Song 7 - "House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals

great idea. I’ll have to try that.

2 Likes

Hey everyone, this is so far from perfect, but for my sanity, I absolutely must move on! I’m determined to memorize everything I play, and this was just so tough for me even though somehow, it seems like it should be simple… there are a variety of mistakes, but the end is a disaster.

6 Likes

First of all, that bass is beautiful!!! :eyes: :eyes:

This tune is a lot tougher than what it looks like on the surface.
Simple it is not.
I tend to find tunes like this with slight variations throughout are the toughest.
One thing to keep in mind, anyone playing this live would probably not give a crap about hitting each note exactly as written, but here, some of us try to do this (I am one of those) too. However, there is no way I am memorizing all these tunes only to have them immediately fall out the other side of my brain when I get to the next song, lol. Kudos for you trying to do that.

I think you did a great job in general here.
Sure, couple of flubs, but no biggie really. Overall was great. So you came up with a new ending…its no worse than the first, lololol.

3 Likes

You’re not alone in that @doylecb this is now my all time most disliked song ever ever ever ever after learning it.

Good job on getting after it. Onward to more fun tunes :+1:

1 Like

Ha ha! Thanks John! Yeah, I just had to be done and couldn’t memorize the very end!

I am so with you! I liked it less and less each time I played it… at least the Hank Williams song that comes up Next is very, very simple and should take less than 24 hours.

I love this song, but after reading the comments here I am afraid I’m going to hate it by the end of the cover :sob:

Will be attempting this one today, let’s see if I can learn it in a day :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Seems like I’m in the minority of people who actually like this song. Had many issues trying to record and settled for a low quality phone recording… time to move on. First 2 bars skipped to sync up with video/audio.

https://youtu.be/YRUlo0SEbE0

4 Likes

Pretty good job here @Anderson
Other than a few blips and blops, I hear you ahead of the beat quite a bit, rushing I would say, unless this is a result of a syncing issue?
There are many times you are spot on though and then you lose the groove.
The faster plucking is quite a bit off towards the end and then you correct for that too.

This tune is a lot harder than it leads on, which is why a lot of us are not so keen on it.
Keep 'em coming!

2 Likes

Yeah, I had a bit of a hard time keeping steady with the beat at times, but as you pointed out, I kept listening for those cues to sync back up. This was a straight from phone recording, so Audio and video are one. The track is playing through the aux in.

2 Likes

Nicely done @doylecb!

Memorize the chord progression, count to 3 and the song is yours. I feel like a lot of the variations the original bassist used were probably “game time” decisions. They are tasteful for sure, but not iconic enough that you need to memorize them note for note IMO.

Don’t say a disaster, say you were playing “modes” and you’ll have more fanboys than you can count! All kidding aside you did great, and you don’t have to scroll up very far to see all of us complaining about this tune, not an easy one.

2 Likes

All pieces of solid advice!

It ain’t perfect, but it’s good enough. I still love this song but I don’t think I’ll ever play it again. Time to move on. Also, after listening to the isolated bass track thoroughly, these two bits don’t seem to actually be in the song, so I didn’t play them :metal:
Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 10.12.00 AM
Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 10.12.16 AM

Anyways, here’s my passable take
https://audio.jukehost.co.uk/xzTyPgKfzce1wukTDJsI8xHHr032Ws2m

3 Likes

Fantastic job @Ant
I forgot mid tune I was listening to a cover - honestly.

As others in this thread have mentioned, this is not a great song to play. Still can listen to it (not for a while though! lol), but I have no desire to play it again.

This one was another one I rushed through, did not care for learning or playing this one. Spent a short amount of time doing some practice runs and then recorded. I came in a bit late at the beginning and had quite a number of timing issues and rhythmic/note mistakes closer to the end when the tempo of the song increased.

Overall not a satisfying result, but I’m calling it “good enough” and moving on. Seriously, I am not happy with this one… but, I honestly can’t bear to do this one again.

A few comments I do have though (which may come off as a bit of a rant, I’m just frustrated at the moment)…

(Ramble On)
I don’t think this was a great choice for song number 7 as it presents a number of challenges (imho), at this stage of playing. As @Ant pointed out, there’s some parts in the tab Josh provided that don’t seem to be in the original recording. I listened very intently through several methods of isolating the bass track and just don’t hear what I’m seeing in the sheet music. Additionally the tab provided does not indicate any tempo changes, at my limited experience level, it seems there’s a few throughout the song, particularly towards then end, which don’t come through on the Noteflight playback, which gave an added issue of having to change what was learned via the sheet music when recording. Also, because of the fact that its a fairly long phrase and in a time signature that wasn’t dwelt on too long in the course (if I recall correctly), with a number of variations (as pointed out previously by others, these seem to result from that particular recording take by The Animals), just doesn’t seem to make it a good fit at this point in the covers progression. Again, this is only my take on it, some of it born out of frustration. So, take the comments with a grain of salt.
(Ramble off)

So, here’s my submission (decided to do the “Reaper in the background thing again”):

https://youtu.be/C-4iTC8PtTE

3 Likes

I can’t say I had a lot of fun with this one… You can certainly sense my excitement in the video :laughing:

I enjoy the song, however there were many attempts at getting all the rhythm changes correct. Add in the few strange measures and that had me going in circles for a while. In the end, I took a few liberties of my own on those odd measures. That hard C still sounds wrong but I left it in.

Original bass track not removed as it really made the track sound terrible in the mix. I went with the Squier P Bass again for this one. I also added my Cali 76 to the signal chain and used that primarily for compression instead of the amp and interface. I can’t add much more as my notes are somewhat incomplete.

Thanks for checking it out. :smiley:

3 Likes

“it’s been the ruin of many a poor boy” So true!

I move on. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very well done again!

1 Like

As someone mentioned before I also took the “play more notes when it gets louder” approach instead of memorizing all the changes and then it was enjoyable to play.

Still a couple missteps and 1 clearly wrong note but overall not terrible and ready to move on.

1 Like

Nice overall, you already called out the couple of missteps in timing.
Tone a bit nasaly for me but otherwise nice.
I did think you lost the groove a couple times when notes got faster, which is the purpose of the tune to teach about.
I personally hated this one, it is not as easy as one would think.