Song 5 - "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC

Thanks for the info. Lol, I didn’t even notice the little dots, let alone question what they meant.

1 Like

@Vince tried listening but the track is missing from Soundcloud. AC/DC are blockers. You can’t use YouTube either. The only place I found that worked was Vimeo.

1 Like

Ya looks like it got yanked, I played it but now gone.

1 Like

Darn blockers! Oh well, I don’t like the song enough to bother fighting to keep it up. On to the next one.

2 Likes

Working on the song myself via Yousician, there’s a huge difference between their basslines (both basic and full) and the bass missing backing track we have. I tried recording a video and it’s WAY off especially near the end of the song, so I’m going to try to memorize the sheet music from our Discord and see how that goes. I’ve noticed one other thing about everyone’s videos here in this thread…the difference in the guitar styles is amazing. I’ve played the basic baseline on Yousician with most of my guitars and my favorites are my Poison Apple J bass, the Squier Jaguar and the Yamaha BB G4.
I’m looking forward to Pam and John’s video training though. I can use my Logitech Brio (the same one I use for our hangouts) and it records the bass and video but I’m going to need to see about patching the sound from the computer through my mixer or audio interface so I can hear it in the recording too.

Greetings all! I had some fun with this one and hopefully dodged some copyright blocks at the same time by recording my own guitar tracks and muting the AC/DC track during the playback. I’m no Angus, Malcolm, or Cliff for that matter, but man I had fun pretending :star_struck: ! It was nice to learn a little about multi-tracking in Reaper as well. I’m curious what y’all think of the bass tone? I don’t have a proper bass amp yet so this is coming from the line out of my Fender Super Champ guitar amp. The weird thing is it sounds kind of crappy in the room but I actually like it in the recording, go figure? Thanks for listening

10 Likes

Nice. Tone is great.
Your timing on guitar without a drum is spot on. Some bass timing issues though. Since your guitar timing is so spot on I’d assume this is part of the learning curve of bass as it is for all of us and will improve as you get more comfortable on bass. You’re doing great and moving along quite fast! Excellent.

1 Like

Sounds like you had some fun playing with yourself on this one @dlamson13…. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nice tone and all, but for me, not so much of a timing issue as it is an attack issue. To me, it sounds in some spots as if you are attacking the song a bit more aggressively like you would if you were playing guitar…

FWIW, when I moved from guitar to bass, I dealt with the same issues. I realized it by doing the exact same thing you did with a cover song - layed down a couple guitar tracks and played my bass to them - no doubt a real eye (and ear) opener for me…

What I have found that helps (and works) for me when I want to lay multiple tracks using different instruments for a cover is to perfect the bass line first as normal. Once you have the bass line perfected with the original song, then mute out your bass track and then use the original song to perfect your rhythm guitar track. When that track is perfected, mute it from the mix and then again use the original song to lay your lead guitar track. This way you are always using the original song as the master and are playing all instruments based on it’s timing and attack. At least this is what helped me…. Bass attack is so much more different than guitar attack.

3 Likes

I really appreciate the feedback @JohnE and @Lanny ! It helps a lot. When I’m in the process of making the cover, I hear a bunch of things that could be better, but you guys help me narrow in on things to work on.

Timing is something I’m always trying to get better at, but up I haven’t been paying close attention to my attack/dynamics. When on autopilot my guitar brain takes over haha. I’ll see if I can even things out a little more on the next one. Thanks again and take care!
Dan

1 Like

Aesthetically, you really dont want perfection either. Quantized and pitch corrected music is boring when it lacks some of the human variability. It funny all the lengths people go through to make a perfect mix and many programs have a function to “humanize” music :slight_smile:

People have intentionally programmed electronic drums to sound “off” for as long as drum machines have been around eg J. Dilla.

1 Like

Nice work @dlamson13 ,
couple timing issues.
Nice tone in the mix,
Cheers Brian

1 Like

For some reason this song was much harder than it seemed.
https://youtu.be/4XVyZI2QU1I

2 Likes

AC/DC is very strict about copyright things.

You will need to load it to Vimeo for us to see it vs. YouTube.
When you load videos in YouTube, once processed you will see warnings on if it is blocked and where, etc.

UGG! Goddamn you AC/DC! I will set up a Vimeo account

So I looked at Vimeo briefly. I’ve been away for a week or so so I haven’t given any of this much thought but it looks like you have to pay after the first month. Is there a free version or do you guys all pay for an account?

ASAIK, you can use it for free forever but with upload restrictions per month.

I appreciate all your help John!

9 Likes

Good effort @doylecb
Need some attention to muting of the strings (which takes time), lots of erroneous string ringing going on.
Timing in spots as well could use a tidy up.

You are well on your way though, keep it going!!

3 Likes

Good one, @doylecb!

I don’t know why, but to me “slower” songs are always the hardest ones to keep track of the beat!

It seems that you’re having lots of fun but for some reason your plucking hand looks tense? So that’s my 2 cents: relax your hands and it will be easier to pluck!

1 Like