Show us your Practice Space

That’s good then - I may keep prattling on about them :slight_smile:

Yeah, I really like the Deepmind - I’ve had it for about 6 years or so now. It’s the one synth where I can get a really good sort of horror/edgy vibe to it. I’d love to see what John Carpenter could do with it. And yes, Behringer are going mad at the minute aren’t they!

It’s the moog’s that normally take the show though. Because it’s all midi synched, including a drum pedal and all the synths, you can just wander around the room adding layers whenever you feel like it.

I have lost literal days doing this :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s a sweet deal, for everyone :+1:t3:

7 Likes

I’ve always loved how compact and efficient this setup looks. I am assembling a much simpler version of this over the holiday weekend. I’m excited to share the results.

In a nutshell - we finally remodeled the kids play room (with a corner carved out for bass practice) into a nice media and game room. And while she-who-must-be-obeyed agreed that a few basses hung on the wall looked nice - the entire practice setup was a tangle of cables and wires and was just messy. So inspired by your setup - and the photo below - I decided to make a “Rolling Bass Station” that would contain the entire practice setup. The concept was a package I could roll out of the unfinished half of the basement into the den, plug in a single power cord - and be up and running in just a minute.

Version 1.0 was based on this rolling desk:

Everything fit, but it was tight and a bit top heavy. I usually practice or play with headphones - so it only had to fit a tiny Roland Micro-Cube Amp, computer, 2 pedals, screen and small mixer (to have very fine control over blending Rocksmith and bass in my headphones). But the caster broke the second time I moved it, and I decided to go way more industrial.

Version 2.0 will be based on one of those ubiquitous, indestructible utility carts you see everywhere. Just arrived today.

I’ll post my progress photos sometime this weekend. Oh, and apart from the utility cart - every single part of the setup is craigslist, FB marketplace or eBay. After that den remodel - the pocketbook was a little light.

(Original inspiration before I found @Koldunya’s setup)

20 Likes

That’s a really neat set up @KenKnight

5 Likes

All those spaces make me jealous of my space yet I can always grow mine

6 Likes

Ok - It’s been a good holiday for bass!

Rolling Bass Station 2.0 is up and running.

In storage mode:

Rolling it out:

Cable management (mixer uses a USB-B - and I still need to get a longer cord so I can route it neatly):

And fully operational:

Pulled a small SSD from an old PC. Just enough space to run Windows and Steam/Rocksmith - so time from booting up to being ready to play is only about 30 seconds - and another 30 seconds to launch Rocksmith. Less if I just want to play along with YouTube.

I added an old single monitor mounting arm I had laying around just as a way to secure the monitor while I was pushing the cart - but unanticipated benefit is quickly adjustable height makes sit/stand options for playing really convenient.

Some other notes: The Boss TU-3 came with the first bass I bought used - and I’ve never really used it, but it works perfectly as a “splitter”. Bass goes to TU-3 which splits 1 Main Out) to Zoom B1 Four → Behringer Q1204USB mixer → headphones and 2 Bypass) to RealTone Cable → PC. Credit to Kent McNall for his video explaining how to use a mixer with Rocksmith.

The mixer is just running two inputs. Zoom and PC audio. That way I have super fine control over how much I can hear from PC and how much from my own bass. I can use the 75Hz cutoff to really damp bass from PC audio as well. When I’m working on a tricky section (usually using phrase repeater in Rocksmith) I can even pan my bass to one ear and backing track to other ear so I can really hear how bad I’m screwing it up! And yes, the 1204 is HUGE overkill - but found it on ebay about 50% retail and I really prefer slides to the knobs on all the smaller mixers - throwback to my early 90’s days on a pro soundboard as “Ken Knight at Night on 95 point 5, W I F C - the Hot FM”. And it’s probably upgrade proof - I’ll never need anything bigger/fancier.

Behringer has a built in DAI and when I tested it works with Audacity to record - but I haven’t really played with that yet. No other DAW at the moment anyway.

Right now the amp is just sitting there and 99% of the time I have phones on anyway. Trying to find a way to incorporate it - maybe someone who knows mixers better has a suggestion? Back of mixer has (1/4") “Alt 3 - 4 Output” - so maybe I route bass into 3, then “Alt-3 Out” to amp? Will that work?

Planned upgrades:

• 2 larger “square” hooks for instrument cord and headphones
  • longer USB-B cord as mentioned above
  • possibly adding two full extension drawer slides with wood shelf to create a pull-out keyboard tray (would put keyboard/mouse at more comfortable height, and clear off the cart’s top.
  • PreSonus Eris E3.5-3.5" Near Field Studio Monitors (pair). Not sure how I’ll mount them yet - but I think they’ll need to swing out so I can keep them safe during movement - but also swing out to get enough separation between them during use.
  • Rumble 100 is just the right size to replace Roland Micro-cube if I move Boss and Zoom in front of it.
  • Software : DAW - maybe Reaper or something similar, simple and user friendly. ToneLib Zoom to work with the B1 Four and ToneLib Jam to help me learn to read music using Rocksmith files
  • maybe a USB lighting strip so it glows like a UFO - because why the hell not?

And finally: Craigslist alert and ridiculously good deal forced me to get this last night:

First experience with P-bass or flatwounds. Wow! I’m a fan. I was SURE I was a J-bass guy, but this thing is great. With tone rolled off this is a Motown machine and rolled all they way on is sharp, edgy, in-your-face Mike Dirnt goodness.

Enjoy Memorial Day everyone!

24 Likes

Well I wasn’t very happy with my last rearrange or the space and after three months of living it I decided to rearrange again. I had a lot of unused space in the middle of the room where the door is, so, moved my desk to the middle so my chair takes up that dead zone vs prime real estate for playing / recording. Gives me more room not to bump headstocks into things and give me more width on the reading aka napping side near the vinyl.
Also puts my saxes back near my desk as opposed to the far side of the room where it was easy to ignore them.
I think I like it.

24 Likes

Looking good @John_E

6 Likes

Vary nice @John_E !

6 Likes

That rug really ……well you know the rest by now :grinning:

12 Likes

It does, indeed…Dude.

7 Likes

You guys are making me want to watch the movie for the umpeenth time lol.

11 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

On both sides of the room too….

5 Likes

Your room is like a wet dream :see_no_evil: It only lacks an e-drum set :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

Looks good @John_E , John,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

It lacks the room for it.
But, it lacks the room for an upright bass, which would come first if there was room.
I could ditch the keyboards for an upright I guess, don’t really use them much, but for now, nope.

6 Likes

Looking good @John_E, but I think you need more straps!

6 Likes

It ain’t nuthin’ but fine, fine, fine and I wish it was mine, @John_E.

5 Likes

I actually do need three more, lol.
Oh wait, four.

6 Likes