Small amp for a bedroom Bass player

I suggest a dying giraffe.

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

But then Iā€™d have to take up the bassoon :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

A friend of mine suggested that maybe for my purpose a Vox AmPlug 2 Bass + Headphone could do the job. Anybody with some experience with this device?

2 Likes

It worked well for me but not for some others here, when running a sound cable to the line in some people got a ground hum. I liked it though. Very cute little product and standalone should be fine.

FWIW I donā€™t use an amp at all, just headphones. I live in a condo in Japan so I canā€™t run amps nearly loudly enough to be satisfying at all. Headphones work great though and sound fantastic with some work shaping the sound a bit.

Full disclosure there, I have a very elaborate sound chain before those headphones though.

4 Likes

@howard What is the downside of using a DAI instead of an AmPlug?

2 Likes

More expensive? Less portable? Thatā€™s all I can think of.

I think the AmPlug might have a cab sim in it which could make things sound more like an amp than a straight DAI as well, but thatā€™s relatively minor. The higher audio quality of the DAIā€™s preamp would more than make up for that.

4 Likes

I have an Amplug 2 Bass and itā€™s a very handy device.
Much to my amusement, I can use the ouputut to provide signal to my UE boomā€™s while lying in bed, or wandering around the house. They perform quite adequately for something that was never meant to do that job. Use the bigger ones for better bass response!
I can also plug it into the aux on the car stereo which can also provide some serious grunt.
My friendā€™s son is a bass player and I want to see how he handles practicing while I handle roundabouts with the anti skid turned off, in the rain.
Should be worth a youtube video.

4 Likes

Well, that, or you shoot a girā€“

ā€¦ on second thought, letā€™s not go there. :wink:

2 Likes

Rear wheel drive, I hope?

1 Like

It is ok. I have a headphone jack on my amp, but the vox frees me from needing to be near my amp. I liked the built in drum machine ok, but honestly just downloading the fee Loopz app will give you a better selection of drum rhythms. If I have my phone plugged into to aux in while my phone is plugged into the wall I get a real bad humming sound.

So overall, it is a good tool for what it does, but isnā€™t quite everything I hoped for. At this point I only really use it on a nice day when I want to sit outside and play without annoying the neighbors.

3 Likes

Ah, those were the days. Now itā€™s a turbo AWD, so itā€™s hard in, plant it, break the back wheels, GENTLE with the front, or it hooks up and youā€™ve to to go to the next one or do another lap.
My Skyline was much easierā€¦

3 Likes

The Skyline is considered a sleeper-classic here!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the ground loop @howard was referring to. There are some solutions hereā€¦ VOX amPlug 2 Bass Headphone Amp.

Which I now realize you were already a part of. Glad to hear youā€™re getting good use out of it. :+1:

3 Likes

hey i brought the fender rumble lt25, dont regret it for a second, i think it has 30 preset tones, but plug it in to your computer, upgrade the firmware now you have room for 60 presets. which you can get from the fender tone program, countless amps and stomp box modelling effects.

5 Likes

Fender Rumble 40!

4 Likes

I purchased the AmPlug2 and itā€™s good little tool to keep handyā€¦ I like that it has the mp3 input to play along to music and a little metronome beat machine built in. It doesnā€™t get a dynamic sound but good for beginners to practice to. I like it.

5 Likes

Adding this to my wishlist!

2 Likes

@jenny20 We have a this threadā€¦ Fender Rumble LT25 if you need any more information.

3 Likes