb and it didn’t matter though.

This is interesting because I had always thought a speaker’s resonance was the natural resonance for the entire assembly (i.e. the frequency at which the speaker assembly would be vibrating as well as the cone). That would lead to transferring the vibration to the enclosure and also result in less power being delivered through the cone as it would be going in to the cab wood. At which point the cab would “sing”, which can be ok or can be very very bad. Am I mistaken?

1 Like

A loudspeaker driver’s resonance is its lower operating limit. Trying to drive a speaker below resonance will mostly result in heat production rather than motion. It can be helpful to think of a loudspeaker driver as a motor, which it is, in a linear direction rather than a rotary direction.

That motor is suspended by the enclosure, so it’s always trying to impart its oscillation to the enclosure at every frequency it operates. Its success at doing so will depend on the enclosure design. The mass and stiffness of the enclosure material will determine if the cabinet has resonances from surfaces vibrating. The interior dimensions and shape will determine if the cabinet has acoustic resonances.

5 Likes

Very interesting. I had been misunderstanding this and conflating with cabinet resonances, thanks for the correction.

3 Likes

Their next article explains the interaction between the resonant frequency of the driver and the compliance of the air in the enclosure. That bump gets smoothed out because the air compression inside the cabinet acts like a capacitor.

4 Likes

That’s funny. I think the same thing every time I see one of your wood projects!

7 Likes

Glad it’s not just me

5 Likes

Dude. I love reading when you do a deep dive like this.

6 Likes

dave t has forgotten more than i have ever known.

6 Likes

He is definitely the man to go to for sound engineering questions!

4 Likes

Well, thank you both. I love the work and I’m happy to share anything I’ve learned for as long as anyone is interested.

@howard lives not terribly far from the largest sound system I ever worked on. That volcano has more audio gear hidden behind those rocks than most rock concert sound systems.

I also spent time under the sea on that trip.

9 Likes

Just ordered this for late May delivery.

Spark Go

8 Likes

Oh wow! Is that FujiQ Highland?

2 Likes

Tokyo Disney Sea

5 Likes

oh that’s cute

5 Likes

Ooh even closer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice! I actually would prefer this over the Mini :smiley:

That is so cool!

3 Likes

The mini is really useful and plenty of volume the UI is top notch. Start practicing the guitar this should be pretty great.

2 Likes

Hey @DaveT it’s been cool to catch up on this conversation and I admit there has been many whoooosh moments where I could not keep up. Do you have knowledge in working on vintage Fender amps? I became the owner of a '76 Twin Reverb (Silverface MV 100W model) a few months back and have been trying to get it back in good shape with varying degrees of success.

3 Likes

If not Dave then @terb. He has done a lot of with amps.

5 Likes