Show us your first bass!

Cort B4 plus
still my No. 1

10 Likes

Thanks curly. Best thing is it matches my floor! And my wardrobe! And my leg! Just kidding.

4 Likes

Just joined… Here is my 1st bass. Squier Jaguar SS. Got it with the Ampeg ba108 amp in the picture.

I hope to learn a lot here !

9 Likes

That is Punk AF. Love it

I see “the man from Mars”. Try to keep him from eating it.
Maybe it’s safe cuz it’s a Bass Guitar, does he eat those?

5 Likes

Just eats guitars for breakfast. Basses he won’t dare mess with! :wink:

5 Likes

Very cool!

1 Like

Love it!

1 Like

I wish I had my first bass, a Fender Precision from the 70’s in 1980. I never learned how to play a note on it. My father was very strict and my grades were not good.
Then I graduated, moved abroad… 40 years passed and now I’m doing it! So I guess my first second bass is this second hand Squier J-Bass. No problem. I love Nina.

13 Likes

1965 Epiphone Embassy (sorry no pic.)
1970 Epiphone ET-280 (Sorry fer the blurry pic.)
I still have these poor things.

As soon as I’m able, I gotta get upstairs. I miss all my toys :frowning:

9 Likes

2013 Ibanez GSR200. Bought it off of Kijiji in a set with a Fender Rumble 25 amp. Only then I did I read Josh’s “accolades” of this bass-like product. Fully deserved, I might add.

At any rate just over a week ago I sold it (kept the amp :D) and I bought a Donner DPB-510s P-bass knock off. Changed the strings to Rotosound DL66 swing bass stainless and it’s brilliant. Looks great too, got in in starburst with a white pick guard. Here she is before restringing.

8 Likes

Jackson JS2 Spectra, entry level bass that’s been great so far.
I’m not a photographer.

10 Likes

@GanglyCloth I’m not even a bass player :slight_smile: Sweet blue, though.

3 Likes

Its actually not a horrible bass for $199 retail. If you factor alot of the basses that Josh also did, I think it was by far the cheapest of the bunch, so you have to take that into consideration as well.
I had one as my first bass, and I did the whole B2B on it. I have since upgraded and have had a few different basses, kind of tried them full spectrum, different makes and configurations. I have settled on Stingray’s as my goto bass, but have others and like many.
That said, it is also not a bad swap to go P.bass.
Suprisingly,
with all the basses I have had, I have never had or played really, a P bass, or Jazz bass for that matter. Closest thing I have had to either was my GSR200 P/J configuration like the one you had.

I have been thinking alot lately about trading one of my Stingrays for a P bass, and/or possibly a J bass.

I saw a recent review about the Donner P-bass, and it said it was a pretty good bass for the money.

4 Likes

@T_dub

I found I just couldn’t adjust the settings to get a sound I liked. The neck pickup was boomy AF, the bridge pickup was tinny AF, and there was no middle. I always played with the pre-amp turned off. I fixed it a bit by adjusting the reverse p-bass PUP (moved it away from the AE strings, leaving it tilted somewhat up towards the A string and away from the E). However, I wanted a P-bass anyways, so I went Donner.

There’s three decent reviews on YouTube: Low End Lobster, Brock and some long-haired guy which seem to be genuine reviews. The rest seem to be sponsored. That said, Bully Thakidd did a live stream where he “surgeried” his with new PUPs.

3 Likes

Haha, but very cool bass!

2 Likes

that color is killer :+1:

5 Likes

Yeah love it too

5 Likes

Less than 30 people have shown me their first bass… but I know there are at least 300 more of you out there! What are you waiting for? I need bass!

Here is my first electric bass Yamaha BB300 Jazz Bass. Still have it. My father bought it for me at the age of 11 for my B-day. 1983 was the Year and I was in love! Also came with an Acoustic B300 amp. I dont have that any more. Blew it up. LOL.

8 Likes

Keep that thing forever because it’s a classic now. Those early BB’s were amazing basses.

I was going to ask about that in your original picture. My favorite bassist has been using BB1200S’s (same years as your bass) for 40 years now. He bought seven when they were discontinued :slight_smile:

4 Likes