Smooth Flats

Agreed and thanks to @PamPurrs. I originally bought the LaBella “1954 Original” flats… before I knew much about string gauge and tension. Those things are super thick with crazy tension, and therefore pretty hard to play. So instead of re-setting up my bass for those I bought some of the Labella “Standard” flats (.45 - .105) and they are my favorite strings ever. So much punch and low end.

4 Likes

@bjams sorry about those 1954 flats. I didn’t like them either and sent them back and got a refund (thankfully I bought them on Amazon so I was able to).

4 Likes

@PamPurrs all good! I got the LaBella recommendation from you, but went with the 1954s because I was in my Duck Dunn phase at the time :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Last week I decided to put flats on as well and I opted for D’Addario Chromes. What I read on the internet (yes always a very reliable source of knowledge…) is that they were supposed to be both warm, punchy and still have some nice brightness.

However, I’m not sure yet about the sound. I did a full setup, adjusting trussrod, intonation etc. I adjusted the settings on my amp to tweak the sound.
But still, I’m not really impressed. I was hoping to be completely overwhelmed, but they just sound ok.

Now I have to admit, I have Sub Ray 4, so not highest quality components, and the same goes for my amp (Behringer).
But reading all your comments on the LaBella Deep Talking Bass strings, did I simply choose the wrong flats?

I also struggle a little with playing. In the beginning I had difficulty with the left hand, but there I just needed a bit more pressure on the frets and a bit more accuracy on finger position. I actually like that, because I’m directly punished if I play sloppy and I like the smooth transitions between frets.
Right hand though, the strings sometimes seem to stick a bit during plucking. It makes it hard to get consistent sound during alternating, especially while chugging.

Is it just getting used to new strings and should I have more patience?

4 Likes

So this is just my subjective opinion, but I would never put flats on a Stingray.

A Stingray is a bright, mids-heavy bass by nature for which roundwounds are a natural fit. Putting flats on it will blunt part of what it is naturally good at.

By the same token, I wouldn’t put rounds on a fretless or something that benefits from types of thuddy, thumpier tone flats bring. Or on a P-bass if I were doing Motown, etc.

This “stickiness” drives me mad with flats in general, for the flats I have tried, both fretting and plucking. To me, rounds feel like they have far less friction, and flats are grippier.

4 Likes

@howard I have to laugh every time you say that (in a friendly way of course) because my experience is exactly the opposite. My LaBella flats are slick as silk and smooth as glass, while all the rounds I’ve played are as sticky as a spider web, which is only one of the reasons I hate rounds so much.
If I had a Ray, I would not hesitate to put a set of LaBella Deep Talking Bass flats on it. To hell with convention! LOL
@afoostendorp maybe give the LaBellas a try?

4 Likes

It’s not so much convention here, it’s that by putting flats on the bass whose strength is having a bright sound with punchy mids, it’s like taking a nice sharp kitchen knife and running it across a sanding block before cooking.

Sure, it may still work, but you just took the best part of its signature sound away :slight_smile:

Brian is getting some great, deep tone out of his, so will still sound good, but this is a bass that is famous for being a punchy, bright, mids-loaded machine. And that just screams Nickel Rounds.

But like I said, it won’t be bad. Here’s Brian’s with flats, for a concrete example of the good bits of a 'ray with flats. I do think he has a nice, deep and rich tone here:

https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/2020/12/13/angel-of-harlem/

whereas here is a bunch with rounds:

which kind of enhances the really distinctive sound that the bass is really good at.

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve heard him play that, it sounds great.

2 Likes

It’s really all moot since I doubt I’ll ever buy a Ray. I have all the bass I need with my BB735 and now the Hofner.

3 Likes

Yeah, both of those will sound great with anything on them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just ordered a set of LaBella Deep Talking Bass flats that are specific to the Hofner. I don’t really care much for the strings that came with it.
I also ordered a Zero Fret nut.

4 Likes

I saw those and wondered how they sound. You’ll have to let us know.

I am looking for strings myself and darned if I know which way to go. My Ibby sounds pretty good, but the rounds on it are rough on the fingers.

3 Likes

I’ve had them on every bass I’ve owned and I love them. Now I’ll have them on the Hofner too.

1 Like

Do you know what rounds are on it? Nickel rounds are way more comfortable than stainless steel.

2 Likes

They are D’Addario EXL170-5 XL nickel wound.

3 Likes

Hi Howard, @howard,
I just checked Angel of Harlem and the stingray had rounds on it for that recording, what type, I’m not sure :thinking:
I put rotosound flats on it for “An innocent man” and its tone is significantly different with the flats on it.
Again i think it comes down to personal choice :+1:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Ahh interesting, I’ll check the Joel cover. No wonder I liked the tone of Angel of Harlem :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ahh, well if you find those to be harsh, then yeah, you should move on - those are the best feeling rounds I know of.

3 Likes

It’s really only the G string that gives me issues; it is so thin it hurts to fret.
Still better than the Fender strings which drew blood lol.

3 Likes

Wow - this actually sounds like maybe you’re pressing too hard :slight_smile:

2 Likes