Signal chains and sound shaping (again?)

Actually now that I look closely,this article doesn’t actually address the question. Sowwy

4 Likes

No problem :smile:

Thanks for the share - that knowledge might come in handy later!

3 Likes

not at all the same topic but still interesting, maybe worth a share on the pedal thread ?

3 Likes

Yes, thanks @PamPurrs, I just had a read, and, being that I am experimenting with pedalboard set up, and power supplies, it’s a great reference. I actually returned the first power supply I bought, and just got a new one. I bought the first one based on price and number of ports, w/o taking into consideration the amps e@ch 9v supplied. The one I ended up with has only 300 ma per 9v port with selectable 9/12/15 500ma and 9/12/12/18 300ma ports… I had trouble turning on my B1four with the old power supply because of the amps, and had only one 9v port with 300ma and one 9v port with 500ma
Anyway, I think that’s what the deal with the Zoom pedal was, cuz I somewhat blindly changed the port ant it went on. But I started looking at options further and decided I needed an upgrade in power supplies, and made the switch.

Anyway, that link is very helpful​:+1:t2::facepunch:

2 Likes

I’m with you @Jazzbass19,
I have NFI what they are talking about?
I don’t even own any effects or pedals or amps with built in effect etc.
I would love to delv into that area but I wouldn’t even know where to start.
Maybe the good people on the forum can offer up some examples and what they do, this could help or lead to further addiction?
I have a drum machine I bought about 10 years ago or more and it’s sitting in a box :thinking::thinking:
OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS
Cheers

4 Likes

Here you go :slight_smile:

Lots of examples and advice and discussion in there :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks @howard,
Will check it out when I get home tonight
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Me neither, @TNKA36 . . . :slight_smile: . . . my own signal chain is:

Bass ------> In-line Tuner ------> Amplifier ------> Electrical Outlet

Cheers and good luck in your search,

Joe

3 Likes

I sure hope your electrical outlet is not in your signal chain! But if it is, maybe it’s a good idea to preemptively warn the local fire brigade?
:laughing:

5 Likes

a nice drone sound for sure :grin:

5 Likes

Yes, but for a fleetingly brief moment.

But then again, there’s nothing like the smell of freshly fried electronics.

5 Likes

Hi @Jazzbass19
Hi Joe, I plug into my amp and play, what am I missing out on.???
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Ah, I thought I had heard some “My generation” coming out of my socket the other day :grin:

Ouch, @Jazzbass19 - just teasing you :wink:

6 Likes

@TNKA36

Included the electrical outlet because that’s what the amp is plugged into :slight_smile: lol

Still working on “My Generation” and “Another Tricky Day”, though @joergkutter

Cheers, Joe :wink:

4 Likes

@Jazzbass19 K.I.S.S. Yup I like simple. It’s running the Zoom but when I take Out JJ P-BASS set to James Jamerson specs, even the bridge ashtray with foam. It has a certain sound. Not that I can do it justice yet :slightly_smiling_face: the tone is something else. I suppose a DI should be there though? So the chain for JJ is bass tuner amp (bare assed amp). For the other bass, PJ, P and the HH it’s bass, tuner, Zoom B1 4, compressor, amp. The active bass I’ll play around with finding out all the variables b4 trying it in a chain. Except the tuner. Joe if you get a chance try a compressor, mine was just a £20/$25 one but it can sure hide some sloppy fingering :rofl: I’m not using it on lessons though. Jamie
:guitar: :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:

4 Likes

I think you should get a compressor only when you know why you need one :grin: otherwise it can be pretty disapointing because it’s an effect that doesn’t really change the tone, and even is often barely noticeable. it can be pretty strange at first.

4 Likes

@terb I’ve so much to learn, your advice is always good. Trying not to jump ahead of myself with new gear. :slight_smile:
:guitar: :slight_smile: :guitar:

3 Likes

I’m wondering if this “Signal Chain” question applies to the effects chain in the Zoom effects processors such as the B1 Four and B3n. If it does, I’d be very interested to hear from the gurus as to how they line up their effects in those devices in stomp mode.

2 Likes

yes the effects order apply as well with digital simulations, that’s the same thing than with analog pedals

4 Likes

Thank you @terb. Now I am interested in this thread :eyes: :ear: :guitar: :musical_note:

4 Likes