Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

one time someone did this to me (I was selling a bicycle). I hated it and I felt I’ve been stolen. I’ve been really upset and I swore I won’t ever be scammed again this way.

in my opinion, if you were OK with the seller to pay $300, it’s not honest to show up and give him only $270.

just my opinion.

8 Likes

Damn @T_dub:no_mouth: :no_mouth: Speechless…

Like @terb, I too have been on the other end of this stick however, unlike Terb, I refused to sell - which did upset the buyer in a way but to me at that point it was more about principal… Personally, (and don’t take me wrong please), I’ve always believed that when any price is agree’d upon, that is the set price and price negotiations are finished. But then again (just me and my opinion), although I might be 67 years old, I am still an Eagle Scout and still always try to live by the oath I took back in 1966…

But, you obviously got yourself a killer deal from the looks of things… Really nice bass!!

10 Likes

I have to admit that I’m with @terb and @Lanny on this one.

A deal is a deal. Choose to not honour it? If I’m the seller, you return home emptyhanded. Well, with your money.

8 Likes

If that upsets the buyer, that’s not your problem. You had a deal – but he chose to break it.

8 Likes

When I list something, I always add room for the buyer to barter. That way I get what I want and they feel good about it. I have even “surprised” a couple and taken a bit off the cost when they arrive. If both parties are happy, that’s all.

5 Likes

Yes, of course. But a deal is a deal. Agreeing on a price, and then using a trick to not honour the agreement is breaking the deal.

If someone asks “will you take 300” and I say yes, I expect them to show up with 300. If they don’t, that breaks the deal, and there will be no transaction that day.

7 Likes

Absolutely!

6 Likes

Agreed, however the number was not confirmed, and a deal was not set. Had it been, I would have honored it. This time the seller let me know he was not set on his price. I did not say I was coming to buy it, I said I want to come look at it.
I beleive this is a clear difference between an agreed upon deal, and an opportunity to bargain.
Plus, I said I would go to the ATM and get the money, unless he will take the $270 I had. Ball was in his court.

I too would have sent me to the ATM, or sent me packing @Lanny, @terb and @peterhuppertz, but I do not agree to any wrong doing. I only set myself up for a better deal.

I do not expect you to agree, but I do not feel that what I did lacked principle and honor.

1 Like

On the other hand, I have bought from a seller for above the asking price, because I wanted what he was selling, and wanted him to sell to me.
He was selling for $90. I sent a message that I will buy for $100. After not hearing back for 30 min, knowing he had others trying to buy it, I offered $120.
After about 30 more minutes, he said he would sell to me, and $100 was fine because no other person offered more then $90.

I showed up, did not even do a thorough inspection of the Bass, because I AGREED to buy it, sight unseen, knowing there was one issue with it.
I did not show up with any less then the AGREED upon sales price, I even showed up with the full offer value of $120 and offered it again since I was greatful he sold to me. He refused it, honoring the AGREED upon price.

I do value honor, honesty and integrity, but I know how to barter and get deals as well.

3 Likes

This whole sub-discussion is a good example of why I never buy or sell in person and only through services with a payment processor (ebay/paypal, mercari, etc) that handles most issues for me.

It’s true that I don’t get the absolute best margin, but it’s much less hassle and I have still managed to turn a profit, buying and selling.

6 Likes

I lIke the guarantee, and at times warranty you get that way @howard, and don’t cut yourself short, there are still great deals to be had that way, take for example the MS-60b I just got off of Offer Up was bought and paid thru the app, with buyer protection. Came today, it’s great.

Sure, many transactions thru offer up are person to person, but when shipping is involved, you go thru offer up, and there is buyer protection.
But
Keep in mind, a driving principal behind offer up, implied in the name, is people put things for sale, and you CAN make formal offers. When doing so, you are entering a binding contract, saying if the seller accepts, you are charged by your method of payment, and protected.
However, this is often side stepped, ultimately so you can SEE the item before final purchase.
That said, if you make a verbal agreement, you should honor it, and I will, and do, each and every time, as long as the item is as described.
However, if I made a verbal agreement, got there and something was not disclosed about the item, I would either, A, back out of the deal, or B, renegotiate the deal.

But, I never had, and often do not have agreements in place to go view an item.

If I call GC, ask if they have an item in stock, and then ask the price, when I get there, ai may or may not buy.
But
If I call, ask if it’s there, and he says, got one left. I ask how much, like the price, and ask him to hold it til I get there, I buy it as long as nothing is off, color, exact item, etc…

But like I said, with that last purchase, no agreement was made or implied.

1 Like

It’s just like buying a used car or a house in my opinion. The seller says they want 500 for it and it’s in X,Y,Z condition. You turn up and it’s only got X and Y - there’s no Z. So I’ll say I’ll do it for 430 because there’s no Z. You barter up and down and both agree and it’s done.

If it’s a contract written in blood etc, then fair enough, but I can’t be arsed splitting hairs over something that’s hardly worth talking about - money is overrated - basses are not :smiley:

3 Likes

This paints a different, more sympathetic and honourable, picture than what I understood from your first post.

3 Likes

Sorry man, work left me wiped out this week. I’m in San Diego, Lakeside to be more precise which is in east county. I’m selling the b4 for what I paid for it $400.00. I don’t know what it would cost to ship it, I guess that depends on where it’s going but I’d have to add that to the price.

2 Likes

Here’s my bass, an MIA Fender Jazz that I am very happy with. I am hoping to stave off GAS by starting on the instrument that I have always wanted.

16 Likes

Very nice!
Congrats.
There’s something about cream bass’s, they look classy

5 Likes

Sweeet!

3 Likes

Excellent choice, @MDA . . . I’m sure you will be very happy :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Ibanez SR300 e Cerulean Aura Blue is my latest bass, a present from my wife. A big jump from a Pbass in so many ways. I’m still not sure what the colour is as it changes in different lighting. She plays a dream with great sustain.

18 Likes