Smooth Flats

First I apologize if this topic has been covered. I am looking for a set of flat wounds. I have Ernie Ball cobalt flats now. However, a friend has Pyramid Gold pure Nickel flat-wounds. I am looking for something comparable to these without the 70.00 price tag ? Is that a possibility? I feel like the Earnie Ball cobalt are half flats compared to the Pyramids. Essentially I am looking for soft tones with smooth strings.

4 Likes

The LaBella Deep Talking Bass flats are the best I’ve found and reasonably priced. They have great tone, and they’re smooth as glass.

I also use D’Addario black nylon tape wounds which have a nice deep yet mellow tone.

7 Likes

+1 for LaBella. i’ve had them before and they are superb but what country are you in Trossi? I Don’t know whether there is a great difference between pure nickel and nickel chrome but the nickel chromes are nowhere near that price in the UK Pyramid Gold Chrome Nickel Flatwound 10-46.5 Guitar Strings (stringsdirect.co.uk)

4 Likes

Actually just found the pure nickels. £49.99
Pyramid Gold 4-String Chrome Flatwound Nickel Long Scale 45-105 Bass Strings (stringsdirect.co.uk)

4 Likes

I use LaBella’s as well. I prefer their Low Tension Flats to their Deep Talkin’ Bass myself. Both are smooth as glass though.

4 Likes

US … $70.00 is a lot! I will give the la Bella’s a go…

3 Likes

Yes the topic has been covered before, @TRossi,
Everyone has something they prefer, I run Ernie ball slinky flats on most of my basses.
I like the smoothness and they have great warmth, most of my covers lean towards country music, so maybe they work best for that.
Cheers
Brian

2 Likes

I have Labella Deep talking bass flats on both of my basses the Bass and the 6 string Ibanez. I love them for what I am playing.

2 Likes

I also have a set of those EB Slinky’s, but I didn’t much care for them. They’re on a shelf in my closet now.
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

4 Likes

I believe it was you @PamPurrs who mentioned these flats before that led me to try them. I liked them so much I put them on both my basses.

4 Likes

Yes it was me :grin:

3 Likes

@PamPurrs Then I am very grateful for your experience and wisdom in sharing them with us.

3 Likes

I’ve got the La Bella’s too on the Rick and y to he Fender but I’ve got a set of Thomastik Jazz strings on my Ibanez which I absolutely love. They were $140 though I think :thinking:

3 Likes

Hi Pam, @PamPurrs
you can always send them over to me, I love them :sunglasses:
Cheers
Brian

2 Likes

I’ll bring them to you personally!

I’ll watch my mailbox for the round trip tickets for me and Sara. :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

Totally can’t wait until Wednesday to throw these bad Larrys on and break them in

2 Likes

Another vote for the La Bella Deep Talkin’ Bass strings - I have them on my Squier P bass and Gretsch Junior Jet and love the way they sound and especially the way they feel.

I have Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky flats on my Sterling Sub Ray 4 and well . . . the jury is still out. Sometimes I like the way they sound and other times I think about replacing them with La Bellas.

4 Likes

As a follow up, all tuned up with the new strings (LeBelles) and they are friggin slick as all get out! Thank you @PamPurrs for the recommendation

3 Likes

Awesome @TRossi! Have you tried sliding yet? :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

Ummm yes! That’s the first thing I did! Haha. Also hamerons formerly my nemesis seems to be much smoother!

3 Likes