Song 14 - "Blitzkrieg Bop" by Ramones

This was the hardest part, getting the finger stamina to be able to play it a few times to get a good take. My fingers turned into melted butter quickly.

Yea look at that they blocked it.

Hey everyone - FYI - this tune gets blocked on YouTube.
Took a few days for it to be blocked but it is, so upload any future ones to Vimeo.

2 Likes

Oh man what a right hand workout this was! As those above have experienced, it was the stamina that was harder than getting up to speed. I hear myself running out of gas and falling behind the beat a little as the song progresses but have to ship this one and move on. I’m going to keep working on it.

For the tone, the dirt comes from the built in distortion of the Orange Crush amp. I was attempting to get a faux-picked sound by cranking the treble, and using some an aggressive plucking with occasional finger nail bite. As a guitarist, I’m decent with a pick but felt like trying this one with fingers might help me on the road to playing Steve Harris speeds some day :metal:

5 Likes

Well done. Great tone.
Yeah this is a beast of a workout.
You did great. !!

1 Like

yes, I trying to get up to date… this one was just fun, I put some distortion to it, I considered using a pick but right now I don’t feel like branching

https://youtu.be/rZ0Jj6CddlE

9 Likes

Fantastic!!

I like the distortion you used too. 3/3!!!
Keep ‘em coming @Reo

2 Likes

Damn that sounds great

This song is fast. Trying to challenge myself by using a pick. It went… ok.

Lakland 44-GZ

P: 100%, J: 0%, Tone 100%, running through SansAmp Bass Fly Rig with flat EQ, 9’clock overdrive, light compression (my first time messing with this), softone saturation plugin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3TTpiqu_Hs

7 Likes

Sounds good!

1 Like

…because what’s more punk than a U-Bass?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if6YNXofRvU

5 Likes

Well done!

I couldn’t even entertain doing this with a pick.
Slows it down a lot being able to pick up and down (another can’t yet do thing for me).

This was really great!

1 Like

Timing is quite off in this one, but kudos for trying it on that little guy.
I tihnk my fingers would cramp up solid for a week if I tried this!

1 Like

You can tell by the fact that I’m staring at my picking hand the entire time that I’m not too comfortable with it either :laughing:

I mostly just wanted to make sure I wasn’t forsaking my finger style playing for all this pick fun. But yeah! I’m pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds plugged in!

2 Likes

It’s the Ramones - you only need to be able to down pick. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice pick work @RoyB! And the U-Bass definitely had more bottom end than I expected it to.

Yeah Dee Dee definitely set a standard for punk playing style, hang the bass to your knees and downpick. Looks cool, sounds nice and aggressive, hard to do well at song tempo.

1 Like

and live the tempo was much faster than the recording. Dee Dee and CJ both were reaaly good

2 Likes

Well I’ve certainly been busy lately! I don’t love the lighting in the video on this one but I finally am able to get the Talman into the mix for a cover. I think it fit well for the P bass sound plus a bit of grit on the Darkglass head.

The knobs on this bass are still pretty busted (replacements must be on a boat cause I still have to wait a few weeks for them to show…) so I can’t be certain about the positions. I think the preamp was flat and then the blend favors the P pickup a bit. I used the B3K side of the Darkglass head for some grit and broke out a heavy pick and went to town on this one!

XLR out to a Volt 276 and then into Garageband. Video recorded with OBS. I then brought it all together in
iMovie. Original Bass removed by Moises.ai.

Thanks for checking it out!

6 Likes

Nice job on a fun tune with a fun looking bass. Bonus points for the good dance moves :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! :laughing: