Show us your straps!

It’s known in the state of cancer to cause California :rofl:

4 Likes

I have a Lekato bass strap off of Scamazon. It’s a pure grade A Chinesium import right from the Devil’s Den, but it’s actually quite good. The neoprene was stiff at first but it wore in a bit and now it’s very comfortable and works well with a fairly neck-divy bass. As a bonus, it comes with a bunch of picks and rubber strap retainer rings that work surprisingly well.

5 Likes

Glad you asked! I have made the leap into painting the stamped areas. No pictures of that yet (it’s currently a a long, boring process of getting several coats on those and the back/sides of the strap as well) I did however get a shot some time ago of the dye after the last coat was down. Going with black and red accents for this one.

Been a busy couple of weeks with work on my plate, but in all, I’d say I’m still on track to get it done by the time the Spector gets here in September…!

13 Likes

“This hanging guitar strap is safe in holding of your instrument use.” :thinking:

Yep . . . sounds like grade A Chinesium to me, @MC-Canadastan

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

You’re very talented, @chordsykat . . . :wink: . . . good for you.

I’m sure that this is going to turn out great . . . nothing like a custom designed, handmade, tooled leather strap!

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

I have a similar project on the back burner but do not plan to start it until the fall. Most people here probably do not realize how much work goes into a strap like this. I do so for a challenge I decided to use inverted carving on mine. That should take me through the winter months :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

I have three questions 1 - How wide is this strap, 2 - Are you going to pad it, and how if you are, and 3 -Have you ever tried inverted carving?

4 Likes

There’s only one type of carving worth talking about :slight_smile: Is it ski season yet? I can see the mountains from my house!

4 Likes

1 - 3 inches
2a - No, I’m not that dedicated on this one,haha. :smiley: But…
2b - I have done this similar to the lady in this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG-4CQoE2ME You’ll need fabric, padding, and an awl for this method. There’s also a link in the description if you’ve not hand-stitched or need a refresher course. Fun to watch her work.
3 - I don’t do a lot of carving except to add points of interest and depth around something I’d otherwise be painting, though I have employed these techniques to create a relief effect around the art. Turns out pretty cool when you go to look at a piece up-close.

Please! Keep us up to date on your own project, @Celticstar - Would love to watch (and learn from) you!

5 Likes

Thank you for the reply.

After watching that video, primarily for the padding instruction, I think I will initially try without the padding. My strap will be 4 - 4 1/2 inches wide.

I will post pictures as I go but will not be starting this project for a few months yet.

I love inverted carving but it takes a bit longer because I am always stopping and having to think about the beveling on some sections but the results are very striking compared to conventional carving.

5 Likes

Here’s the strap after red paint and an application of black dye-wash… Leading to…

The final paints! I will probably do a bit more touch-up work, but from here the only things left to do are another pass of thinner dye-wash and sealant :slight_smile:

21 Likes

whoa, coolness.

Your strap has been making me think about another hobby I have no time for…

6 Likes

Do it, man. Very fun to pass the time with on a lazy weekend (if you’re lucky enough to get those)!

4 Likes

Looks nice @chordsykat :+1:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Our local Bass Shop has these made by a local leather business. 3" padded leather. I love them and have them on all my basses now.

9 Likes

Sweet – extra-secure, too. Even without the button locks, a nice thick strap has that extra peace of mind (but getting them on the pegs is kinda like giving birth… in reverse…)

5 Likes

Whoa! Sonic Death Chicken! Extra points for those who get the High Fidelity reference.

3 Likes

LOL. Yep. I do put strap locks on but … gawd some swearing goes on too.

5 Likes

The strap looks fantastic @chordsykat !

3 Likes

I have a system now for strap locks and stubborn straps. I go in from the slot Vs the hole and wiggle, then take a very small flat screwdriver and poke the edges of the leather around the lock and wiggle and wiggle (for the Dunlop’s, I only use the shaft not the outer disc). Then I take it out and add the outer disk, wiggle it in and poke poke poke with the screwdriver, then start tucking in the poked/pliable leather down to where it needs to be.

5 Likes

I just cut the hole to make it bigger, and clamp it in my Schallers. Takes seconds and slips right on and makes zero difference.

I love Schaller locks.

6 Likes