Show us your Practice Space

Wow, can you briefly describe what’s in there, how it is all connected, and how you use it for practice/jamming?

I am genuinely curious, as this may give me (potentially others) some ideas and some GAS fuel :wink:

7 Likes

Sure :slight_smile:

The furniture is an Output Sidecar in grey. The slide out shelf is optional. I need to remove the unused patchbay you can see in the 6U rack :eyes:

So, on the shelf, a Maschine+ - it handles drums, MIDI sequencing, sampler duties, and if I want I can do some synths from it, too. Maschine+ is the stand alone Maschine hardware. If I push it back I can put my OP-1 on the shelf, too, and in-fact in the OG Jam Station I had it set up like that, with the OP-1 going direct into my Zoom H6 I was using as a mixer/recorder.

The first synth up from there that you can’t synth much of due to the angle is a Minibrute 2S. Fully analog, knob/slider per function synthesizer with a 48 point patchbay which makes it a semi-modular design (ie, it is prewired internally, but patch points can be used to rewire it). It has its own powerful 4-track sequencer which can be configured to sequencer external modular gear, too. I can transpose the sequencer by sending it notes from the Maschine+ so I don’t have to faff w/ programming lengthy sequences if I don’t want to. Super helpful feature.

Arturia’s RackBrute 6U eurorack case is attached to that base. Officially “88hp” side I found I can fit 89 which isn’t much of a difference but I digress. Originally I had it stuffed with eurorack modules to form a fully modular synthesizer, but I’m happier using it to house synthesizers, which brings me to… I changed the power supply because nobody could tell me the power supply requirements for…

The top row of the RackBrute is my Behringer K-2, a clone of the famous Korg MS-20, a semi-modular analog synth from the late 70s. A lot of Behringer’s current desktop synth clones can be removed from their enclosures and mounted into a eurorack case. This one takes up 80hp. What annoys me is that Behringer kept it as Hz/Volt standard instead of the much more common V/Octave that eurorack uses. Oh well, there are ways and I mostly use it by itself anyway. Next to it is a Bastl Tromsø utility module that can be used as a sample and hold, oscillator, LFO, etc.

The bottom row is the Wasp Deluxe, another Behringer monosynth clone. 70hp on this one. It sounds gritty and raw, which I like., but can be smoothed out, too. Next to it are my Disting utility modules which can be use for a ton of things, one of which is a converter between those two pesky standards I mentioned before. I want to replace them with a Disting EX and Disting mk4 eventually, and an Ornament and Crime digital multi-module.

Which brings me to the top. Perched on top is my Modal Electronics SKULPT Virtual Analog (VA) 4-voice synthesizer. Good times, I got it from Kickstarter though now they are had for cheaper as the SKULPT SE, which in theory I could daisy chain to get 4 more voices if I wanted for another $200. Next to that is my Korg SQ-1 analog sequencer. It is set to Hz/V mode for use with the K-2. Like the SKULPT it is USB or battery powered.

Bottom time. Left is the BX-60 consumer-grade mixer from the 80s. I paid $8 for it :joy: It has no EQ, just input gain, volume, FX Send, and volume, for 6 channels; K-2, MB2S, Wasp, SKULPT, Maschine+ (stereo, 5/6). Originally it was up top to the right of the MB2S and had a guitar pedal off its fx send/return. I have yet to set that up. Originally I ran it to a FMR RNLA to add a little color which then went into my Zoom H6. The Zoom H6 aux out went to a Phil Jones BG-75 bass combo I used to monitor/listen to, and I could plug my bass into. The Boss BX mixers (and the previous KM iirc) were used by Detroit techno producers for their distortion/overdrive when the inputs get hammered, too.

Now the BX-60 outs go into a Harbinger LV8 mixer. This is a new addition and part of the “2.0 thing” lol. Nothing special, just goes into the stereo channel 3/4 of the mixer. 1 and 2 are mono channels w/ mic pres; I run my Exponent 500 bass head’s DI out into channel 2, SM57 into channel 1. I re-purposed my old Eris E8 monitors to come off the LV8, so now I have a proper PA/FRFR setup.

The LV8 has a 3.5mm stereo input for stereo channel 7/8 (which is also the bluetooth channel). I can plug my OP-1 into this, or I can plug in basically anything with a 3.5mm stereo output. I am the queen of seeking versatility! Stereo channel 5/6 is open for another synthesizer (like my beloved Elektron Model:Cycles, for example).

How do I use this for practicing. Yes. :rofl:

But seriously, it’s pretty simple. I can play a drum loop on the Maschine+ of course. Last night I was jamming a “darksynth” or “synthwavey” song/loop/sequence I was working on, and it was fun. Played rhythms and leads on top of it. The LV8 can pair with a phone, so I can also play music from the phone over the whole setup, and use those as backing tracks. I can plug in drum maschines to the 5/6 or 7/8 channels, and jam to those.

The Jam Station 2.0 sorta makes having a 1x12 cabinet superfluous for practicing. I may sell it, but I am likely to keep it in case of playing “smaller gigs” or for pairing with my 4x10, etc. It’s also a lot easier to take the 1x12 to a friends house than unhook a mixer and two monitor speakers (which may happen if I land a vocals spot in a band; I plan for the mixers and monitors to be my practice/rehearsal vocal setup, at least initially).

Anyway, Novel Mode:tm: off :rofl:

10 Likes

:scream_cat:
Wow… I am speechless.

5 Likes

badly mixed basic AF showing of the synth section in action (this was the old one with the bass combo and Zoom H6).

4 Likes

Oh, and @jacq the door on the right is where my headphones are stored:

I can slide the rack out and grab a set. And a little shelf of misc stuff kept out of the way above that.

6 Likes

That headphone rack. Is it a custom thing, can you buy it separately?

4 Likes

it’s part of the Output Sidecar. Output doesn’t sell it as its own thing. The Sidecar can be built with it on the left or the right.

5 Likes

Looks very impressive

5 Likes

Nice sounds @Koldunya ,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

So I take it the neighbours love you when you crank it up and rock out

4 Likes

Naw, no problems with neighbors since I have part of my house on either side of me before any exterior walls, and the house is on a corner lot, too :smiley:

Other people in the house, however… :eyes:

5 Likes

So a well set up music room
Awesome

6 Likes

My little corner of happiness :slightly_smiling_face:

18 Likes

Well, I do have a music room filled with amps, guitars, drums, etc., but this is where I play my bass. Looks like an advertisement for Yamaha. :rofl:

24 Likes

My oldest son and his wife and my grandson came to visit from Albuquerque. Greg and I got to jam for awhile (he’s playing my guitar that I have yet to learn how to play). Afterwards, I helped my Grandson Georgie play happy birthday to his dad on the piano.

34 Likes

Love it!

Nice to see you behind a bass @PamPurrs !

10 Likes

Glad you had a great visit with the kids!

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing Pam, looks like you had a blast,
Cheers Brian

9 Likes

Really great to see you wielding your bass again and looking well @PamPurrs

8 Likes

Turned half of my garage into a practice space :grinning:

24 Likes