Sixers unite!

@kerushlow there is nothing wrong with that.

3 Likes

I just started to get into the 6 string world.

For right now it’s tuned b to c. I may experiment later.

I’m also in the process of putting together a 34" scale 6 string baritone guitar. Tuned E to E . :smiley_cat:

5 Likes

That sounds real glorious. Please keep us updated.

2 Likes

I played one at a guitar center once…it was so weird. I do play a bit of guitar, and do the chords from guitar translate…but were so beefy…it didn’t quite work, but also wasn’t as bad as a similar chord on the bass with the lower strings in use. I guess modified chords would work and definitely solos!

3 Likes

Will do. :grinning:

2 Likes

I’ve been working on it for quite a while but I’m unable to get to my shop to get to it and all the parts and goodies for it are upstairs in my self proclaimed studio, alas at this time I can’t get to it either. :poop:

3 Likes

(Cort Action PJ sitting next to Thomson T6)

Yo fellow Sixers! I hope this thread is still alive. :smiley:

So I’ve started learning bass last March 2023 and started playing in our church maybe after a month or two. I’m amazed how people play with 6 strings and be able to do things outside the low end. So this year, January 3, I got my own 6 strings (a very cheap one I guess it’s from China which is distributed here in the Philippines). Everything sounds well and is playable. I love the the active preamp. Their website didn’t have much details of the specs but here it is. https://www.thomson.ph/copy-of-ibb. I’m not sure what IBB means but it says it’s a copy of that.

Not much of a challenge in remembering that I now have that B string so I got to play it in the church last Sunday January 14. Everything went well!

Now, I’d like to know, what’s the best way to learn this beast? I know it’s almost the same as playing my 4 string with extra notes on it. But is there a better practice or technique to maximize it? My goal is to be able to do chords and do some parts of the guitar/lead on it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not to piss off our guitarist but we don’t have a lead player and the guitarist only plays the chords (they don’t even know what dominant chords etc is). Everyone is pretty much a beginner. After all, all I want is to serve the song and help the congregation with the worship, the best I can.

1 Like

Welcome!

I might have started this thread a while back, but have to admit that I since kicked the habit (playing a six string) :wink:

I am not sure how many (serious) 6-string players we have at the moment, but your post could perhaps indeed revive this thread and bring the players out of hiding. (I am pretty sure @Al1885 owns at least a 6-string :grin:).

4 Likes

Yeah this is one of it.

2 Likes

A multiscale 6 string beast?!! How does it play?

2 Likes

Surprisingly well, being 6er I respect the instrument and was careful when playing so there weren’t a lot of miss notes unlike going from 4 to 5 string. :joy:

That said the playing the first fret can be painful at times. Some would say that it’s the inherited trait of a multiscale but my custom short scale multi scale you see on the left has no problem giving me all kinds of comfort when I put my index finger over the nut.

2 Likes

Do Bass VIs count?
Maybe we need a separate thread?

So I got a question with fretting over 12th fret using one finger per fret method. Is it really supposed to be difficult? It feels like my thumb is on the way and I can’t get anything fretted properly. I’m trying to do the major scale over the entire E string and can’t get anything good after the 12th fret.

I am not completely sure I understand what exactly the challenge is, but I can guess to a few possible sources:

• depending on how deep the cut-out on your bass is (and how big your hands are) it gets harder and harder to reach the final frets of the fingerboard
  • yes, your thumb may come up, either to the side of the fingerboard or even higher, in order to let your fingers reach those final frets
  • if you are talking about fretting on the highest frets on the E string, this is certainly and added challenge, alone because of the larger width of a fingerboard on a 6-string bass, and thus an even longer stretch. It might not be the best approach to play something high up on the E string - intonation might start to become an issue, and you might not like the tone. Playing the same on the A string instead might be a “better” alternative…
1 Like