Song 5 - "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC

@MattHinchliffe
Nice tone and timing overall and well done man!
Some very minor timing bits but that comes with, well…time (no pun intended) and why we are here.
Love the growl you got on some of those notes!

4 Likes

Solid @MattHinchliffe ,
just a couple tiny timing things around 2.20 mark, but besides that really solid,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

To everyone who has performed Highway to Hell, I commend you for your effort. there are no bad performances. The only way to do a bad performance is to not do it at all.
Sorry I don’t comment on each one individually, but just know you have my full support for your efforts.

4 Likes

This was a bit frustrating to record, I think the most work this far except maybe for ABITW. The audio quality isn’t very good - I should switch to DAI/DAW - and I don’t know why I did that weird air drumming thing at the beginning. Playing-wise, I’m not super comfortable playing open strings (and I did play that one fill starting from E5 instead of open A), and there’s a bigg-ish screw-up when playing a fill after the solo, but it ended up sounding kinda amusing.

Feedback welcome, as always.

4 Likes

Hi @kowry
In general a very good showing.
Very good recovery from missing those notes, was seemless so that is good.
The one thing to pay attention to throughout that I hear is note length.
During the longer ‘chugging’ sections, there are rests in between the notes, you played these areas without any rests in between so the notes blend one to the next without the cutting off at the appropriate time. Try listening carefully to the song with bass as you learn it, it will give you clues to the note timing/tempo if you are unfamiliar with how to read tempo and rests, etc.

As far as recording, hard to get much better without a DAI/DAW, but its up to you if you want to start involving that part of things, folks can hear and see what you are doing.

Nice raking on the plucking hand.

2 Likes

Thanks! Good point on the note length, it’s something I realised when I had already uploaded the recording and listened to some of the takes posted here. I was going to say the tab didn’t have breaks marked but it did have staccato points, now that I looked at it! On top of that, I just kind of forgot to listen to the recording carefully :sweat_smile: I’ll really have to pay attention next time.

2 Likes

Sorry you are correct. I didn’t relook back. Staccato Vs rests per se, but you get it, cool

2 Likes

Having trouble at the end. Does the bass come in with the drums after about 8 beats of guitar "noodling’ or does it literally come in on the last vocal “highway to hell” as indicated in the chart

1 Like

Right at the end of Bon screaming “Woah!” (or “wow!” or however it should be spelled)…

“all the waaaaaaaAAAAaaaayyyy…(guitar noodles)…Woah!” (bass tremolo)

1 Like

Wow rhymes with bow

Whoah rhymes with bow

Love English. Whoah is the more correct spelling, but I see a lot of none native English speakers use wow.

1 Like

“There’s more than one way to spell a word” - some dummy at work a few years back.

1 Like

It’s true!

• Correctly
  • Incorrectly

:thinking:

3 Likes

Exactly:

Correctly - Colour
Incorrectly - Color

:slight_smile:

1 Like

If I remember correctly, you mentioned you originally came from Wales, right? You probably say aluminium too, you swish bugger, don’t ya?! :smiley:

That said, colour IS the correct way to spell it.

2 Likes

I pronounce it the American way because it’s easier for my little brain to say.

Lechyd da!

And THAT is so Canadian. Spell things British and pronounce them American.

Na zdrowie! (My background’s Polish).

1 Like

:rofl: Yeah, tons of examples of that. Thank god it’s my native language, or I think my head would explode.

[quote=“skydvr, post:168, topic:20831”] :crazy_face:
or I think my head would explode.
[/quote]

Wood it now?

2 Likes

Ok…Finally did it! Used my new Scarlet Solo. Figured out basics in Reaper. Got video and audio to synch. As for the performance. I give it a B. But I really am fed up with the song. So, there are a couple of dropped notes, but I just rolled with it. That 4 bar passage with the 8th notes accented like triplets just killed me every single take.

EDIT: So I got my first ever copyright claim WTF?

2 Likes

So ac/dc has to go on Vimeo.

Some bands are totally blocked on YouTube. This is one of them.