Sixers unite!

Sorry - no basketball here :grin:

It is about time the six-stringers get a thread going! To start off with, let’s get an overview of who in here owns a six, maybe even plays one (haha), what type it is, what you like about it, what you don’t like about it, what you are currently doing with it, and what you hope to do with it in the future!

I can kick it off:

I own a Harley Benton BZ6000NT (“affordable” at around 350 Euro), weighs a metric ton, has an 18 V preamp that packs a punch, plays super-nice, some of the hardware (tuners, pots, …) could be upgraded at some point, but no biggie… Tuned B-E-A-D-G-C, with 17 mm string spacing at the bridge, around 10 mm at the nut.

I currently mainly “noodle” on it - trying to get a feel for the six strings and playing some scales and arpeggios over a wider range.

What I want to use it for: learning to play chords on a bass and learning to play melodies and solos making use of the extended upper range.

More long term: because of the range on this bass, this could be a good instrument to have some looping fun.

Any other sixers out there??

12 Likes

I have a guitar and an octave pedal. Does that count?

6 Likes

Thats a beautiful looking bass. the shape looks like the Marcus Miller basses, but the wood grain and tones, looks a bit like my ESP LTD B-4E, but it doesn’t count here, it would have to be a B-6E :wink:

That fretboard looks like you could play American Football on it. its a monster!

3 Likes

Erm… no - but, thanks for playing :wink:

4 Likes

I know, which is why I like - at the looks of - your B-4E :smile:

Yep… and, above all, a muting challenge!

3 Likes

I can only imagine, especially whento slap B and E strings.
Can you use the heel of the palm of your hand to mute the two low string when needed?
Thats how I mute my E string when slapping a lot

2 Likes

Haha, yes, well, I am not much into slapping (yet) and certainly wouldn’t learn it or practice it on a 6-string.

And, palm muting is also still on my “need-to-grasp/learn” list (which, oddly, seems to be growing longer rather than shorter) :grin:

6 Likes

Its actually pretty easy, because it is kind of a natural rest. I think I learned it by doing it, then noticing it actually.

1 Like

I have this same problem. Lately it has felt like I’ve been spending more time learning what I don’t know rather than feeling like I’m making headway.

Oh and… You’re a beast Joerg.

2 Likes

Haha, yeah, well, thanks, I guess, Eric :wink: This whole 6-string thing was more a “looks-cool-and-I-am-frustrated-with-corona-and-why-not-get-an-affordable-HarleyBenton-no-harm-done-right?” kind of decision making :grin:

Still, am I really the only one in here with a six-string bass??

2 Likes

Yeah, some day I would like to get one, but I have 2 five strings I don’t play because I committed to the 4 string until I have the fretboard under control.
I know you can do it on a 5 or 6 string just fine, but that was the choice I made.

I was about 20 minutes late on having another 5 string the other day because somebody posted a “can not pass this offer up” on Let Go.
Brand new with gig bag, Sterling Stingray Ray5 - $200.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depends how you look at it, somebody was on the way to pick it up when I saw the add.
And the add was only posted 2 hours before I saw it.
That went quick.

1 Like

I hear you… for most of us (or probably almost all) in here, dealing with a 4-string is plenty…

Sometimes I rationalize that practicing on a 5- or 6-string makes it feel so much easier when you go back to the 4-string :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

might try that to see if it helps

1 Like

no six for me. buuutttttt if i did…

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Here is the bass I am hoping to buy next month. I played one the other day and really loved it
https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/srsc806_1p_02.html

5 Likes

Stunning! I bet it plays like a dream, too :smile:

3 Likes

I really liked it. I have been playing around with various 6 strings and I kept coming back to this bass so after Christmas I will break down and make the investment.

4 Likes

I think I may have mentioned this to @joergkutter when he started this wonderful thread, I hope to try the 6 string someday. I think a move from my 5 string to 6 string would be lovely. My next axe could very well be a 6 string, but there’s no saying when that might be.

5 Likes

That would be awesome, @PamPurrs!

To be honest (and I also mentioned it to @LesterH): it is unlikely to ever become my main instrument, but it is instructional, challenging, and a lot of fun! And I got the very affordable, but very playable Harley-Benton 6’er - almost a no-brainer :grin:

Lester’s Ibanez is a much nicer instrument all in all… and also likely more re-sell-able than mine :wink:

4 Likes

All instruments hold a special place in the person who owns them cheap or expensive it doesn’t matter as long as you like it.

4 Likes