Song 9 - "My Girl" by The Temptations

3 Likes

I loved learning this song. I just got it memorized and posted the video so I can move on but I’m gonna keep this as part of my practice routine so I don’t forget how to play this song.

1 Like

Nice job keeping the beat @doylecb!

The beat and groove/feel on the intro/reintro are correct, however, on the choruses and verses you are playing everything as eigth notes verses quarter note then eigth notes (see below). This fundementally changes the groove and ‘feel’ of the tune.
Try it both ways and see if you hear, and feel, the difference.
And have a listen to the original as well.
This is an important part of your bass journey.
It will serve you well to get used to this type of detail as you progress

Otherwise, very well played.
Keep 'em coming!
And still love that bass

2 Likes

Hey @doylecb good lad for getting after this challenge. Here’s an example of what John was talking about. If you listen to the play along it’ll help you tie the musical notation to the sound of an eighth vs a quarter note. I regularly use play along videos to help me learn new songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY-oWLwb0Zs

2 Likes

Good call Barney and John. I absolutely see what you mean. In my mind it’s more that I was rushing to the rest which led me to play the note too short. Either way same result. I definitely hear how it sounds like eight minutes.

1 Like

Phew! I’ve given this one more attempts than I would like to count in the past week or so. I’m calling it done for now. I might come back and re-visit this one in the future. Lots of timing struggles and one particular measure kept getting me…

Played with the Flea Jazz Bass with foam mute. All tone rolled off and each pickup at about 80%. I ran this into the Darkglass Microtubes 500v2. XLR out to a Volt 276 and then into Garageband. Video recorded with OBS. I then brought it all together in
iMovie. Original Bass removed by Moises.ai.

Thanks for checking it out!

4 Likes

Hello:-)
Working on this and a couple of others and I wonder if the included sheet music is wrong, is it not originals? Might just be me, but I think it’s a bit faster than 100bpm and has some ghost notes etc. I can’t get it to match with the music when I try to read it. Same goes for House of the rising sun.

How did you do it, did you use the sheet music? Do you just follow the song, or do you set the bmp when you record and follow metronome?

This might just be me and my bad ears, but I dont want to learn songs and then figure out there is a lot more to them. Because I think it is hard to change something I have learned, easier to do it right the first time.

Maybe I am wrong, but better to ask. :blush:

2 Likes

Way up on the thread (before my time here) there is some talk about the Ghost notes. @John_E was kind enough to post a screenshot of it in this post.

I love this song and still play it. Now that I’ve grown as a player, I find it natural to sprinkle ghost notes like this in. Back when I first recorded it I didn’t even know what one was lol. Overall these transcriptions are much better than a majority of what’s out there IMO.

3 Likes

@JoshFossgreen might have simplified some of these tunes IIRC to have them fit in the “easy” portion

3 Likes

Tnx for the reply, then it is not just me thinking wrong about this. :slight_smile: Still has so much to learn so I guess it doesent matter if there is some small things missing. More importent to just play to a new song every week I guess and do training every day. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have found that each of the 50 songs is there to teach you something.
Josh is quite clever in chosing them.
From trickier string crossings, to scale shapes, to chugging, etc etc, he selected each one to demonstrate and have you practice skills he taught and you learned in B2B.

The bonus is if you can spot in each song what technique he is having you work on.

1 Like

Tnx for your reply. I understand that, and the fact that I felt something was of is probably good learing too. :slight_smile:

Will finish the B2B and then rest of the songs one by one. Learning something new everyday. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Indeed! It meant your ear is dialing in to what you hear and play.
The fact is most all tabs for bass (and guitar for that matter) are wrong. Free, paid for, “official” - they all have issues. It’s a thing. I spend countless hours trying to perfect Beatles tabs for recording as I like to get them as close as possible, and they are probably still wrong. Lol.

In the end, play it so it sounds good to you at your ability level. Result - no one else will ever know lol

3 Likes

I did a tiny bit of that, but most songs are 100% faithful, including this track. It’s VERY easy to hear false ghost notes on this song because…

of the kick drum! Motown kick is very thin in the sub range, and Motown bass has no top end, so they overlap frequency-wise a LOT. It’s easy to mix up a kick drum with a ghost note on the bass.

I’m convinced my chart is pretty solidly accurate to what the bass actually played… but I am also a fallible human!

4 Likes

Hello @JoshFossgreen . Thank you for your reply.:slight_smile: I bought the original track to hear the bass, not just listen to the bassless version and Youtube playalongs. I guess you are quite right about the kick and the ghost note. Bmp of 105 I still think is right to get Noteflight to sync with the music. Guess i just have to never question the sensei. :slight_smile: Play the songs and stop thinking to much. Have a lovely day! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here is my version of My Girl, it is really bad with a lot of mistakes but I have to move on. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Very nicely done Johnny B!

1 Like

Great job on the tone @Johnnyb. Absolutely loved it.

This song is deceptively tricky.
The easy ones can be a bitch sometimes.

Took me a while.
Super fun easy riff to play though.

3 Likes

Fun song

4 Likes

Very well done @myheadsmt91 ! Loved the tone.

1 Like