Smooth Flats

I don’t try to. Comparing to the Jazz, it doesn’t bother me at all. Something to ponder

2 Likes

Now I am wondering what Fender was using :slight_smile:

No bass string has ever bothered my fingers in that way, though the Warwick steel rounds were a little rough, and the D’Addarios definitely feel nicer than Ernie Ball strings to me.

I have steel rounds on now and they are a little rougher than the D’Addarios but not as rough as the Warwick Reds.

But all of these feel great to me in comparison to guitar strings. Now that’s a whole different world of finger pain.

In no case, with any bass string, have I ever had significant finger pain from the strings. I have had it from pressing too hard, and my current steels were a little callous-enabling when I was sliding on them a lot, but nothing even in close to the same league as a set of 9’s or 10’s on a guitar.

2 Likes

I put DR Black Beauties tapewounds on my Fender. So it’s not stock; the original strings drew blood.

I tried guitar ages ago but those really bothere me lol

2 Likes

The difference with guitar is so crazy. Just a different world of ow.

3 Likes

So I just found this out as I almost ordered the la Belles specific to hoffners. They are thinner, the Hoffner neck can’t deal with the tensions the bigger strings make happen. Also did I mention that I love these LaBelles

2 Likes

Yes, I am aware of this.

I’m glad you love your LaBellas :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

@TRossi

The strings that came with my Hofner are .05 to .1 (I put my caliper on them)

LaBella offers two different sets for the Hofner… .05 to .1 and .039 to .96

My bass guy ordered a set of the .039 to .96 for me, he says they sound better. I told him I’d give them a try.

3 Likes

@PamPurrs You indicate you will try the lighter gauge, and you also gave me advice to try LaBellas.
What do you think, is it worthwhile to have several sets of strings to really find your best sounding combination? Strings aren’t that cheap, but off course a great sounding bass is priceless :grin:

1 Like

I’ve tried different strings, some I’ve like more or less than others. I don’t recommend buying strings for the sake of collecting strings, just experiment with different tones until you find what you like.
All the reviewers of the Hofner seem to recommend those lighter guage LaBellas, so I think those should work.

1 Like