Simplifying the bass education minefield

I watched a bunch of his videos and did a bunch of following along to learn the ‘licks’ etc he was teaching. I had realized along the way he was simplifying the licks down which for some is good but for me just feels like bad habits.

He’s a fast talker too ala SBL Scott and I couldn’t bring myself to take any actual courses from him.

Sadly, +1 on the eyebrows too @chris6

4 Likes

@chris6

At first, I thought they were caterpillars myself. :joy:

Blues is also my greatest love.
Interesting he never got back to you.

I took Josh’s course when it came out in 2017 (wow! has it been that long ago?) Thanks to Josh’s most excellent course, I am still playing bass; otherwise, I would have given up a long time ago. Anyway, I also collected bass courses which were too difficult for my skill level. I did go through all three levels of the Hal Leonard program which was useful for me. I bought Ariane Cap’s Music Theory for the Bass book 3 years ago and could never get through it. Then, this year I signed up for her 2021 Cohort which I now wish I had done 3 years ago. It is awesome! Exactly the way to go from beginner to intermediate. In fact, if I had done so earlier, I wouldn’t have to be unlearning bad habits. She has been running these cohorts one per year beginning in January of each year, but she just announced a new cohort beginning in June 2021. Her instructional design is of the highest quality and I could not recommend her course more highly. https://arisbassblog.com/

2 Likes

I totally agree about SBL!

I had a paid SBL and purchased a few courses in my area of special interest, but still found them too advanced coming directly out of Josh’s course. I recommend Ariane Cap’s Music Theory for the Bass Cohort as the follow on to Josh. Then, maybe, one may be ready for the more advanced stuff on SBL. I agree with another of the posters here, that SBL’s videos are far too much chatter for a little content - really tries my patience.

1 Like

My husband plays guitar and has yet to find anything equivalent to Josh or Ari Cap’s Cohort. If you can recommend something, it would be welcome.

2 Likes

I played guitar for awhile and took some courses. What sort of thing is he looking to learn?

1 Like

He is looking for an intermediate level guided course (with feedback if at all possible) that applies music theory to the guitar. He is also interested in learning how to improvise.

3 Likes

For music theory, I didn’t take any for guitar, but I took some of Justin’s courses and like them. He does a music theory one, so I’m betting it’s pretty good.

I also enjoyed an acoustic course by Tony Polecastro, but this is just fingerstyle acoustic guitar, not music theory. It’s the closest in feel that I had to Josh’s BassBuzz course though.

https://www.tonypolecastro.com/

I’ve heard Ari and others speak highly of the Berklee programs, but they are pretty pricey. I have a feeling these are more aimed at college students and not as friendly, but I’m not sure. Here’s the link for those in any case:

I bet others will have suggestions too. If it was me, I’d do the Justin Guitar one first as it is relatively inexpensive.

2 Likes

Thanks so much, JT! I will pass that along.

2 Likes

@JT

Agreed. Justin Guitar is a very good site. The majority is free.

If the Blues is of interest you should take a look at Blues Guitar Unleashed courses with Griff Hamlin. I just wish he had something Bass related.

I have taken over 90% of his courses over the years and like Josh his playing and teaching methodology is very good and ranges from beginner to what I would say is mid intermediate.

Here is a link - https://bluesguitarunleashed.com

2 Likes

+1 for Justin, good teacher.

3 Likes

@denise

I mentioned Blues Guitar Unleashed in another post on this thread but thought I should mention that as far as theory is concerned I found the Guitar Theory Made Useful course very informative and presented in a very understandable manner.

Here is a direct link to that course - https://guitartheorymadeuseful.com/

3 Likes

I can talk to the Berklee courses if anyone wants more info, as state above, I am going through there right now. I just finished Basic Ear training, was a challenging, but rewarding course. I am supplementing that with Mark’s ear training for bass and also listening to Ari’s YT series as well.

2 Likes

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the Berklee course. Specifically, if you think it’s worth what it cost.

1 Like

I would say it is. You are getting access to the same teachers that also instruct at Berklee proper. My last teacher, Roberta Radley, wrote one of the best beginning ear training books out there (I will say the book on it’s own can be challenging without having access to the author like I did). Danny 'DannyMo" Morris is teaching my next class on R&B bass. All of these professors have played professionally with well known acts. To be fair, I have gotten top notch instruction from Josh’s course and Mark’s as well. It’s the ability to have live classes with real time feedback that is an added bonus. Anthony Vitti, my Rock bass teacher, would do video recordings of our weekly homework and would provide feedback while listening. It was wonderful getting that kind of directed suggestions that really make a difference. If you were going to start the ear training type cert, I would take Basic Ear Training, but with your background @JT, you may be okay with Ear Training 1.

3 Likes

Thank you!

After Bass Buzz I went to Study Bass with Andrew Pouska for about 2 months. He has 3 Lesson Tracks. Josh introduces a lot of musical theory concepts, but Andrew will take you 1 or 2 steps deeper on these music.
concepts. I went through 2 of the Study Bass Lesson tracks, now understand WHY we played what Josh taught us. I’ve spent the last 3 months honing fretting, finger & YES Picking technique and applying these musical concepts.

What I mean by applying the musical concepts…take a backing track off YouTube or song, listening to them and concurrently developing summary sheets determining tempo, key, Song Structure, chord progression of song/backing track, clap the rhythms used in the song …then using Musescore (free) to to compose bass lines using the tools Josh introduced and with the understanding of music theory I got from Study Bass (basically free, but a donation is very much appreciated).
After completing Josh’s course in December …to date I have written 10 bass covers for Grateful Dead tunes…and now Jam GD with a Lead Guitarist on JamKazam every other week…adding one new song between sessions.

If can read music, you can quickly write music…now when I see a Tab…I recognized the triad, arpeggio it represents, rewrite the song in musical form (notes and rhythm) and practice to my song sheet… not blindly and without any understanding to a Tab! Composing your own bass lines is easier than you can imagine…start with Whole note chords for each measure, add 1/2 notes the fifth or octave…as you develop the rhythm or us 1/4 notes…you room for more notes…listen maybe the 3rd, 6th or the 7th or octave is appropriate…look for places to add chromatics to transition between chords…or play the root and for the remaining notes of the measure find a pathway of chromatics or a scale to the next chord…now you have walking bass lines.
Online lessons are great to watch and get ideas…but learn the theory of harmonization… Study Bass is a great place to learn it. Listening, dissecting the songs, writing the songs, practicing the songs, rewriting them…you will learn the fretboard, you will learn to read music… you will play music (you own)…and you will develop technique. You’ll be amazed at what you can teach yourself

9 Likes

Update…As a springboard from Bass Buzz…Tom Bornemann from Berlin has the most creative technique drills …each one emphasizes 2 or more of the following rhythm, theory, technique, fretboard, and or style. He is by no means flashy…Just be prepared to push yourself a bit with his drills…some definitely take 3 or 4 tries to get to even 80% tempo. He has YouTube channel and patreon site. Check him out…Guten Abend

I am working thru Bassfreedom.com and only has a few course to start but looks like he is adding more. he has a good personality. I am working concurrently thru Talkingbass (Walking bass + Chord Tones + Slap courses), but I just need to hear anyone’s voice but marks for a bit lol.

1 Like