Speaking of pet pictures

The black lab we had when I was a kid did the same thing…

Hmmm, not sure our girl, Judy, did THAT, but she did open the window to let herself out and go down to the shops for treats. The first few time we thought we’d been broken into because the window was wide open but the dog was in the house. We later found out from the shop owners that she would go along the row of shops and get sweets from the newsagent, skip the greengrocer, go to the chip shop (if it was open) and get some chips, then double back along the row and get a bone from the butcher. We thought they were all winding us up, but then a friend told me that even the customers were part of the routine and she would wait at the main road until somebody was crossing then cross with them. It wasn’t unusual for me to be in school in the afternoon and have a friend tell me that my dog had been at the shops at lunchtime - scrounging chips and bread off the kids.

Bloody smart dogs when they’re motivated.

4 Likes

I can’t believe there wasn’t a pet section when I was last a regular around here. I’ve shared some pics of my animals on occasion, but not in a dedicated thread, so here goes!

Ben, our old rescue Lab, who sadly passed late last year. On his final visit to the vet he was an absolute trooper and took it all in his stride (we think he fancied the vet) and enjoyed having a whole Mars Bar to himself (called something else in the US). He fell asleep before she finished putting the needle in and only took half the dose he should’ve needed for his weight. He knew it was time and he snored his way out of this world cuddled in my arms. I still cry at the pain of missing him and his ashes are on the cabinet.

Posie is our first, and we’ve known her since she was 4 weeks old. She’s smart, energetic, fiercely loyal and a right bloody diva! She won “Waggiest Tail” 3 consecutive years at the largest outdoor dog show in the UK (no, not Crufts). She tolerated having Ben around because he doted on her but gave her space. She is starting to slow down at 10 years old but when she wants to she can still wrap Jack in knots.

And finally (because I’m not going to share photos of all the hens we’ve had over the years), this is Jack who came to us at the start of Covid lockdown as a rescue puppy on adoption terms - and never left. He is supposed to be a golden retriever / poodle cross, but we’re convinced that he’s a wolfhound / poodle cross. He had a horrible start to life and spent his first 4 weeks at the rescue centre in isolation. He’s since decided that our 3 acres is mostly enough for him but that the 9 cows in the field next door are happy to receive his visits (they’re not in the least bothered by him but we still try to discourage it). He isn’t as smart as early signs pointed to, but he knows how to do standing up hugs, will slow dance with you, and I’m teaching him to box.

Too many photos? Too bad!

16 Likes

This is my cat today. I needed that box.

15 Likes

No, not that box. That is the cat’s box :smirk_cat:

6 Likes

Aww, @PeteP . . . some great pictures there! :+1:

Now I really miss my own dog again :frowning:

Cheers, Joe

6 Likes

Sorry Joe. I know what it’s like, and some of the stories here have made me miss Ben all over again. We only rescued him when he was 7 and thought we might have him for a couple of years but he lifted our spirits for nearly 8 years.

7 Likes

You Can’t.
Heck, I couldn’t resist, and I have neither the land nor place to keep one.

6 Likes

You’re a very bad person: you’ve got me thinking I should be checking the classifieds for unwanted horses to populate my 3 acres. Nobody else is really using it…

The only criteria: any new residents must be willing to play with a big dog.

6 Likes

Most of the 11 we have are good with dogs @PeteP :+1:
Saves mowing the grass too :joy:

6 Likes

My wife has wanted donkeys for years. I tried to make a compromise and get Alpacas so there was some sort of revenue. Right now even the hens don’t have free run of it all, and only the occasional invasion of the cows next door fills the space.

Dwarf goats are also still on the list of possibles.

Q: “Is 11 a lot?”
A: “If it’s your lottery winnings, then no. If it’s the number of horses one person owns, then yes, it’s a lot!”

9 Likes

Is it a lot of basses to own? I think the answer may vary quite a bit on this here forum. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

Not really: 11 basses is never a lot, but some people might be content with that number. Lightweights and people with no ambition, that sort of person.

8 Likes

I don’t even have room for two! I am a weakling.

8 Likes

I give all my love to my one bass, Rosie the BB735. I’m also having an affair on the side with Stella the EUB.

7 Likes

These are my boys :slight_smile: Ace, Jeeves and Jasper. Jeeves and Jasper are brothers that I adopted in April. I couldn’t split them up because they’d bonded. No real hardship haha.

16 Likes

Thought that I’d add a pet photo. This is Ebony, a Black Russian Terrier, relaxing after a hard day. We also have her daughter who is now going on 3.

16 Likes

She looks pretty relaxed, alright . . . :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

This is Mokas

Mokas had the habit on sitting on my pedals. I have a Wiretap, and had wondered why I had hours of silence recorded. Eventually I found out

This is Zoe

Zoe likes my pedals too but it’s more respectful

And this is Sebas (not mine!)

17 Likes

A couple of photos of my pet lizard, Beardie. :slight_smile:
She’s still young, so that’s why she looks small.

18 Likes

I love lizards. I have dozens of them in my back yard feasting on scorpions.

7 Likes