I betrayed Bass and bought a Guitar!

I’m in love with this thing! Can’t put it down. I know I just started the honeymoon, but man, it just feels so comfortable to play. I might name this one, and I’ve never named an instrument. LOL.

I’m also super impressed with the NYXL strings. They feel really good on the fingers.

3 Likes

Easily my favorite strings, yeah.

3 Likes

As @howard knows I bought a Shijie Strat copy for $500 new including shipping and a sweet case. Roasted maple fingerboard, stainless steel frets, Gotoh hardware, thumb wheel truss rod; just an insane price point for the quality.

If you could actually play (unlike me) it would sound pretty good. Unlike Bass I never put in the time and that’s the difference. Putting in the time.

8 Likes

Awesome guitar! I love strats. The hardware for that price is a steal. More importantly what are those two lovely guitar amps you have? Looks like a Fender Champion and a Princeton?

I will share my strats too, keep forgetting it :wink:

2 Likes

And possibly a Yamaha head in the background :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah seems like a Yamaha THR. Had one for a few months. Kinda regret letting it go.

Found the thread with my ex-collection of amps. Show us your amps - #205 by Paul

1 Like

I think I want to buy one but my local GC is out of stock and I wanted to check it out before buying.

2 Likes

So I haven’t got a “new” guitar in a while but the “new to me” lineup is always changing. Just got this in a trade for some EMG bone breakers a few weeks ago. Late 1980s Ovation! The body is and neck were imported but the product line was DOA when it arrived. They were assembled with all American products. Original pickups should have been Dimarzio Super Distortions. Those are long gone and some cheap Epi humbuckers are in there for now. Getting a Duncan JB in the bridge and a Duncan Jazz in the neck this weekend. Kahler trem is missing the wang bar but I’ll grab one off of eBay for too much money. I love the German carve on the horns. It’s an interesting mix of styles but I dig it! What do you guys think?

5 Likes

Cool blast from the past!

1 Like

I’ve always subscribed to the idea that strap length should be set to where the guitar sits at the same height when seating or standing. I think this is what is generally taught and figured it was the proper position.

However I’ve always felt like the guitar was too high when playing standing, which for me is 90% of the time. I saw this video a few days ago and gave it a try. At first it felt a bit awkward, but after a few hours it felt really comfortable and my playing felt really relaxed. My strumming got better instantly. Kind of makes sense and to me the lower position is more ergonomic. Need to try it on bass as well but first I need to get a longer strap.

2 Likes

Wacky. The new Revstars have a transformer :rofl:

Completely passive, not sure what’s up.

3 Likes

wow, that’s strange. maybe some kind of Varitone ? very intriguing

3 Likes

It has this boost switch that passively amplifies the pups and massively changes the tone and output, apparently.

3 Likes

I really like this new lineup. They went with the cool racing stripe aesthetic for all of the range, including the cheapest; they are all chambered mahogany bodies; unlike the last model line, the quality difference between cheapest and midrange isn’t so high; overall, nice changes.

3 Likes

oh yeah that’s a very cool idea ! in fact it is used purely as a normal transformer on a AC signal to create passive voltage gain. great idea !

3 Likes

Yeah I kind of want to try one. It’s a neat idea.

2 Likes

two things I really like.

it looks like a much better alternative to a Gibson, if you want a HH hardtail guitar.

3 Likes

yeah … and I want to try to build a passive overdrive pedal with a transformer :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Yep. Yamaha and PRS are really killing it in that price range now; both of the Made in Indonesia models from each are going to be as or higher quality than even MIA Gibson (at double to triple the cost), and the top ends (MIJ for Yamaha and MIA for PRS) are gonna be much better than rolling the quality dice on a MIA SG or Les Paul.

2 Likes

I heard that recent Gibson are getting better but the price tag is still insane

3 Likes