Simplest way to record audio/video?

That Joyo MoMix is interesting. But generally, the school brings some equipment and then that gets integrated into the equipment of the venue. We don’t really go into the details at the show about how this all goes from our instruments to the audience. And each venue has a different setup/sound guy that has their own way of doing things. But it did seem straightforward enough to ask the sound guy if we could plug into the output of their mixer…The MoMix seems more like a good little tool for setting up a mobile studio?

1 Like

Bummer. Though they do send me emails every now and then about starting a franchise! Though it’s tough work. Dealing with the teachers and the parents and the turnover…it ain’t easy. Sometimes I feel it’s expensive but then having a place to go practice, and a set of people that show up pretty regularly (for the most part) and some teachers leading it (instead of trying to herd the cats ourselves) and there’s a lot of value they are adding. Seems like they lost a graphic designer, cause the posters they made years ago were more complex than what we get now…but overall, I’m still happy with the outcome.

1 Like

Well if that’s the case try this. I bought this because it was on sale and come to find out how useful it is. It’s by far the best and most flexible camera for audio. The XY mics are pretty great already but you can also plug in 2 mic as well as using the xy mic to pickup the room/ambient sound in post. There are many accessories including the ability to turn this into a 4 xlr input camera. 4 track recording 4k camera.

It’s Has a wide angle lens that can be crop but the wide angle can be put pretty close to the action just mount it on the mic stand. The students can each record their own video and sync the audio from this in post. Check out the review on YouTube.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Q8n-4KBn1--zoom-q8n-4k-ultra-high-definition-handy-video-recorder-bundle

1 Like

@Fahri is the person to get information from about this. He has done a lot of mobile recording. Maybe he’ll chime in here.

1 Like

Thanks for the vote of confidence @eric.kiser :heart:

Honestly I think the smartphone is indeed good enough for a quick video shoot to send it to your instructor Especially for the practicallity of it when sharing it on whatsapp telegram ecc

However the sound will be heavily compressed and loose a lot of low end.

My go to device recently is Zoom Q2n-4K if there’s enough lighting. Especially Since I am recording acoustic instruments a lot. I can also connect this to my android phone as a web cam (or just audio input) and record videos on my phone.

@chris6 if you’re considering to take a step for better audio recording while still using your phone I can suggest this device

https://www.roland.com/global/products/gomixer_pro/specifications/

It’s super compact and has a ton of features for home recording like that.

2 Likes

Thanks, @fahri. The Zoom Q2n-4k seems like it’s in the right ballpark, except that it’s got it’s whole mess of other gear that’s needed to maintain (battery, charger, memory…). So that’s why I was leaning towards just using a phone camera and an extra mic to improve things. Guess it’s something around - is the audio of the IQ7 or Shure MV88 worse than the Q2n-4k’s audio? And significantly better than the iPhones? Or is it all placebo…and I should be practicing my bass instead of scouring the web for microphones…

1 Like

Significantly better than iPhones I can guarantee that if you are recording a low frequency instrument.

I was talking about Q2n-4K because I already have that and for home recording you use what you have :rofl:

I would search for bass videos to see how MV88 and IQ7 perform but in many cases bass is recorded with a line connection so if you are getting your first gadget I would go for a USB type mixer like I said before.

I also had a short experience with Yamaha Ag-03. That thing worked fantastic as well.

It’s a rabbit hole…

This is what I use with my projects these days.

Zoom livetrak L8

2 Likes

Thanks. I am looking to record our School of Rock performances - so video and audio - like your Q2n-4k instead of a mixer (but that starts a 2nd rabbit hole for home setup with my wife and our friend also joining the School of Rock this season…). And just was wondering about Q2n-4k vs a phone with the upgraded mics.

1 Like

I must warn you that Q2n-4K has some limitations on video quality. Especially for low light.

I love this stuff do tell me more! What kind of instruments are they playing?

My other really cool setup is smartphone/tablet and Zoom H5 which has really good condenser mics integrated and 2 XLR inputs. It can record on its memory card or it can be connected to your phone as an audio interface.

If you can find a well kept second hand one it is a better bargain than any of the add on smartphone mics. It has 2xAA batteries and also can be powered by USB

2 Likes

Well, we got an electric drum kit, keyboard, and bass. And would use something like Moises on an iPad to pull out those parts of a song, so we can practice with the vocals and guitar parts. For the drum kit, we got a drum amp, which I think is like a PA speaker, and has 3 inputs, so I think I can go directly into it with the keyboard and bass and aux input from the iPad to get everything out of it. But a mixer seems like the right way to do it, versus the poor man’s way of using the different volumes on the drum amp (Simmons 2112 or something like that). These are just my ideas for how to make home practice more practical…but I still need to get folks to show up for practice.

1 Like

@Fahri The Roland Go Audio Pro seems to act as an adio interface but I cant find any audio interface specs.

Is it because it’s not intended as a general purpose audio interface, like a Focus Rite, but is built specifically for this purpose?

1 Like

As an audio interface I don’t think it would be at focusrite level (it’s odd that they don’t declare input sensitivity, noise floor, gain… etc) however most audio interfaces won’t work without a host (PC or smartphone)

This one is big on mobility. Here I found a great guide/review

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll check it out.

From what I’ve read so far, it sounds like a great solution for keeping things simple and being able to capture all that @cbaray was talking about.

1 Like

This is another nice option for quick recordings using an iOS device: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iRig2--ik-multimedia-irig-2-guitar-interface-for-ios-and-mac

However, you might need an adapter if your phone does not have the headphone jack anymore…

1 Like

This removes so many of the hoops you have to jump through for making a cover video. I kind of wish i had gotten this insread of a regular audio interface.

1 Like

Yep. One that allows you to sync up with their camera app. Which works with other brand. I’m a big Roland fan so naturally I buy their products first.

It such a light weight device that you need to connect many heavy cables to and sooner or later the weakest micro USB port give up its connectivity. I had a very difficult time getting this repair through Roland.

I bought the joyo momix and discover that it does exactly the same thing with the exception or the usb type c. It’s very easy to use and get height quality video from your iphone. If you don’t like to sync the video to audio in post this is a great solution.

1 Like

@Al1885 Can you use monitor 1 for one set of headphones and monitor 2 for a second set? From the drawing, I’m guessing that won’t work but figured I would ask.

1 Like

I think so yes. I’m using one for phone and another to the cabinet. It does require a couple of 3.5mm to 1/4” adapter for this but I have them laying around somewhere so I made it work.

I put the Ashdown TonePocket to chain of the bass signal and it sounds great. Just add iphone and the Roland camera app and you are good to go.

3 Likes

Inspired by this thread I ordered a Joyo Momix which arrived yesterday.

I unboxed it and connected a bass, headphones, a cellphone (Google Pixel 5), and a tablet (for playing backing tracks).

When I connected the phone I got a green led light on the Momix and I could hear the bass and backing track in the headphones. So far, so good.

I opened the camera app on the phone, selected Video, and got a message, “wired mic attached.” I selected this, hit Record, started the backing track, started playing, and in less time than it took me to type this I was recording a video of myself playing to a backing track.

After recording, I exported the file to a Dropbox folder where I could access it from my computer for editing, etc.

Wow! :joy:

This was so much simpler than what I went through (DAI, DAW, yada yada) just to record audio.

Thanks, @Al1885 and everyone else!

6 Likes

@spidey9 Thanks for posting this. I knew there had to be an easier way. Between you and @Al1885, I’m sold on this being what i need to do.

I’m a little sad about the MOTU. It sounds great but it’s not getting used. Looks like it’s going on the pile of stuff to get rid of.

2 Likes