Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

NOW he’s happy! {lol} . . . :rofl:

Cheers
Joe :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Nice! It looks almost identical to my fretless jazz bass. Same finish.

4 Likes

Make that a C-4XXX.
One popped up for sale today in the local OFFER UP. $220, not a bad deal at all, especially if it comes with the case, but it didn’t say in the ad, and I have not inquired.
They are kind of fun, odd basses with the stamped sheet metal body with plastic top, and IIRC, the neck is carbon fiber or metal reinforced. It is painted, so not easy just to look at it and know for sure.
They even sound pretty cool acoustically.
I have no need for it, other then to hand on the wall and look cool, so I won’t be getting it, unless it stays up for a month or so, and drops under $150, but I doubt it, cuz the price is very reasonable.

13 Likes

That really IS a great looking bass, @T_dub . . . naked pinups aside :wink:

Cheers
Joe

8 Likes

Quinn is finally here, my new Harley. She arrived this morning, I went by at lunch to pick her up so she can acclimate.

First impression, the strings feel cheap and I haven’t even played them. Just rubbing against them, they’ve got to go.

The fit of the neck and body is perfect, no gapping

The frets feel fine, no sharp edges.

Fretboard is amaranth (purple heart :purple_heart:) and is very dry. Will oil when I do the strings

The neck feels substantial but not huge, I’m not a good judge. After playing my Charvel a couple weeks, my Jazz bass feels chonky in comparison and I know it’s not.

Only fitment issue I can find is the button on the horn isn’t perfectly flush.

Even the tortoiseshell pickguard isn’t quite horrendous.

Two possible alternatives. Bully ThaKid said he ordered a replacement pickguard off Amazon so I tried a couple brands for cheap. This would be to go with my blue skull strap and silver DiMarzio pickups. That’s silver on the right

You ain’t seen nothing like the Mighty Quinn

$122 usd and shipping. The world is mad

15 Likes

I truly wish I had room for one of those.
Hope it works out. Can’t wait to see what you think of it when you play it.

4 Likes

Wait. It came with that gig bag too for that price? I don’t understand.

5 Likes

That there is the gig bag I linked awhile back that Guitar Center was selling for $50 (a $120 bag). I forget the specific model atm, it’s been back at $120 for a while, though.

5 Likes

So I am finally a Ric man @Ed !
She’s here. I’m officially in love with a neck.

1971 4001 with the sickest most unique neck I’ve ever seen. Binding is perfect. Everything works great. It has some Stars Guitars bridge or something bridge on it but came with a Hipshot too that will go on instead as I like the look better.

Quick playtest and I totally dig the Rickenbacker growl. Need to get rid of the DR Highbeams on it (which aren’t too bad for rounds actually) but I want flats on it.

21 Likes

They sell a guitar 2x12 with Vintage 30s for $225 via some sort of sorcery, too.

3 Likes

I am not a big Rick fan myself but I really like the woodwork on that one. I would have bought it for that alone (not that I can afford it).

Congratulations. Hope its just as comfortable and fun to play as the sheer look of it.

6 Likes

Well, it’s like this. I have a PO box at a UPS store, and get most of my mail there, and all my shipping. Stuff is indoors away from the rain, which west of Seattle we have more often then not, always someone to meet the truck, and I’m not giving out my address.

So I get a guitar delivered to the store, un box it, put it in a gig bag, and throw the box in the bed of my truck ready for the transfer station. The bass sits in my office as I work acclimating. Probably an unusual system, but it works.

Indeed it is. You prompted me, and I bought two, and I really like them. Steal at $50. Thanks for the tip

Way cool man, and wait for your John’O’Sound

Seriously, I have wanted a Ric for sometime, sadly only a wish right now

Haven’t played it yet, but the pickups came in, and the hardware. The neck is nice and satin-y. Have to eat dinner then a little work. Remove the strings, install starp locks, change pick guard, clean, oil the fretboard, and put the new strings back on. Basically my new bass routine, with a pickguard. Silver or blue? I’m torn lol.

6 Likes

Looks nice John @John_E ,
I have flats on mine :+1:
The necks are really nice on the Rics, hope you enjoy it,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

What flats are you using Brian @TNKA36 ?
I have D’Addario Chromes to try now and La Bella low tensions on the way to try too

5 Likes

Hi John, @John_E ,
I use EB Slinky Flats on mine,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Well I played the PB 20 for a bit tonight. She sounds really nice. Neck feels nice in the hand, and is thicker than I usually play, but feels nice, good bass to chill with. Does not feel like a $120 bass, except for the bridge. Yuck. Would like to replace it.

But with flats, sounds like a P bass. Would like more low end punch, but that is coming soon.

4 Likes

@John_E Oh that is gorgeous - I would probably just hang it up and look at it all day :grinning: oooooo - checkerboard binding :ok_hand:

Do you think you’ll keep the pickup cover off? I find mine really useful for playing with a pick but, yeah, it limits fingerstyle and changing strings is a pain …

Flats eh? Waiting for the first cover !

Congrats again - you will definitely look back on this as one of your better decisions :slight_smile: :+1:

5 Likes

Wow, that really is spectacular, @John_E . . . :open_mouth:

Beautiful wood color and grain, and yes, that through neck . . . I can see why!

Good for you and wishing you lots of happy playing . . :metal:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Original is MIA.
I’ve got to order replacement but will play like this for a bit to see how I like without.

It needs a good cleaning and setup which as I watch videos is a whole different thing in these old ones.

4 Likes

Oh man, this angle looks great @John_E
Enjoy!

7 Likes