Smaller sized bass/guitar straps?

Hey all! I hope the title is helpful. Essentially, I’m a pretty small gal, and a standard sized guitar/bass strap offers me no support for playing bass, even when I set the strap to be as small as possible. Has anyone else had this problem, or found a solution? I also tried tying a knot in the guitar strap to make it smaller, but that did not work at all haha. Do you think I need to try to find a kids-sized strap? I would like to be able to play with a strap while sitting down, still.

I hope there’s a solution from this! I think lack of a good strap is really putting a strain on my body+hands when I play, and I don’t want this issue to hold me back.

Thanks so much :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have a Levy’s right height strap that you can adjust just like a strap on a rucksack. Pull it to make it tight and release to loosen. You can make it pretty small. It says 43” on the website which is quite small.
Lots of different styles within the range.

3 Likes

KLIQ AirCell Guitar Strap, SHORT, for Bass & Electric Guitar with 3" Wide Neoprene Pad and Adjustable Length from 38" to 44" (Short), Black https://a.co/d/chXuWY7
I have one of these in the standard size. This shower one goes down to 38”.

5 Likes

The short version of the Mono Betty strap can be made as short as 40".

4 Likes

I have a Levy’s Right Height like @Barney, and it is a decent strap. If 43" is still too long, I would look at a Neotech MegaStrap Small. I have a midsized that I like a lot, probably even more then the Levy’s.

https://www.amazon.com/Neotech-Mega-Strap-Regular-Tailored-Control-Stretch/dp/B015619H56?th=1

I also have a Kliq AirCell, which is my least favorite of any strap I own. It has air cell padding that dig into my shoulder when I play, and is extremely uncomfortable for me when playing for extended periods. This has been my experience, I know that some people have no problems with the Kliq and give them good reviews.

5 Likes

Thanks so much everyone for your replies - I’m looking into your suggestions! I definitely think I need something smaller than 40" still, but the one that goes down to 38" sounds perfect :-).

4 Likes

@hclent1, I have a Neotech Mega Strap Regular size and like it (I’m 5’ 2"). It can be adjusted down to 36" in length (range is 36" to 45").

The link AnotherJosh posted to the Neotech short model shows it is fully adjustable in length 32" to 37" (86, 4cm - 94cm) if you need an even shorter length. Perhaps using the instructions in the Product Description area at the Neotech website for measuring for strap length will help to see if the short model will work for you:

For optimal comfort, it is best to select the correct strap by first measuring from the top of the left shoulder to the position of the front strap pin when the instrument is held in playing position. Using this measurement, plus the overall length of the desired strap, the chart below will help to determine the strap size needed for the best possible custom fit to maximize performance and comfort.

6 Likes

wow thanks! This is uber helpful!

5 Likes

@hclent1 ent1
Neotech also makes what they call a Super Strap (for bass and other instruments). The size range for the Super Strap for Bass is 33" to 42". I noticed an added instruction on that page:

To find the strap with the perfect fit: First, measure from the top of your shoulder to the instrument’s front strap pin. (This measurement insures that the pad is positioned properly). Second, measure the overall strap length from pin to pin for your desired playing position. Use both of these measurements in the chart below to select the ideal strap.

You can shop around for the best price for either strap. I forget why I decided on the Mega vs. the Super - it may well have been due to the price. I got a deal on the Mega at the time, from Guitar Center, where today I see it is $30.31 for the Mega in Regular (I don’t know if they sell the Short model). The Super is showing a price of $33.49. These prices are much lower than those at the Neotech website for these straps.

5 Likes

+1 for the KLIQ. I’m pretty short too - and this KLIQ is my go-to. I just put less expensive Ernie Ball guitar straps on the ones I don’t pick up that often.

3 Likes

I have the 4inch model

2 Likes

I do, too.

2 Likes

Me too, probably selling it, we’ll see. It’s quite good but I prefer the Comfort Strapp.

2 Likes

Welcome @hclent1 ! Really glad you are here with us. All these folks are on point. Good luck on finding a good strap. Please enjoy the course and Keep is posted on your progress

2 Likes

Those Comfort Strapps look good, @howard! I don’t think I’d heard of them before.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s become my favorite.

Levy’s MSS2 4.5” wide strap is my go-to fave for all my basses.

Mine too. Close second is the Levy’s adjustable split 3.5 inch. Only cause I can’t afford any more of the 4.5’s.

1 Like

Hi all, I wanted to share this info for smaller people like me or anyone with back/shoulder issues. I went looking for a strap that would distribute the weight of the bass across both shoulders - I’m 5’2" and my short scale bass is still pretty heavy on just one shoulder after a while. I bought one that failed dismally - it had a double strap but still managed to end up almost horizontal across my back and pulled on the left side of my neck. I’ve since ordered one that has two shoulder straps and a waist-strap to keep the shoulder straps vertical at the back. The company is “Slinger Straps”, based in L.A. “Tom” contacted me and asked me to send some measurements because for women they prefer to customise for a good fit while most average to larger men can use one off the shelf. I sent my measurements and 2 days later they have sent it out (no extra cost), a total of around $100AUD including shipping to Australia ($60USD). I’ll share an up-date once I’ve received it - I figure I’m not the only one with this issue.

1 Like

Keep us posted. I’m a petite guy as well. My Ibanez 5 string is on the heavy side for me.