Simplest way to record audio/video?

@spidey9 I’m glad I could help.

@eric.kiser its a quick and effective way to record. I can do the recording in many ways the zoom q8n 4k can really offer a great video if I would add a second camera and do a little magic in sync.

That said the “economy of effort” would bring me to the MoMix most of the time, lol.

1 Like

Economy of effort is exactly the issue I’m having. I know there are lots of people here that enjoy the mixing, video editing, and other computer related details of making videos but I don’t enjoy that aspect at all.

I spent enough years working in IT that I don’t ever want to use a computer again. I can and I do, when it’s neccessary. I just don’t want using a computer to be any bigger than it absolutely has to be.

For me, it’s stealing time away from playing and doing other things. I’m so glad you decided to start talking about the Roland and the Joyo.

3 Likes

Micro USB is really meh. I prefer USB-C and USB-B. B is really sturdy and C is more convenient. Other side is usually an A type.

2 Likes

I agree. I tend to favor products that do things for me instead of learning how to use it. That’s why I’m an Apple guy, it just usually works and fast. I don’t care about spec too much as it’s not really relating to speed on a normal use. Back in the day I once bought a top spec Alienware think it should be 2x the speed, far from it.

Back to the portable mix, both are awesome, but from experience the MoMix should last longer. Since you can use Roland camera app it’s a bonus.

1 Like

Anyone have experience with this one for recording with phone?
The joyo Momix is hard to find around here or at the least will cost a lot of shipping and customs fees.

1 Like

That’s a DI, not an audio interface. That’s for sending a balanced line to a mixer or other audio gear.

1 Like

Been looking for an audio interface but either search feature doesn’t recognize it or they don’t have it.
I’ll keep looking cause recording now just sucks.

A friend filmed Amazing Grace last week and it was hardly hearable. Enhancing sound on my video editor software usually works but it’s not the greatest way to go about it.

1 Like

Are you searching for a DAI ?

1 Like

Do people still do this? :joy:

Yeah, with the phone because the mic on my digital photo camera is even worse.

Am searching for something like the Joyo Momix mentioned :arrow_up: that’s more easier to get within the EU that would make the recording that I sometimes do with the phone sound a bit better.

1 Like

Sorry. I meant are you using “DAI” as your search term. You stated you weren’t sure if you are using the right search terms as little is coming up. What you want to search for is “DAI”

2 Likes

Or just “audio interface”, yeah.

2 Likes

I just bought a mic so for me the simplest way to record is with either my tablet or smartphone with mic the hooked up.

I made a quick soundcheck video with my tablet and the mic and it sounded pretty good (for a soundcheck where I wasn’t really paying attention to how I was playing but more interested on how the bass was recorded).

This is the mic I use in case anyone’s interested:

1 Like

It is sadly a part of the progress. That is why I try to buy my gear second hand as much as I can so that it does not hurt that much if it ends up being unused. I sold my MOTU M2 at a big disadvantage as well. Added to the list of things I bought new and sold at a great loss:

Focusrite Scarlet Solo
Cort A4 Artisan
Fender Vintera Precision (Traded for Electric DB and then sold that one too)
Markbass CMD 121P (Traded for my Acoustic DB)
Zoom H8 (I still have the EXH-8 which is useless now)

I don’t even want to calculate the damage here :man_facepalming:

On the other hand MOTU M2 is still great as an external sound card and still can provide a lot of mobility with USB-C. It is great that you can set the two outputs for separate mixes and than have the headphone jack for the mix. If you haven’t yet I suggest you to take a look at the trial for “Audio Evolution Mobile” I have it both on android and iPad (Audio only of course) . Motu M2 also works fine with the video apps from Roland and Shure Motiv.

These compact recording gadgets have naturally boomed after the COVID19 when everyone wanted to record and share without the hustle. The stuff from before 2020 did not simply have this level of connectivity so if this is what you think you need today just go for it!

Neither my phone or my ipad has a headphone jack so I might even get my hands on something like this (if I find it with a reduced price)

1 Like

I hadn’t even considered this. Thanks Fahri!