Song 46 - "Soul to Squeeze" by Red Hot Chili Peppers

Song: Soul to Squeeze
Artist: Red Hot Chili Peppers
Tuning: Standard (EADG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B72Q1uon78c

Spotify Link

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing this song for a while now. Itā€™s still not easy to play and itā€™s not my best effort, but itā€™s a really fun song.

16 Likes

Yes! I really enjoyed that. Lotā€™s going on and Iā€™m sitting here thinking ā€˜Itā€™s rare to not have any slapping in one of their songsā€™. Then at the 3 minute mark. Oh right there it is :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice job @Paul_9207 ! I like the micā€™ed amp setup as wellā€¦

2 Likes

Thank you @Barney. Iā€™m still trying to figure out slapping. Thereā€™s just enough in this song to get excited about it, but itā€™s not hard enough that I skip it.

Thank you @skydvr. I micā€™d the cab and I also went DI out from my Zoom B6.

3 Likes

That was great @Paul_9207! Youā€™re flying all over the neck and making it look easy. All around great playing, timing, tone, trills, slapping, very nicely done.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Really nice @Paul_9207
Youā€™re on fire this week.
Keep it up.
Such a good job, any ā€˜mistakesā€™ felt like they belonged thereā€¦and ainā€™t that the point for real playing? Awesome.

3 Likes

Thanks @John_E
Hopefully I can keep the forward momentum going.

1 Like

Awesome! This is really the only RHCP song I like and now Iā€™m inspired to give it a try :smiley:

2 Likes

Great job.
This bass line has always been a stand out for the way melodic bass can drive a song. Great job on a tricky one.

2 Likes

Thanks @Gio !

1 Like

This might be my favorite Chili Pepper song. I never tire of it, even after listening to it a million or so times trying to learn it. I remember recording this to cassette off the radio on a ā€œboomboxā€ because the only place you could get the song was The Coneheads soundtrack. I wouldā€™ve killed to have Spotify then. I also remember how much I enjoyed @Paul_9207 's cover last September and thinking ā€œIā€™m not ready for thatā€, and I wasnā€™t then. Maybe thatā€™s someone else out there now, keep practicing, youā€™ll get it!

Anyway, here it is, I hope you enjoyā€¦at least the parts where Iā€™m not trying slap and pop :laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me-KzMUA2zk

8 Likes

Great job @dlamson13 !!!

1 Like

WOW, this was fantastic @dlamson13
really really well done!

2 Likes

Thanks @Darryl and @John_E!

1 Like

great job! sounded so good.

1 Like

I think itā€™s the same for me. I actually did buy the Coneheads soundtrack on CD but have lost it over the yearsā€¦ I had a lot of fun working on this one even if it had to be done in pieces over many weeks. I decided to go with the Flea bass (a must!) here and applied a black and white filter on the video as a nod to the music video.

Now to some other business, Iā€™m getting frustrated with sync issues in these covers. Ever since I started having an issue with VLC not outputting video when Iā€™m converting MKV to MP4/M4V Iā€™ve been using Handbrake and it seems the video will start off okay but drifts off-sync as we go along :rage: I think I just need to start outputting directly to MP4 from OBS to avoid this snafu.

If you can forgive the sync in the later half of the video I think I did pretty nicely on the slap part. :smiley:

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the cover!

3 Likes

Nice one @cheeze_pizza ! This is absolutely right up there on the list of my favorite RCHP songs, and you nailed it.

My favorite part of this song is the fun little variation around 4:17, and it sounded great in your cover!

How long have you had the Flea bass and what do you think of it? I love the concentric controls, and while Iā€™m not generally a huge fan of relicā€™ed finishes in general, it just works so well on these and I even love the faded shell pink. I thought long and hard about one of these, but ultimately went another direction. So cool to get to hear you play yours!

1 Like

Thanks @fennario !

Iā€™ve had the Flea bass since June 2023 and I quite enjoy it. Itā€™s light-weight and has a great punchy vintage sound. The dual tone knobs also allow you to approximate a p-bass a bit better if need be. It has a vintage neck spec which I also enjoy.

As for the finish, I donā€™t mind the texture/feeling of the instrument but I feel they do go far overboard with all the dimples and raking on the horns. Road Worn tends to be more relicā€™d than a Journeyman finish from the Custom Shop. Hope that info helps!

1 Like