Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

yeah, that’s great on an acoustic guitar but I don’t find it’s appropriate for a bass. I will very probably replace the strings by a set of tapewounds.

4 Likes

Score! New old stock. Hooked up with @T_dub last Friday we saw this hanging. It’s a 2018 EBMM Cutlass bass. Couldn’t believe it, priced lower than used ones. The guy said it’s been hanging there for a year now, I said if I come back next week, no tax? He said deal. Today is technically next week so I went and thanks again to @T_dub for meeting me there. Barely got home now, time to put this baby through its pace.

22 Likes

22 Likes

Suh-weeeeeeeet! Even the cord matches!

From this perspective the neck looks massive. Is it a big, fat P-style neck, or is it just a trick of the perspective?

6 Likes

Love that colour!

5 Likes

I’m so new to the bass world I had to look this up. Turns out, she does have a “Jackson P-neck”. :blush:

5 Likes

Thank you. I’m so in love with her! :star_struck:

6 Likes

The matching cord is a nice touch. Don’t let @John_E see this or he’ll need 13 different coloured cords :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It’s all about color coordination…AKA "cord"ination! :rofl:

9 Likes

That color is fantastic!

7 Likes

It’s a plethora of P-Bass in here these days.

Very nice @Al1885. I’ve never even seen a cutlass over this side of the pond but they really do look very well put together.

@KellyAllane , That green is awesome, but then I’m biased.
That’s going to stand out on any stage!

Well played! :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

5 Likes

Man did that thing sound sweet.
Pretty nice Genzler amp that you got to play thru.
Aren’t you glad I mentioned the case?
You might have said something, but with alll the ecitement of the new bass, you may have left without the Music Man case for it. :rofl: :rofl:

I love the big fat poles on that P pick up on the Cutlass.
Man that bass felt nice. The neck is super clean and smooth. Hard to tell, but seemed a little smaller then a Stingray neck, but I would have to hold them side by side to know if it was a little thinner behind the fretboard.
What a steal.
I saw the tag, it was Orig priced the 2018 list (I am assuming) of $2199, and the deal you got, out the door with the case, WOW. I like that place.

They have that G&L CFL L-1000 that I am in love with, and drooled over again today, but I even brought a strap, and hooked it up so I could give it a real try.
Man, it lists at $1600, and they have it marked down to $1200, and I am willing to bet, that would be price, out the door if I were serious about getting it, which I am not, 10000% not. Couldn’t afford any way how possible. (Plus, my first goal is a computer, which I think I finally nailed down what I am getting and should have it here by the weekend, and once again, I will have my little spot in heaven set up, and back to playing more and more bass, and finishing courses and all that good stuff. SOOOOOoo hard on my mental health without my little set up to keep me going)

I did ask about tributes, and he did have an L-2000 coming in this week, apparantly, they do not do a Tribute L-10000, which is unfortunate, as I prefer the nice magnetic field pick up (Humbucker / P / single coil and OMG mode) to be the singel ick up variety, which makes it a Stingray with a super versatile pick up in the P pick up location
The L-2000 has 2 pick ups. Lots more options, but I fear, like the Stingray, I may not like the double pick ups. I willl check it out tho, the pick ups are excellent, and not the cheapos that go in the Ray4HH, so that can make all the difference in the world.

Plus he is getting in the other two models that @joergkutter is interested in, the LB-100 and SB2.
All three should be in this week.

I am still not serious about buying them, but I am now so curious as to how a tribute will feel next to a SFL, or any of the made in USA (Fullerton, CA).

I know Lobster was a little dissappointed with the LS-100, after giving the CFL-1000 5 clasw and saying, although it is not perfet, as nothing reallly is, but for the pricetag of $1600 list, or less if you find it on sale like I did, he rated it that high, just saying you get your moneys worth in this bass, and at that price, this is well worth it.

But with the Tribute, th gave it 3 claws, which is stilll a good rating, he considers it a B rating compared to an A or A+.
But what he is saying, is for the same exact money as the G&L Tribute LS-100, he was a little disappointed in lack of QC, there were blemishes that should have been caught, there was a few loose screws, etc…
Otherwise, playing it, feel and sound, and pick up options are all great, just his opinion, for hte cost of the bass (IDK the cost)
There are lots of options. If you want it, and like the MF pick ups and the feel and sond and playability, it is by no means a bad bass, just you might find a better package for the same cost.

