Song 16 - "Come as You Are" by Nirvana

Crossfire is down a HALF step- EbAbDbGb - and yours sounds fine
Come as you are is down a WHOLE step - DGCF, another half step lower than crossfire.

I slowed this down and got out my tuner to see if I could figure out the issue.
During the pre-chorus (22222222555555550 etc your notes are F, Ab and Eb - which means your E string is tuned to Eb and not D.
The very last note (9 on the second “A” string) is sounding as an F and should be an E.
This means you are tuned to EbAbDbGb and not DGCF.
Keep cranking those tuners down another half step.

3 Likes

You can if you want, that’s what I did. If you start the main riff at the 5th fret of the A string instead of the 7th. You have to shift things around a little in the chorus and pre-chorus, and you won’t have the low D, but he only hits it a few times. I had to reach up an octave for those, but close enough in my opinion.

1 Like

it certainly doesn’t sound the same
@John_E thanks for taking the time to do that… I will play with the tuner again, I must be ignoring something

all right mates, I think that it’s in tune now :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

https://youtu.be/NeJiP4sHTjM

5 Likes

sounds MUCH better, and great timing.

I can ‘sort of’ play this on my bass uke, but the extra spacing on the bass hurts my fingers!

I just finished #2, so I’ve got a ways to go before I hit this one.

1 Like

There it is!!!
Well done @Reo

Nice job! way to keep at it.

I only play a Short Scale and down tuning is not my friend, so that is what I am planning on doing.

1 Like

Nevermind was one of the first CDs I ever bought. I owned various cassette tapes prior to that. This album got very heavy play back in the day! Anyways, here’s my cover!

Once again with the Jino Jazz Bass. H Pickup rolled off, bridge and neck are full volume. I had the preamp on, but the boosts are dialed back all the way. We are down-tuned a full step. Since these are lighter gauge strings I found that to present it’s own challenge!

I added some slides here and there and I think they fit well. I guess it’s a habit! :laughing:

Darkglass Microtubes 500v2 Head & Ampeg SVT15E cab. I scooped the mids on the EQ and set Compression at 50%. Microtubes Engine ON with Tone and Blend at 50%. I used XLR out to a Volt 276 interface and then to GarageBand. Video recorded with OBS. Finished in iMovie.

This may be the last cover where I use a webcam… I’ve got a decent Sony DSLR from my streaming days and I plan to incorporate it soon. :smiley:

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Any string is going to feel a little floppity or just wrong Vs what your used to tuned down a full step Vs a normal setup. I keep two basses tuned down 1/2 step and set up that way to eliminate any of this for KISS songs.

Your strings will work, just need a re-setup to feel a bit better.

Great job on this one @cheeze_pizza
I still don’t know how you’re banging these out so fast. Well done!

2 Likes

Thanks @John_E :smiley:

This one took about 20 takes for me to get where we ended. I’m still shocked that I can’t come close to a good take on House of the Rising Sun :grimacing:

Might move on to some Strokes for now.

1 Like

That was great @cheeze_pizza! The tone and picking really worked. Nevermind sounded so fresh when it came it out. Had it on cassette, wore it out rewinding the crap out of it, trying to figure out riffs on a junky pawn shop guitar. We got it made these day :slight_smile:

You’re gonna catch me next sometime next week at this rate, I better get going!

1 Like

OK, I just had one take at this one so it is not good. But I move on. If I ever play in a band thats gonna cover this song, I will post a better version. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pretty good anyway, bass could be a bit higher in the mix here.

1 Like

Tnx, @John_E nice to hear that it is possible to do something this fast and get an OK result. :slight_smile:

It’s been ages since I posted anything!

Well I’m here for song 16. I’m not doing them in order any more. Some songs I just don’t like to play! Leaving them for last, or maybe NEVER!

Anyway, here’s Wonder…no…Come as you Are
I added a touch of reverb in Resolve to try to get closer to Krist’s sound. Lemmeno what you tink!

5 Likes

one of us

1 Like

I skipped the down tuning and just played down a couple frets in standard tuning (hope that’s not illegal :wink:)
So not quite as written but I think it sounds decent and I don’t have to retune to play it now.
Also added some reverb and a hint of overdrive in audacity.

3 Likes

Great job @groaner !

1 Like

Really good! Well done @myheadsmt91 !

1 Like