Song 4 - "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash

Thanks a lot @JerryP ! Yeah, wasn’t sure about this one but ended up just rolling off a lot of the mids and all treble and it worked. The backing track I stumbled on is played in C (440), so I didn’t need to re-tune which helped too.

2 Likes

The sheet music here notes, “The tape speed was slowed down slightly on the recording, lowering the pitch of all instruments approximately one quarter step. To play along with the recording, tune all strings slight flat.” Also, as far as the transcription goes, it looks like the only difference is that this particular transcription has the bassist playing the fifth above the F# (sixth fret on G string) rather than the fifth below (fourth fret on A string).

2 Likes

I posted this on the covers thread, but I’m posting here too:

This is not a cover of the original version of the song, but of the live version from the album Live At Folsom (1968).

Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbg_YHJz-Ps

6 Likes

Well done @robbp
I went and listened to this version, and it sounds to me like he is playing an octave higher than you did in some places (or all?).

in any event, great job

2 Likes

Thank you, @John_E

I listened again and I can’t notice the octave higher thing that you noticed… One thing that I noticed thought is that his bass has way less highs/treble than mine (meaning that mine is “boomier”), so perhaps this is it?

1 Like

Here is the tab Josh provided.

Was this what you were playing or were you lower?

It wasn’t this one, I think that they played this specific live version at Folsom in the key of C instead of F. So yes, I was lower.

3 Likes

Nice job on this @robbp, sounded great! Dig the jazz burst too.

I also used a version recorded in C. I found it easier than trying to tune to the original.

4 Likes

Nicely done @robbp !
:+1:

1 Like

Thank you, @JerryP and @dlamson13!

1 Like

https://youtu.be/sZJdhRLEOmA

Finally posting my attempt… Played near the neck and added a sponge to try to add some “thumpiness”. Used the SVT+1x18 setting on the B1four - tone on the bass mostly rolled off.

I did have some trouble really feeling the beat in this one. I think I mostly got it, but I feel like I wandered a little bit here and there.

I’d say that I have to work on my “stage presence”, but really, that’s about all I could muster for this song. :rofl: I like the song - just not the most fun to play. That’s why I added a little fill here and there - tried to make it a little more interesting.

Open to critique. Thanks for listening! Feels good to make some progress in the 50 song challenge! It’s been too long…

5 Likes

Great job @skydvr !

Not much else to say, you nailed it

4 Likes

Very nicely done @skydvr ! Great tone as well.
:+1:

2 Likes

Thanks much @John_E and @JerryP ! Appreciate it…

2 Likes

Sounds great @skydvr! Nice cover.

Haha well you looked a little bored but you kept good time and didn’t rush the beat at all which is easy to do on this, so staying steady worked.

2 Likes

Thanks @dlamson13 ! Appreciate it…

Note to self - don’t take up poker for a living… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s my version. I think I was off time at the beginning but I think it got on track. I followed joshes tab exactly. I spent a little time trying to work on the Phils people are putting in which are definitely cool but I just couldn’t get them smooth and don’t want to spend too much time on this one. IMG 0148 - YouTube

6 Likes

Good cover. I like it. Good thump from that Reverend

2 Likes

Nice job @doylecb.

My one comment is you are playing a bit ahead of the beat, and a little too fast at some points.
Try to settle into the groove and ride it.
Sometimes starting out this happens cause we are trying so hard to keep up and not make mistakes, it will come with time. Be the groooooooove. Lay back a bit.

I would try to not move your body so much, esp your arms, etc.
Bob your head if you want, but movement in arms and hands only makes them work harder to keep up.

You are doing great!

3 Likes

Thanks John. As far as not moving my body, I would have to consciously think about that and the distraction would be far more hinderance than any extra work I’m doing.

2 Likes