Thats how lobster rates things, what they cost, what the value is, how it competes with other basses in the same price range, and it is completely his opinion.

I just now from the things I have had, kept, sold, played, etc… things I had some knowledge of, I tend to agree with him almost all the time. Not quite, but almost.

I am anxious to get to play around with the tribute and see if I give Lobsters review on the tribute 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 claws. :rofl: :rofl:. :rofl:

Love that green @KellyAllane
I have always liked the diamond or triangle inlays, very rickenbacker. And I only really ever notice them on Jacksons too.
Cool Strap

How are you liking that P bass neck.
It is the bigger neck, wider and usually thicker, can be daunting for new players.

I started off with super thin necks, and I still love a J (Jazz neck) which is the opposite of a P neck pretty much. It is narrow and thinner, is usually quicker to move around the fretboard, and often is easier for beginners.
It is not necessary to get a J neck or smaller neck to learn, don’t get me wrong, that neck might feel great and fit you perfectly.
But, if you ever feel you are struggling to keep up with lessons, your hands hurt more then you think they should, you start to get a “I can’t do” attitude, Fret not (pun intenede), you always have the option to try out thinner necks
Squire Jazz (or any brand Jazz bass mainly)
Ibanez SR (250, 300, 500, 650, 800, etc…)
Yamaha RBX-170 or TRBX-174 (and up)

Again, don’t take this wrong, just want you to know there is an option easier to learn on / handle necks, and you can even gete Short Scale which are shorter, and the distance between frets like stretching from fret 3 to 5 or 5 to 7 is smaller on a short scale then on a 34” standard scale.

Never want new people to stop playing because they don’t enjoy the equipment they are playing on.
Looking at yours, I find it hard to see not enjoying it, but with the wide neck, UNLESS you really like that, (and-many people do), just keep it inn the bak of your ind, so if you are ever feeling down, you can ind that (I CAN DO) back to your practice.

I only wrote this up because of your comment “

So if you are already comfortable with it, and having no issues moving thru lessons and learning, don’t worry about what I said, but if you do struggle, and think this might be why, try something else and see if it changes struggles to success.

7 Likes

@T_dub All advice welcome here. I do notice it takes me a second or two to get my left fingers/hand in a comfy position, but so far it has not discouraged me. Thank you for the heads up, I will keep these options in mind as I continue taming this beautiful green machine.

4 Likes

@Al1885 Great score!

On a side note, please share your tips/tricks/secrets to keeping your wife talking to you while owning so many basses. I’ve hit my limit :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

@Barney when I bought my first bass, the Squier 70s Jazz, i did in fact buy a yellow/brown tweed cord to match! Next bass (Rocco bass) also matched this cable. Third bass was black, so that was easy. I had forgotten about cords until now!

4 Likes

Welcome to the green bass club! @KellyAllane

4 Likes

My husband is a drummer and his trick/tip to owning so many kits was to buy buy me my bass. I can a attest to it working.

5 Likes

She’s got no interest. We bought her a triangle as that is her speed and she never practices.

4 Likes

That is freaking amazing! Love the strap, too!

Don’t worry about the p-bass neck, you’ll get used to it. One thing that will make a world of difference in playability, though, is a proper setup. A good luthier/tech can adjust the action to your playing style, string preference, etc.

3 Likes

L[quote=“John_E, post:5284, topic:608, full:true”]
@Al1885 Great score!

On a side note, please share your tips/tricks/secrets to keeping your wife talking to you while owning so many basses. I’ve hit my limit :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
[/quote]
Lol, I make a big show and tell everytime I sell an instrument. She’s the one who suggested that I acquire better instruments. I used to get more imports version and sell it. She said why don’t you get a good one instead of several affordable ones so you’ll be happier with it.

I consider myself a good husband so I just followed her suggestion blind, lol.

My problem is I’m running out of room. I will have to have a fire sales soon to seriously thinning down the herds.

5 Likes