The original songs and compositions Laboratory

Sounds like another movie score @gcancella👍
Intriguing :sunglasses:, like the direction it’s heading into​:+1:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Is that a plug-in for Reaper?? Do you punch them in beat for beat or do you tweak pre-made patterns??

2 Likes

*EZDrummer, sorry

You can either explore their library, use external midi (I’m using the ones that come with BeatBuddy) or make your own.

For the first one (Rust Rider) I grabbed some midis from https://groovemonkee.com/. And then I edit those inside reaper.

Thank you @TNKA36, I appreciate it! Let’s see where this will end up

2 Likes

Yeah I just use Reaper’s MIDI editor myself, haven’t tried using the riffs that come with my drum VST.

EZDrummer looked awesome when I checked it out. I ended up going with Steven Slate Drums 5, which I like a lot, but EZDrummer looked even better.

3 Likes

One I keep wanting to do something with…dark and haunting. The lead melody I’m playing over the chords would make a good vocal melody I think…even have some lyrics to it, (but can’t sing lol).

1 Like

I have been working with chord phrasings and simple jazz improvisational stuff recently. I want to work solely on the 6 string bass I have as a practice. I created this little fragment that I worked on last night. I know it is not mixed and it is a fragment of what might become but I thought I would share so that others might feel encouraged to share what they are working on. This is nothing but a simple drum loop, then a recorded chord phrasing in the II-V-I-IV phrasing, with a rough outline of how I want to solo over top of it. I hope you enjoy this is a bit out of my comfort zone lol Probably best with headphones or good speakers. @joergkutter

3 Likes

Nice lounge vibe there, @LesterH. And you already have some nice phrasing in your solo voice… I am often still stuck to a mostly linear up and down movement on the scales… Oh well, so much to work on :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you @joergkutter I will be honest here I practice running scales in every position and then running arpeggios in the same manner. I also try to use passing notes as well. These little clips are just me practicing those and seeing where it leads. I want to get better at all of this and finally complete an original song. I should also mention I am playing the Ibanez Sixer with a set of the Labella flats on it.

2 Likes

I was more thinking that what is needed (for me, at least) is also to practise scales (or arpeggios) where you don’t play them linearly but skip tones, so instead of C-D-E-F#-G-A-B-C for a C lydian, it is also important to practice it like C-E-D-F#-E-G-F#-A-G-B and so on or then C-F#-D-G-E-A-F#-B-G-C and so on (up ad down, of course). I think those are super important to get under your belt… I am not even close yet…

2 Likes

@joergkutter I understand. Technically speaking I am not there either lol Most of it is what sounds good to my ear. I try to refrain myself but I do find that certain phrasings just sound good and will head that direction. I do not want to be confined to one certain area of the fretboard. I think you are farther along than you might think. Not to mention the video you shared of Beatrice has been great for practicing as well.

2 Likes

Nice and mellow @lester, Lester,
cheers
Brian.

1 Like

Love the Lab…most of my stuff is lab that doesn’t go anywhere lol. Here is one that probably will go nowhere but it’s fun
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YS1Y2Iy1p4lcjOGb6jBUxQJeUisnm3Jq/view?usp=drivesdk

4 Likes

Really liked that one @kerushlow ,
great combining the different tracks, very cool, and plenty getting around the fretboard,
Cheers Brian.

2 Likes

I agree with Brian on this very cool!

2 Likes

Wow. You’re way better at slap than I am - I should put more time in to that someday. Sounded cool!

3 Likes

Thanks everyone! It was Primus and Chili Peppers who first inspired me to pick up a bass…I have pretty much been slapping from the get go with a goal of getting better at it.

3 Likes

Just because. Kind of a cool slap line, will likely try to tackle this one in studio and add a part. These vids are all similar because a single loop can only do so much.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nsG0fwsQWh_gi2JWelVNx3Of7ityfBzz/view?usp=drivesdk

4 Likes

Man, you are really cranking them out :joy: Hope you get to use some (or all) of these bits in a song later!

3 Likes

Notes on creativity! I’d love to just say I am awesome and infinitely creative, with little effort. But that isn’t true. While practice is important too, it really isn’t behind how much I make either (though making it is practice in and of itself). The only bit of self horn tooting I will do is that I have 100s of original bass lines, and I can pretty much make one at any given time. How GOOD they are or not is certainly in question (lol) but that they come to be isn’t. So for those who are interested in writing your own stuff, there is a method to my madness.

1. Don’t worry about how good it is, or how similar to something else it is. Over time just doing it will make you get better at it, and who cares? It’s for you. I’ve been making my own for about 4 years now. I listen to those first originals sometimes and notice how “bad” they were. At the same time it helps me track my improvement. Also, some of the bits I can revisit later and improve, giving me more material.

2. RECORD EVERYTHING ALWAYS! If it’s from your phone and you don’t even have an amp…record it. You can always go back to it. Recently Ive even been getting video. That way you can see how you were playing something if you forget later. At a minimum get audio.

3)This one is BIG. I turned a HUGE corner when I got my Zoom B3n pedal. As a practice device, it is unparalleled. A drum machine a looper and a ton of effects right at your disposal. The drum machine even pairs with looper and counts you in. Jamming along to the drums will inspire you to create different grooves. Changing the effect to a reverb, wah, phaser or distortion will change what you play too. Changing the tempo or time signature on the drums helps you play in different styles. Then, having a loop allows you to practice playing leads over things. Invaluable!

1. Play with others, doing originals. Again, how “good” it is doesn’t matter. If you play 3 notes that repeat, it’s still valuable learning experience. Do it. Your skills will grow. Have them come up with their parts to your bass lines. Have them share a guitar part and come up with a bassline to it. Have the drummer start playing and come up with something in the fly. Have a singer sing to it, and see how you have to adjust your playing to fit it! Experiment. Groove. Remember as a Beethoven said “To play a wrong note is inconsequential. To play without passion is INEXCUSABLE!”
5 Likes

To add, not disparaging doing covers either. Great value in it. It subconsciously teaches you phrasing, fills, timing, when to do fills, what notes “work well” with root notes etc… stealing a fill or technique you learn from a cover isn’t stealing, it is learning.

That said I still encourage everyone to pursue making original content. It is really rewarding. So much so, I barely get any satisfaction playing a cover these days.

3 Likes