Show us your amps

Better amp-less then bass-less… I figured it was just a matter time before you sold it. From past posts you were not too pleased with it anyway… Do you plan to stay maples and just play through your computer or will you eventually purchase another amp?

I still use my BA115 and BA108 quite a bit here - but then again, I live in the middle of nowhere and the only noise I have to deal with is the occasional “Turn that damn thing down!!” comment when my wife’s somewhere in the vicinity…

7 Likes

I live in the country too and I’m moving to the really deep french country, so the noise level is not a problem at all. the problem I had with this Ampeg was that it was really too heavy, and I’m not a big fan of the 1x15" configuration. well I don’t really have anything against 15" speakers and I even kinda like them, but it’s not the best choice for what I play. The next one will have 10", very probably.

So, yeah, about the purchase of another amp, I can answer “yes” and “no” at the same time, @Lanny :grin:

NO I don’t need to get another amp right now. first because I’m moving and it’s one less thing to carry, but the real answer is that for what I do at the moment, which is only pure studio things, I don’t need an amp at all. so, I can live without an amp for now. my preamps (and especially the Bass POD Pro) plugged into the computer which outputs on the KRK VXT8 monitors acts like a house amp and sounds great.

YES of course I will purchase another amp !!! mostly because I’m an real amp fan, but also because I will sooner or later play in a band again. but there is no urgency, and that’s a good thing : I plan to try what I find and take the time to define what I really want. for now I’d like to try the Fender Rumble 500 and the current Gallien Krueger line.

5 Likes

Yes . . . a little off-topic . . . but how is your move going, @terb ? I think you said you also have a new job, too? I guess the whole thing has been complicated with the Covid-19 lockdown.

Hope all is going well for you. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

thank you Joe , sure it’s a bit complicated. the covid-thing made everything more complicated, and I’m very very bad for organizing this kind of thing. complicated and stressful, but it will be fine !

I move in 10 days and my new jobs begins in about one month so I will have some time to explore the country, because it’s a region I absolutly don’t know. I will be at about 15 km of the Morvan national park.

the photos of the region looks promising, what do you think ?

… looks like some kind of french Ireland …

or maybe some kind of french Jurassic Park

:v::grin:

11 Likes

Beautiful and spectacular scenery, @terb! . . . :open_mouth:

Thanks for the pics and good luck in your move! :+1:

Yes indeed . . . me too! :wink:

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

… interestingly enough, the guy who bought my Ampeg today happen to be a luthier. obviously Greenie was plugged to the amp so he tried the amp with this bass, and he had way more time looking and talking about Greenie than about the Ampeg :joy:

he said this PB was really excellent and that for 1500€ (roughly the price of a basic MIA Fender like Greenie) you can’t expect more than what you have with a Fender. also he said that the setup was impressive, I felt flattered as I’ve done it. funny to have a luthier inspect my main instrument :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Congrats on going amp-free :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Beautiful French countryside there! I know you like the outdoors, like me, so, looks like a great place to call home and explore for you.

As you know way more about amps than a lot of us, if the Rumble 500 is on your list to try, and, always has everyone saying good things about it, I know I made a good choice when I got mine!

4 Likes

@eric.kiser that’s awesome. I’ve been jonesing for that Rumble 800 head myself. That will be my next upgrade from the Rumble 100.

I’m curious about how that works though… do you just plug it into any speaker, or does it have to be a special speaker for that purpose? I’m also wondering, could I plug it into my Rumble 100 and use that as a speaker?

(I have just exposed myself as a total noob when it comes to the amp head / cabinet stuff.)

4 Likes

No, you can’t plug it into your Rumble 100, @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile:

Best to get a matched speaker cabinet such as the Rumble 410 (4 x 10" speakers)

The 800 sounds like a great upgrade idea! :+1:

(I’ve secretly been suffering with GAS these past few weeks myself :wink: )

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Thanks Joe @Jazzbass19!

2 Likes

… eight hundred fornicating watts. What are you planning – causing earthquakes?

Also, if you would use your Rumble 100 speaker units as a cabinet, I hope you like the smell of meltdowns. I don’t know what’s in the Rumble 100, speaker-wise, but you’re planning to feed it 8 times the energy it’s expecting…

3 Likes

@peterhuppertz I guess you forgot to read this part of my comment

-----> (I have just exposed myself as a total noob when it comes to the amp head / cabinet stuff.)

3 Likes

Not quite as simple as that, @peterhuppertz and @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile:

A Rumble 100 is a “combo” amp, meaning the head is built-in and connected to a speaker, in this case a 1 x 12".

The Rumble 800 is a separate amp “head” and needs to be matched with an appropriately sized speaker cabinet, of which there are several. It gets really involved. Really quickly.

Here’s an old thread about this: 4/8 Ohm Impedance Explanation

Cheers, Joe

5 Likes

@Jazzbass19 Yeah, I knew the part about one being a combo as opposed to separate head and speaker. I’m just not sure about the speaker part.

@peterhuppertz are you saying that 800 watts is overkill?

3 Likes

Yeah… trust me, I know. :wink:

Does the Pope pee in the woods? :wink:

Let’s just say that, if you crank that thing up to six in a living room, I hope I’m not in the same suburb.

3 Likes

So this is probably the right thread to get this off my chest, because I’m all giddy…
The seller has just confirmed my payment and will send me my Rumble 100 tomorrow.

I could also post a picture once it’s here, but it’s not like you haven’t seen a rumble.

8 Likes

Congrats @juli0r

You’re gonna love that amp!

4 Likes

:rofl:
I want to hear some stories from @eric.kiser when he gets a cab for that thing, and starts to crank it up - that is a ton of juice!

I am too, but learning more lately. I think one of the reasons I like the Rumble 100,200,500s are that they are just plug-n-play, but still such good quality in so many general areas. That said, a specific head / cab combo based on your tastes is probably the eventual way to go. (Once you can wrap your mind around some of the technical / audio aspects of this stuff! Feeling like that’s a ways off for me right now though.)

Maybe it’s time to start a Multiple Amp Disorder thread soon, lol!

3 Likes

Not with your cat sleeping on it! :blush:

1 Like