Slapppppp

So I have been working on my technique for slapping(started about a month and a half ago) it just seems like I cannot get it down.
I have watched many many hours of videos on different techniques on how to slap. My biggest problem is that when I go to Slap say any string other then my low B (I have a 5 string, just love the low growl of it) it seems like I hit whatever string is under it I just don’t know if its as simple as more practice… ive been having this issue for about a month and half… just looking for advice and tips thank you :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@Aldwinn88 Welcome to the BassBuzz forum!

Module 13 of the Beginner to BadAss course is all about playing slap bass and Josh has these videos posted.

Idiot-Proof Beginner Slap Bass (Every F**king Detail You Need to Get Started)

How to Slap & Pop Faster (Bad vs. Good Bass Technique)

7 Reasons Flea is Awesome (with Bass Lesson Tips)

I don’t know enough about slap to be much help other than that.

Also, if you can post a video, there are others here that can help diagnose any technique problems.

5 Likes

ive watched all them at least 10x… I think its something wrong with my technique…

4 Likes

If you video yourself playing for a minute or 2 with slap style, we could offer suggestions, if that’s what you’re interested in? It can be helpful to see things in action to give comment.

5 Likes

Practice, practice, practice makes still not so perfect for me still, but a hell of a lot better.

I would like to offer a suggestion @Aldwinn88.
Learn Rage Against The Machine
Take the power back.

This is not the hardest slap song in the world, as a matter of fact, other then timing on some f the fills, it’s actually pretty easy to play.

I can say it has done wonders for my slap technique, and I have been slapping for less then a month, since doing the slap module of B2B back in mid April of this year.

Here is a Tutorial from none other then our beloved @JoshFossgreen that I just found while looking for a cover video of the same song.
I didnt know he broke this down, and am super excited to use this video to help me perfect the fills and play the song complete.

I can’t say why, but playing this riff over and over has helped me with my technique Nd muting emensely. I went from a zero to probably a 35 to 40 out of 100. Like I said, not perfect, but no bass player will ever claim perfection, and up 35-40 points from zero is huge IMO

Anyway, if you want to give it a try, heck, if anybody wants to give it a try, It May work for you too.
It is drop D tuning, and slaps the Drop D and A, and pops the D and G strings, so you get them all.

For 5 string, Idk if you wanna alt tune it to use your 4 low strings, or skip your B and use the four high (standard) strings? You will have to see what’s most comfortable for you.

Anyway, HTH

2 Likes