Song 5 - "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC

Ok. Lets try this for the third time!

3 Likes

Nice Job @Old_WannaBe
Your bass sounds great, nice and clear and loud but the backing track is super low though.
Some minor timing bits and blips but overall good job.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s my attempt at Highway to Hell. Partway through learning it I decided for the first time to give an honest try at using a pick. I enjoyed it a lot! Definitely flubbed some of the fills and came in way too late on the end part but Iā€™m happy enough with it and even more happy to move on.

P.S. enjoy cat cameo. Nothing like a goofy orange cat staring at you to ruin your bass face :cat:

9 Likes

Nice Job @RoyB
A bit of timing bits here and there.
This is a tune where nailing the timing makes a big difference as there are not a lot of notes.

one thing on tuning - yours is fine, AC/DCs isnt, you can see hereā€¦

If you find our discord server the corrected backing track is there.

Not sure how you are recording, bass is very loud in the mix.
Not a big deal here, as we can ignore that part.
Great effort, keep them coming.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @John_E, always appreciated!

Regarding the tuning - Iā€™m using the backing track I downloaded from Discord. Does it still sound out of tune?

For the volume, I usually crank up the bass a bit in my DAW to make it stand out more for feedbackā€™s sake. This video is also the first time I recorded with a compressor so I may have overdone it with the boosting. Iā€™ll keep that in mind going forward.

2 Likes

to me something is amiss, but maybe others will chime in

1 Like

Hmm your timingā€™s spot on, the setupā€™s good (nice bass btw!) but I just get the feeling that the tuningā€™s off a little. Then again the bass is pretty high in the mixā€¦

Good work with the pick ! Thereā€™s no way you can play ACDC without one IMO

1 Like

I love your cat, he was clearly trying to steal your show :smile:

2 Likes

Great timing on that one @RoyBā€¦. The version of the song you are playing to appears to be about 1/4 flat which is why it sounds out of tune. There are numerous songs out there (such as this one) where the song is listed as standard tuning, but run an alternative (slightly flat) tuning that doesnā€™t fall into the full 1/2 (one fret lower) tuning. For these recordings I have found that by using your ear to match the first note played, and then tuning from that note, youā€™ll be on keyā€¦. This is where learning to trust your ear over written tabs or notation comes in handyā€¦. Iā€™ve had to retune my bass (and guitars) several times to match the tones of a recorded song - this one is a great exampleā€¦.

4 Likes

Nice job @RoyB ,
Few timing things to work on, and I think the tone was really bright in the mix,
At least you had your audience engaged for your performance :sunglasses:
Keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

1 Like

Bass boosted audio only version.

oops. Guess I missed a song.

2 Likes

Hi @Vince Vince,
I THINK you did a good job here. I say think because the bass is really low in the mix and a bit to hard to hear, so I used the ā€˜do I hear anything offensive to my earā€™s expectationā€™ tactic and did not.
I think you were in tune and in groove though.
I like the graphics, but would like to hear a bit more bass.

@John_E Thanks. Hereā€™s a bass boosted version if youā€™re interested. I didnā€™t really care for the tone of my bass with this song so I just blende it in on the video. SoundCloud - Hear the worldā€™s sounds

1 Like

Ah cool, ok, now I can here.

So have a look at the chorus hereā€¦

Those little dots under the open A string notes indicate they should be played ā€˜steccatoā€™, meaning short, leaving little rests in between vs. one note blending into the other (basically, mute the note right after playing it). This gives the chorus a bit of a stomp-stomp-stomp vs. a booombooomboom effect. The G, A and D are normal note values.

I thought your tone was fine.
A couple timing blips but not anything to fret.

Great job!

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Lol, I didnā€™t even notice the little dots, let alone question what they meant.

1 Like

@Vince tried listening but the track is missing from Soundcloud. AC/DC are blockers. You canā€™t use YouTube either. The only place I found that worked was Vimeo.

1 Like

Ya looks like it got yanked, I played it but now gone.

1 Like

Darn blockers! Oh well, I donā€™t like the song enough to bother fighting to keep it up. On to the next one.

2 Likes

Working on the song myself via Yousician, thereā€™s a huge difference between their basslines (both basic and full) and the bass missing backing track we have. I tried recording a video and itā€™s WAY off especially near the end of the song, so Iā€™m going to try to memorize the sheet music from our Discord and see how that goes. Iā€™ve noticed one other thing about everyoneā€™s videos here in this threadā€¦the difference in the guitar styles is amazing. Iā€™ve played the basic baseline on Yousician with most of my guitars and my favorites are my Poison Apple J bass, the Squier Jaguar and the Yamaha BB G4.
Iā€™m looking forward to Pam and Johnā€™s video training though. I can use my Logitech Brio (the same one I use for our hangouts) and it records the bass and video but Iā€™m going to need to see about patching the sound from the computer through my mixer or audio interface so I can hear it in the recording too.

Greetings all! I had some fun with this one and hopefully dodged some copyright blocks at the same time by recording my own guitar tracks and muting the AC/DC track during the playback. Iā€™m no Angus, Malcolm, or Cliff for that matter, but man I had fun pretending :star_struck: ! It was nice to learn a little about multi-tracking in Reaper as well. Iā€™m curious what yā€™all think of the bass tone? I donā€™t have a proper bass amp yet so this is coming from the line out of my Fender Super Champ guitar amp. The weird thing is it sounds kind of crappy in the room but I actually like it in the recording, go figure? Thanks for listening

10 Likes