Show us your amps

Even better. My only issue is that the PA in most Venues are, well how do I put this delicately, sucks. :joy:.

5 Likes

not to mention, I don’t know where you all hang, but the bars by me that have live music don’t have a front of house. or a PA. or air conditioning :grin: it’s 4 walls and a few barstools.

5 Likes

I’ve solved this problem by no longer wanting to play live :rofl:

5 Likes

I just disassembled the graphic EQ board on my SVT. the faders definitly need to be replaced … and it’s not so easy to find the perfect replacement parts.

7 Likes

Similar boat here. I know the software sims and such are amazing but I spend 8+ hours a day in front of my computer for my job. I’d much rather have a nice amp to play on so that I can play without having to spend even more time in front of my computer.

For me, personally, it’s the #1 deal killer for amp plugins.

5 Likes

I’m completely the opposite there actually, I vastly prefer software :slight_smile:

But at that particular time, I just wanted to play with tubes. No regrets, it was fun and they sounded great; but for me, amp sims are where it’s at.

1 Like

maybe we should start a thread about the IR rabbit hole : I tried a few free ones yesterday and I found some great ones.

5 Likes

The quality of the IR can make a huge difference. I find many SVT cab sims (both 4x10 and 8x10) to be poor quality - dull and muffled sounding, for example, which defeats the purpose of using a cab with 10” speakers to begin with.

2 Likes

I’ve been on the fence for this late 70s Ampeg - Local Sam Ash is closing down and the price has been discounted a few times but not quite enough. Might drop in tomorrow and try to beat them up on the price some more…

Yes, I know it’s the guitar version and not the V4B. It doesn’t seem to get as growly like a SVT unless I’m not dialing it in right. Also, the weight is quite substantial for a head so those factors have been holding me back. Not only that, the Ampeg SGT-DI (or Origin BASSRIG) could probably do the job for less money and a much smaller footprint.

Sounds great going clean into a 15 inch speaker, that’s for sure. A single 12 inch speaker was quite admirable as well. I have not yet tried a 410 cab. I currently have a Ampeg Classic series 15 inch cab at home that I use with a Darkglass head. I like that sound but something about tubes keep calling to me…

(I guess this might actually belong in the GAS thread… :laughing: )

5 Likes

I admire your tenacity to dig that board out and do some replacements! Good luck!

2 Likes

Yeah, but don’t forget that the actual 8x10 is really dark. The 4x10 HLF is much more bright and linear, and I found an IR of the HLF that actually sounds very close to my Yamaha cab, which is also a ported 4x10 with tweeter (even if I set it to zero).

4 Likes

Oh cool! I’ll try with a HLF next time I want to use a SVT sim.

3 Likes

What IR loader do you use ? I’m using FenrIR right now, it’s fine but limited with 1 sec IR’s. I’d like something lightweight, low latency and with the ability to mix two IR’s if possible. Also a few filters would be a nice add.

The HLF IR I’m using is from the Seacow Teaser Pack. It’s free but I don’t know if it’s still easy to find. Feel free to ask if wanted/needed.

2 Likes

NadIR previously, but not recently as I have mostly been using canned cab sims. I might have to reinstall it.

I will likely try first Kilohearts Convolver now though. Not exactly the same but could lead to sweet results, basically like the cab/mic plus a little reverb. And would mean I could use it internally in synth patches too :slight_smile:

If this works I would also get 5-band multiband IR and the ability to load as many IR as I want for free too, as this would work in MultiPass and/or SnapHeap.

Plus, I already own this, so it’s a no-brainer for me.

3 Likes

yeah that’s interesting !

1 Like

Once you get used to working with MultiPass, there’s strong incentive to try and use Kilohearts snapins for as much as possible :slight_smile:

@itsratso FYI, you have all this too as part of your subscription :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pulse from Lancaster Audio looks pretty cool for a simple and free loader. I’ll try it tomorrow.

I really like the idea of blending two IR’s, like a modern 4x10 (Darkglass, EBS …) and a good’ol Ampeg vintage fridge.

3 Likes

LOL, I was thinking “I wonder if Cameron has done a video on this”, and sure enough, he has, and it’s a prime reason why anyone interested in sound shaping should watch him:

1 Like

Yeah :100: ! Lots of fun to be had playing around with stuff like this.

2 Likes

Do you feel this way about the amplitube ones? I guess it might depend which amp and cab since there are multiple.

Sort of related, anyone know about the HX native ones? Yamaha owns ampeg and line 6 so you’d think they would make sure they get them right.

2 Likes