Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

I love my Junior Jet - it’s the bass I reach for when I just feel like playing for fun.

I did a mod to it that you may find interesting:

5 Likes

2000 StingRay 5 and in discontinued metallic black. A workhorse of a bass!!
Alvarez Yairi: friend of mine (praise leader for Grace On Fire whom I was the bassist for 15 years) gave to my granddaughter before he passed from battling brain cancer.

19 Likes

I am giddy!
My Aerodyne’s new sister arrived today.
Holy cow it looks brand new, mint from top to bottom, looks like it was never played.
Even came with the original owner’s manual (in Japanese).
I think the only thing needed here is a white pearl pickguard to match the P.
Pretty cool to have the same bass in both P and J necks, etc.
Setup, fretboard oil and flats are all this girls needs.
I am super excited for this one.

26 Likes

Congratulations John!
Many hours of enjoyment.

5 Likes

Pair of beauties

6 Likes

Wow, @John_E ! I’m blown away, they are so beautiful.

6 Likes

Yeah. That’s a beautiful set.

5 Likes

I’ve got the new one all set up.

This is the first Fender anything I have seen with a matte finish neck, really like it.
I do not like the ‘special edition’ Dimarzio pickups much though.
I was thinking it would be cool to swap out the EMG pickups in the PJ with matching Dimarzios with black pole pieces but from what I am hearing…nope nope nope.

I’ve got a Fralin P coming for the HMT hollow body to replace the ‘special edition’ Lace/Fender pickups (hmmm, theme here??). If I like it I might try out the Fralin J set in this bass.

Like the P, this J has sustain for days.

8 Likes

I had yo pull the trigger sooner or later :

the strings (Ibanez carbon coated) are horrible but otherwise it’s a nice little instrument. the neck is comfortable and the bass sounds really better than I expected, plugged and unplugged. Also I like the minimal rustic finish even if it’s hard to render in picture.

19 Likes

Nice! Is it a full 34" scale?

6 Likes

it’s a 32" which is fine for me for this kind of instrument.

also it lacks a thumb rest, I will have to fix that.

7 Likes

I was thinking for an acoustic I would probably prefer a 32" or 30", otherwise the body would be very big.

5 Likes

yeah that was my though. also Ibanez makes a very cute Parlor bass but at less than 25" it’s ridiculously short, so I prefered the 32" one.

also I might tune it in D#-std to match my acoustic guitars, and so it makes a 30" in E-std with a capo on the first fret. not sure at this point if I will really do it, but it’s a viable option.

4 Likes

Very nice @terb Laurent. Looking forward to your first cover with it.

4 Likes

If Egg Sound is the name of the music shop and their strap line isn’t “Our prices are hard to beat” then I’ll be disappointed.

That’s a beautiful looking bass.
Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 7.40.05 AM

8 Likes

Sold the Road Worn so here’s the new line-up:

This is it for me for a long while. Going to concentrate more on playing than looking at gear moving forward.

18 Likes

And the collection grows…

I need to do a setup on it since the B string is a little buzzy but I’m not sure what the specs are for string height, etc. for 5s.

17 Likes

I set E theough G the same and B a whisker higher. For me that would be just a hair over 3mm. Then back down until buzzy, then back up a hair.

5 Likes

Just go by feel, specs are a starting point at best. You don’t need them :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I know they use these type of strings on Taylor acoustic basses:

3 Likes