Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

2003 MIM Jazz Bass and Rumble 500.

18 Likes

giphy

10 Likes

Okay, time for the story of bass #2

So the local Sam Ash is is about 5 minutes drive from my work and while I’ve driven by it countless times in the past 5-6 years, I did not walk into the store for the first time until July 2022. Prior to that I had visited a Guitar Center but I really didn’t like the vibe in those stores so I looked for a different shop. This store is the same store where I bought the buttercream bass mentioned earlier.

Since it’s so close, I like to pop in there on lunch and noodle around on the basses some days. One day, I spotted this fretless MIM Jazz Bass and picked it up to play. I had never played a fretless before and the difference in tone was very attractive.

Fast forward a couple weeks, and I had been playing it multiple times a week and finally decided I had to have it! :laughing: So I brought it home a couple days ago.

I’ve found I can play longer on this fretless before my fingers tire so that’s been a plus and it’s been a different world of tonal options. The mwaaaaaaah is too much fun when sliding :rofl:

I’m also glad that this is a J Bass very similar to the buttercream bass. When I decide to bounce back and forth the notes are pretty much in the same place on each neck so that should help with muscle memory.

It’s a 2000 MIM model with some wear and tear. The deep blue is especially striking. I think the flats on this guy are super dead and the nut very likely needs replacing but I’m planning to play it a bit longer before looking to make some changes.

Here it is hanging out with it’s buttercream buddy.

A closer look:

I’ve almost finished the B2B course with the fretted bass and I think it might be time to run through it again with the fretless!

P.S. Does this mean I officially have G.A.S??

18 Likes

5 Likes

thanks! I paid $600AUD (currently $407USD) for it all (bass, amp, cable, a few picks, crappy strap and flimsy gig bag). I had a Fender Squier guitar in the past that I sold for a slightly less than what I paid, and from my research the resale value is good. Not that I want to part with my ‘Jasson’ (as in Jason Newsted) :smiley:

6 Likes

Well, you have two basses, so you definitely have Multiple Bass Disorder (MBD). A full-on GAS infection is just around the corner!

11 Likes

Yes. Very definitely, yes.

And, lo, they said unto me, from this day forth, the magnitude of your smile will be in direct proportion to the decimation of your wallet.

8 Likes

Just arrived from Sweetwater. A Spector NS 4. I keep a headphone amp in my office at work so I’ve already played it a little. I love the way it feels. The neck is great. Plus it only weighs 7.5 pounds.

25 Likes

Congrats! That is a great bass. Play it like it owes you money (‘cause it kinda does).

5 Likes

I love how Gregor calls tort pickguards “salami” pickguards. Can’t I see it after you hear it.

8 Likes

Love the color

6 Likes

Having bass envy here

6 Likes

MOST of us have restraint when buying basses…you either say “nah I don’t need it” or you sell a couple to buy the holy grail…and there’s some like me and @John_E and @TNKA36 who have more than we should :D. The key will be when you start buying pedals.

6 Likes

That is such a fitting description!

4 Likes

Thanks @Wombat-metal

3 Likes

Love me some salami on a bass or guitar.

4 Likes

Add me to the club!

Must be out of love for salami! His BassTheWorld signature bass is white with tort. :wink:

5 Likes

Yep!

4 Likes

That is a beautiful bass @joeike

7 Likes

Uhm, ooooops?
Bought this tuner pedal today. In my defense it was placed directly in front of my face when I was at the local bass store.
All I need is a good tuner pedal… Or 2 (one for at home and one in the gigbag as a reserve) :man_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes