Sixers unite!

I shared a little piece of what I am working on in the other thread we were talking in for you.

2 Likes

Now this is some expert “noodling” on a sixer :kissing:

Moto Fukushima makes beautiful music with, among others, House of Waters!

3 Likes

When I think 6-string I think of Boh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ufy1fbUECM

3 Likes

Yeah, he knows his stuff alright :grin:

With that make-up, I really wouldn’t want him to sneak up on me going “boh” though :wink:

5 Likes

Hahaha. I wonder if he does that. I would!

4 Likes

Alright, you all got me drooling a little over Ibanezs with more than 4 strings now - that 6 stringer @LesterH posted looks so sleek with its neck, and that other 5 stringer that @joergkutter posted the other day, I bet those are just beautiful to play. I think I want to at least try a 6 string at some point, before making any judgment one way or the other. I really want it to be an Ibanez. I just picture being able to stay on one area of the fretboard and having the fingers dance more vertically rather than horizontally - is this what you guys have found with 6 stringers? I mean, when I watch the pros play, they’re all over the place fretboard-wise, but, what about regular folks just starting out?

4 Likes

@Vik I enjoy the versatility of having the extended range of a 6 string bass. I think many people like using them for the purpose you stated I enjoy them for chording and phrasing. I also enjoy the extended range for creating different voices all over the neck. Once you learn the neck of a bass it will become very familiar and less scary. I always loved the way some bassist were able to create on a six string as opposed to a four or five string.

4 Likes

I have to admit I pretty much play it like a four-string bass and occasionally venture north and south of the usual strings. In a way, it is a good training to stay focused on where to play (i.e., not getting confused by the extra strings) and also to get more familiar with the fretboard. As the bass is my first string instrument, the latter is still an important exercise for me.

Beyond that, as mentioned before, it comes into play for learning chordal playing and soloing.

3 Likes

What is the tuning of the 6 string… BEADGC?

3 Likes

Yep :smile:

3 Likes

That’s cool. There are many times when I’m doing walking bass lines and I get up to the G string and wish there was another string above it.
I love playing on a 5 string, and use those extra low tones on the B string often. I would love to be able to walk from the B string up to a C string.
I can see it working well for chords as well.
I think I would adapt well to a 6!

5 Likes

Hehe… seed planted :laughing:

4 Likes

I will patiently await Yamaha’s release of the BB736 in stealth black :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

@joergkutter I guess it’s just us! Admittedly my four is primary, but most of my practice and noodling these days is on the 6. Ibanez SDGR SR506.

Nice bass! The neck is huge. I like that Harley Benton, are they as good as people say (for the price)?

3 Likes

I think there are a few, @kerushlow; most notably @LesterH who just recently got an Ibanez 6-string!

I can’t claim to play a lot on the 6-string, but I want to have the option… and the HB is indeed amazingly good for the price. Yes, scratchy pots and less than smoothly working tuners, but the setup was great, and the pre-amp is packing a punch… and the bass plays nicely. Heavy though… very heavy :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

The 6 string is about all I have been working with over the past couple of weeks. In my opinion the only way to become completely comfortable with it is to play it a lot

3 Likes

I just posted a sample of what I am practicing or working on with the 6 string bass The original songs and compositions Laboratory - #121 by LesterH

3 Likes

Good playing man. Jazz band phrases are my biggest weakness

4 Likes

@kerushlow thank you they are challenging for sure one day it will all come together

3 Likes

I suppose practicing it would help lol. I lean more towards rock, funk and Prog…as far as my playing style. I do have a few jazzier things that slip in sometimes, I think from some of the listening I do it just sneaks in subconsciously. I have tremendous respect for the Jazz skill set for any musician, it is the peak of technicality and skill

4 Likes