Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Woah… What, pray tell, is that intriguing keyboard’y looking thing on top of your larger Rumble?

Where is that Pepto? I feel a case of GAS coming on…

3 Likes

Can’t speak for the J’s but it’s hard to describe how much more I like my MIJ P-bass with a DiMarzio Model P in it versus the stock Fender pickup (in this case, the Hybrid II P).

The DiMarzio’s just are in a different world for clarity, punchiness and sound quality. So good. Gotta love ceramic pickups for that mids punch and overall brightness. I listened to a lot of P pickups and this was my favorite.

I’d say the Model P is hot but not alarmingly so. It’s definitely not an issue with mine. And yes, it’s not a pure “vintage Fender P sound”. That’s ok with me because IMO it’s better :rofl:

4 Likes

Oh these Dimarzios are what the call ‘heavy drive’, not sure what they equate to in their old (circa 2006-2010) lineup or today’s lineup, but they are hot as hell.
I had rounds on it for a while but didn’t love, too bright and hot for me, but that is just me.
Closest I would say is a hot music man pickup in JJ form, lol

4 Likes

Arturia Minilab 2. There’s the 3 version out now. Inexpensive, nice feel to the keys and it’s small.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MiniLabMk3--arturia-minilab-3-25-slim-key-controller

4 Likes

Great brand for MIDI controllers; I’ve owned two of theirs. They don’t make a bad product.

1 Like

Colorful bass. I know very little about the Fleabass, what drew you to them? Also, you might want to head over to the Introduce Yourself! (2023) thread and say hi, if you haven’t already. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The colors :slight_smile: I was obsessed with RHCP and Flea in high school and that’s when I found out that Flea had produced these basses. I was looking for one in good condition for quite some time as they were already discontinued and finally found one I last month. And thanks for the tip, will do!

4 Likes

Congrats!
What’s your impression so far? I have a 2005 Premium Version Tribute L-2000 and it has taken me forever to like it. It’s such a great bass but very complex compared to a p-bass.
I honestly only use it passive/neck pickup and adjust treble/bass, never at full volume, it does make a big difference. The string choice is also so important…

2 Likes

My first bass just arrived, so here I am! I’ve been my son’s guitar tech for years, so I went low cost, figuring I could do any work it needed as long as the bridge was on straight. Amazingly other than minor adjustments for intonation it seems great and is in spec on everything with just a few tweaks. Now to learn to play it!

22 Likes

Greetings Benjamin! Welcome to the Forum. I love the colour of that bass. I am also partial to PJ basses! AND I am simply bewildered by the array of “tech” behind that bass. I would love a couple hours in there with a guided tour!

3 Likes

I’d be happy to show you around my crazy modular synth setup any time! My absolute love is programming drum tracks on it which is what led me to the bass. I play a little guitar but drum and bass have always been much more my jam.

4 Likes

Welcome @ZeroLucksGiven ! That bass is kinda low key fire. Looks Like it’s a rip to play.

3 Likes

This is what got me started too, back in college; that and sequencing synths. Still a major love of mine, at least as much as bass :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love it! The range of tones is incredible. There is definitely a lot going on with it and I sometimes forget which switch position does what so it can be a much. I mostly keep it on active, in series with both pick ups or neck pickup only. The output is a lot so I also tend to not have volume all the way up. I love gear but I haven’t really felt compelled to get another bass since getting it

3 Likes

Welcome @ZeroLucksGiven, glad you joined us. Congrats on the straight bridge :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

Ok, the stingray 5 i got from @PamPurrs arrived yesterday. I managed to get it unboxed, but it’s a pretty hectic week here in the land of the random electrician. I’ll get some play time and some pictures on it tomorrow and get it posted here.

21 Likes

Super great that it found a home with another Buzzer.

6 Likes

My Squier Affinity PJ. I replaced the strings with some flatwounds (Rotosound RS77LD Jazz Bass Strings) which are nice and smooth. I ended up buying my own tools and learning to adjust the truss, string heights, and intonation as it was a hot mess when I got it from Amazon heh. It’s a bit heavy, I almost wonder if I would enjoy a short scale bass? Maybe I’ll set a goal to go to a music shop and try some nicer basses out once I finish the Badass course!

17 Likes

Agreed. Not only did i get a really well-kept instrument. I also got a piece of badass bass gal history. :blush:

8 Likes

It looks good. And yes, gas is real. You just got a bass and already thinking about the next one? You are the latest victim. It’s funny really. How having several basses (bassae?) Makes a person want more. I got it, too. I Just got one and havent even played it yet, really. But That sadowsky down at the music store is on my mind…

6 Likes