Song 16 - "Come as You Are" by Nirvana

I only play a Short Scale and down tuning is not my friend, so that is what I am planning on doing.

1 Like

Nevermind was one of the first CDs I ever bought. I owned various cassette tapes prior to that. This album got very heavy play back in the day! Anyways, hereā€™s my cover!

Once again with the Jino Jazz Bass. H Pickup rolled off, bridge and neck are full volume. I had the preamp on, but the boosts are dialed back all the way. We are down-tuned a full step. Since these are lighter gauge strings I found that to present itā€™s own challenge!

I added some slides here and there and I think they fit well. I guess itā€™s a habit! :laughing:

Darkglass Microtubes 500v2 Head & Ampeg SVT15E cab. I scooped the mids on the EQ and set Compression at 50%. Microtubes Engine ON with Tone and Blend at 50%. I used XLR out to a Volt 276 interface and then to GarageBand. Video recorded with OBS. Finished in iMovie.

This may be the last cover where I use a webcamā€¦ Iā€™ve got a decent Sony DSLR from my streaming days and I plan to incorporate it soon. :smiley:

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Any string is going to feel a little floppity or just wrong Vs what your used to tuned down a full step Vs a normal setup. I keep two basses tuned down 1/2 step and set up that way to eliminate any of this for KISS songs.

Your strings will work, just need a re-setup to feel a bit better.

Great job on this one @cheeze_pizza
I still donā€™t know how youā€™re banging these out so fast. Well done!

2 Likes

Thanks @John_E :smiley:

This one took about 20 takes for me to get where we ended. Iā€™m still shocked that I canā€™t come close to a good take on House of the Rising Sun :grimacing:

Might move on to some Strokes for now.

1 Like

That was great @cheeze_pizza! The tone and picking really worked. Nevermind sounded so fresh when it came it out. Had it on cassette, wore it out rewinding the crap out of it, trying to figure out riffs on a junky pawn shop guitar. We got it made these day :slight_smile:

Youā€™re gonna catch me next sometime next week at this rate, I better get going!

1 Like

OK, I just had one take at this one so it is not good. But I move on. If I ever play in a band thats gonna cover this song, I will post a better version. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pretty good anyway, bass could be a bit higher in the mix here.

1 Like

Tnx, @John_E nice to hear that it is possible to do something this fast and get an OK result. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s been ages since I posted anything!

Well Iā€™m here for song 16. Iā€™m not doing them in order any more. Some songs I just donā€™t like to play! Leaving them for last, or maybe NEVER!

Anyway, hereā€™s Wonderā€¦noā€¦Come as you Are
I added a touch of reverb in Resolve to try to get closer to Kristā€™s sound. Lemmeno what you tink!

5 Likes

one of us

1 Like

I skipped the down tuning and just played down a couple frets in standard tuning (hope thatā€™s not illegal :wink:)
So not quite as written but I think it sounds decent and I donā€™t have to retune to play it now.
Also added some reverb and a hint of overdrive in audacity.

3 Likes

Great job @groaner !

1 Like

Really good! Well done @myheadsmt91 !

1 Like