Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Oh I like that !
I wonder if anyone has done a Sharpie bass ? Hmmmmmmm :thinking::crazy_face:

2 Likes

you could be the one!! As my buddy used to say, “don’t threaten me with a good time”

3 Likes

Funny you should say that as I’ve been pricing up P style bodies, J style necks and pickups etc today :scream: Might be a case of watch this space if the finances balance

2 Likes

It’s already been done :cry:

4 Likes

Like, I can barely write legibly on a whiteboard. That’s impressive :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve done a couple of helmets so I might be up for it

3 Likes

Yep I got Ha… happy when I saw it.
I love that bass, it is stunning. What kind is it? I don’t recall seeing you list it?

Sticker Danelectro is pretty bad ass too. Now I know what to do to freebie or cheap Basses I get

I must bite my tongue here, and I will keep pressure on it😉

4 Likes

I have no idea of the model or make…in Seoul there is a huge music mall called Nakwan and thats where all the music stores go to purchase goods to put in their stores…I walked in to my favorite dealer and said I need a five string bass for my son…this was the first one that he brought out and I tooled around on and it seemed OK paid him and walked out surprisingly enough it plays well and sounds great even with 13 yr old strings on it. About stickers, just look on amazon and buy a whole sticker pack for about $5 if you get the black and white you get less cheesy ones (not cheesy in a good way) that you’ll never use.

3 Likes

Yeah, getting stickers is the easy part. Getting a bass that I want to do that is the other part, and not a difficult task, just takes willingness to look at cheaper models, of which there are plenty, so it takes stars to line so there is a cheap model, for next to nothing, within a 10-15 mile radius.

I often find things, say “that’s cool, yeah, I would pay $40 for it, where is it”

Then I look and it’s like a 90 min drive, double if there is LA traffic, and I say, “F it”.

Someone had one of those cool looking “Glarry” Basses, that kinda look like “ESP LTD F’s”, rand new for $40. If I didn’t just get the actual ESP LTD Tom Araya FRX, I would have been interested in it for $40, but then I saw where it was. ONTARIO, CA. That’s 1/2 way to Las Vegas. Forget that.

Well, really it’s only A little under 1/4 the way, but still…

Would be a cool sticker bass tho. Hmmm…:thinking:

4 Likes

Do it !!! :joy::crazy_face:

4 Likes

In the nicest possible way…

STFU!!!

Lol, but seriously, don’t make me drive to Ontario.

Then again…

I have some friends that are up in Lake Arrowhead (Big Bear, CA) this week and wanted me to go up for a day. I could fit Ontario into the drive there, ummm, sort of…

See what you got me doing… damn it

4 Likes

As I said in my previous post…do it ! :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

There is a very nice fernandes four string at the pawnshop near my house for $75 but it looks way too nice for stickers…bet you could find an old ugly something from company X with a nice neck in need of a set of pick ups and 30 or 40 stickers to make it your own…its like you’re not even trying

4 Likes

I technically already have something, but it’s a natural finish wood grain, sting ray copy. It was only $40, but I kind of like it. I much rather cover up a high gloss black or white bass

And yess, I could blindly throw a grain of sand in any direction and find something suitable, would take no effort at all.

4 Likes

I used to play an orange sparkle (Copper) Danelectro when I was a senior in high school (1965). When I went off to college, I sold all my gear.

Fast forward to two months ago. I have been retired now for nine years and got the itch to get back into playing. I went “whole hog” and bought a Spector Euro 5LX.

I’m enjoying the course, but still having learning issues. I know the bass needs a full setup.

12 Likes

Wow, beautiful :star_struck:

3 Likes

Those are great basses. Doing a setup yourself isn’t hard and is worth learning, we have a few topics about it here.

4 Likes

Ohhhhh!!! A Spector. Nice.
This might be bass buzz forums first Spector.

They are on my to do list, or bucket list.
I have never played one, but I can’t wait to get to.

I didn’t act on one for sale in time and it went for $200. Now the same model and similar color is for sale For $500

Still kicking myself. I wish I would have gone and played it, although, had I, it would have come home with me, and I was eyeballing two other Basses at the time. Ended up with my ESP LTD B-4E after the Spector was gone, which I love.

Had I got the Spector, I probably would be kicking myself over the LTD B-4E​:joy::joy:

Beautiful bass you have.

Any chance you hav3 any old photographs of you with your Orange Danelectro?

3 Likes

What a beauty :drooling_face: :drooling_face:

I agree with @howard - Especially if you already have playing experience in the past it is well worth it to learn how to do a setup yourself - there are threads about it and a lot of really helpful youtube videos exist. Not only to save money but also in order to fine adjust settings to your liking. A setup by a professional surely will have a result you can play with but after doing my first setup I can’t even imagine giving it to someone else ever again for a setup.

3 Likes

And might be perfect, but in reality, will likely need you to do final adjustments to get it exactly to your liking, or to fix something that goes out after the first few times you play as it settles, as the strings stretch, and things of that nature.
It’s good to just do it yourself.
You can’t mess it up to where it could not be fixed in the extremely off chance you were not able to figure it out, and it feels good to do it on your own. It’s an accomplishment.

Unless it needs some electrical, or non replacements, or other things that are beyond what I can do with the tools I have, Yeah, I will have no need to take it in to a shop.

That said, I do have a bass I am taking in, I cant figure out how to re set a non, and dont have the tools to really get to it, so I am taking one in to a shop, but not for the basic set up adjustments.

3 Likes