Show Us Your Basses (Part 2)

Congratulations @AnotherJosh . She’s a real beauty

5 Likes

Hello! Brand new here, my primary art is ink work, so I decided to laser engraved my art on my bass and repaint it! Peavy T-40 from the attic lol.

25 Likes

Great work, @LoopyBEAST. Really original. :+1:

4 Likes

Cool! Reminds a bit of this:

My all-time favorite pinball machine!

5 Likes

Wicked!

5 Likes

That is so cool. Nice (ink) art!

We also got a thread on tattoos: Ok, I will start it. Show us your tattoos

6 Likes

I must confess to being on Sweetwater and looking at all the Fodera things. Thinking. Heavily. Wondering if I could really part with the bb1200 too make that happen… That is all for now.

5 Likes

That’s fantastic!

And that is a fantastic bass, I love mine!

5 Likes

You have had the distinct, rare experience of having held, played and heard a few Foderas. That’s a great thing. Keep thinking and evaluating your options, man. Where there’s a will there’s a way.

5 Likes

I get it, I have been looking at them new/used for awhile now. I was trying to decide if it was worth it a couple of months ago, and someone scooped it up before I made a decision. I can’t tell you if it is worth what Fodera charges, but I can tell you it has the best fit and finish of any bass I have had the opportunity to pick up. And that neck… a compound radius is no joke.

5 Likes

Well @AnotherJosh, you and @booker_t have set off a chain of events.
Outcome TBD.
Tadaaa inevitable.

9 Likes

Dooo eeeeeet!!!

5 Likes

So it’s a serious neck?

7 Likes

Really glad for you, @AnotherJosh. It’s absolutely fantastic.

5 Likes

Serious as a heart attack :broken_heart:

8 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DV7AiUYMek

5 Likes

That old Peavey T40 is cool. The art work, that takes it to another world.

5 Likes

I have had my Epiphone Viola for a little over a month now.
This was an unexpected purchase, I had intended to save up for one of those HB “not a Rick clone, honest” basses that Thomaan sells.
I wandered into the local music shop, we don’t have a lot, intending to look at hard cases and maybe the short scale Fenders/Squiers as there had been a thread about them and I wanted to see what the fuss was.

Anyway on an impulse I picked up the Viola on the way out. I though I would compare it to what I have which includes a Chinese made 500/1 clone bought through an Australian importer (Axiom).
My clone is quite good I feel, hollow and very light with a thin neck and thumpy, but it just doesn’t blow my hair back.
I had seen the viola in the shop previously but not paid a lot of interest as it had always been around to $900-$1000AUD mark.
Anyway I picked it up expecting meh, however I surprised myself.
I suppose this is what having more experience and having played more basses does, I was blown away.
The neck feels like a ‘standard’ neck ie; solid, robust, fills the hand nicely.
The body felt solid, it is heavier than my other Beatle bass, but in a good way. Not as heavy as my solid bodies but with enough mass to let you know it is there and is a solid instrument.
Then I looked at the tag $669 reduced from $1200 (for the overseas readers Australian prices on everything are insane), at that point I started having evil acquisitive thoughts, placed it back on the rack and left.
This was a Friday.

All weekend a tiny part of my brain’s RAM is turning over this bass, keeping open multiple tabs and generally being disruptive.
Yes, I Googled and read reviews, yes I searched Bassbuzz and TalkBass for threads.
Monday at lunch I though, I’ll just go have a look and maybe put it into an Amp.

Bad mistake. It followed me home.

The finish is just beautiful and draws in the eye, the burst is not lairy or overdone, there is no pickguard which I appreciate.
The Bridge is solid, I have no problem with it being a floating bridge (this seems to stress people out apparently-I have played fiddles and banjos so, no worries).
I like the headstock.
The frets are not sharp and seem even.
First thing I did when I got home was change the strings and put on the deep Talkin’ Hofner flats that had been on my other bass-it came with zingy rounds with red silks.

It has 3 control knobs, Vol Vol Tone.

Now the sound, this is what attracted me also.
It does not sound like my hollow light “Hofner clone” which to my ear does sound a lot like the real thing.

Here are the two together:

Front pickup alone does sound close, it is deep and thumpy, rich, but not as thumpy as the “nearly-Hofner”.
Unlike my clone the rear pickup is loud and clear and gives a good sound by itself with a bit of “twang(?)” (in a good way).
There is no hum even with the tone turned up.
I tend to like front pickup and no tone but I do play with them a bit and it is quite variable in what can be produced (especially with a Zoom B1).

The strap buttons are in the usual Hofner positions of rear of heel and base of the tail piece.
This means that it tends to flip forward so I changed that ASAP.
Being a gun nut I thought what is a better solution than Uncle Mike quick release loops.
so I got a couple and did both basses at the same time.

That worked well.
As you may see from the top pic I am experimenting with putting the strap under the tail piece but I may stop this as I don’t want to wear away the finish.

I have been using this as my goto bass since I got it, playing standing and sitting, playing Beatles, Deep Purple, Kiss, The Doors, basically every thing and it is quite versatile.

I have a little bit of affection everytime I take it from it’s case (which was a lucky find a few months earlier-a Hofner shaped case I bought for my clone which was about $40AUD!-found on Facebook)

Overall I am very happy and a little bit in love with this bass, it can do vintage and modern, is well made and looks beautiful.
Comfortable to hold and play.
For a very spontaneous purchase I think I did pretty well.
My other basses just glare at me sullenly when I practice now.

13 Likes

A relationship with your instrument is a beautiful thing. Congrats @Gloucestre

6 Likes

I finally figured out how to get photos from my phone to the desktop! Woohoo!

Andrew.

16 Likes