Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

That looks stunning, Pam. I’m well and truly impressed and I generally dislike the color red.

4 Likes

That looks very nice, @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile:

Sara did some great work there!

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

That’s a nice practice amp/cab you had there :rofl:

5 Likes

Today I use a Fender Rumble 40.

4 Likes

I added one last touch: I painted the truss rod cover red. The only thing left to do is add a couple red knobs for the volume controls, and everything will be complete.
I have officially dubbed her, Rosie III

16 Likes

I really have to name my basses.
I have a few saxes named, but not all.

4 Likes

I don’t think there are enough names in the name book to name ALL YOUR basses. You’re going to have to make some up.
(Pam runs and hides)

4 Likes

I seem to remember you were going to buy your BB735 back… Did that deal fall through or is my memory playing tricks on me (it’s been known to happen)?

4 Likes

Yes, I had contacted the man I sold it to and told him I’d be willing to buy it back. He told me to check back with him at a later time. When I checked in with him about a month later, he told me he had traded it into a local music store for a different bass. I was furious! He gave me the name of the music store and I contacted them, but they had already sold it to someone else.

4 Likes

That… is ALL that counts.

And I love the finish on your StingRay. S’good lookin’. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just to remind, I don’t have nearly the number that @TNKA36 or @Al1885 have, and I am sure there are some other hoarders hiding out in the forum.

4 Likes

That’s why I don’t use names on mine. They are zeros and ones, lol. Oh short scale Sterling it’s 01000111, now I run and hide, lol

5 Likes

So nice, all three of them. How did you find yourself on the 5 string, after a relatively short time. Was it difficult to mute ? I admit that sometimes the thought of getting a 5 string, in the future, crosses my mind. But I still have a lot of music to extract from my current bass… In due time, maybe.

4 Likes

Thanks! I tried to arrange a reasonable light to capture it, but in person it is even better!

3 Likes

Learning on the 5 string gave me a tremendous advantage, in that I can now easily switch between a 5 string, 4 string, or BEAD bass.

As far as muting, I have been using the floating thumb technique almost from the beginning, which has many benefits; not the least of which is its built in muting system.

3 Likes

That would be placing the thumb starting from the pick up and up to the A? or do you stop to the E in the 5 string case? On my 4 string I usually rest the thumb mainly on the pickup and the E-string, more rarely I go up to the A, I don’t know if this has a name (and maybe is inefficient and I should avoid it, in order to make more “economic” hand movements…)

4 Likes

With the floating thumb technique, there is no anchoring, the thumb slides up and down on the strings while plucking with the index and middle finger. The thumb mutes all the strings lower than the one being played. There’s a bit of a learning curve to it, but once you’ve done it, you never want to go back to anchoring.
I learned it from watching this video.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. I “naturally” tried it but forced myself to be a bit more conscious with my thumb position and learned about anchoring. I can see that on 5+ strings it is a real life-saver!

3 Likes

That’s a whole lot of Rosies

9 Likes

I find I do this naturally. I don’t know when I started

4 Likes